jQuery not supported.

2001 Silverado ABS kicks in under 10km/h

2001 Silverado ABS kicks in under 10km/h

Postby AirPuffedSugar [OP] » Jul 29 2020, 11:12am

When I first got my truck, at very low speeds (typically coming to a stop) the ABS would kick in. Initially not frequent, it's quickly causing the ABS to kick in quite strong. Thankfully I haven't rear-ended anyone! I've pulled the ABS fuse for the time being, but would like to resolve the issue before winter hits.

Combined with the fact that the speedometer is somewhat "stuttery" under 10km/h, and the vehicle also pulls to the right below these same speeds, I feel fairly certain it's an ABS speed sensor. Now, I've pulled one from a salvage yard for cheap (I hear new ones only work with new hub assemblies, depending on the manufacturer) and am planning on tossing it in once my bodywork is done. I figured I would go this route to see if it works, if not I'll replace both wheel hub assemblies and call it a day.

My question is, which side should I replace the sensor on if the vehicle pulls to the right? I've seen conflicting information on multiple forums, and I'd love to get some insight before I'm tearing my brakes apart!
Original Poster
AirPuffedSugar
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4x4 4.10ar
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2001 Silverado ABS kicks in under 10km/h

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 29 2020, 12:21pm

If you have ABS problems you should have an ABS light on the dash and codes stored in the computer which will help steer you in the right direction to continue diagnostics.
I would be happy to help with diagnostics but I will not entertain hanging used parts randomly on your truck in hopes you plucked the right part.
I would agree you could have issues when replacing the sensor especially if the hub or hubs have already been replaced with Aftermarket or OEM updated parts.
At this point you have no clue if the sensor you bought came off a original OEM hub a updated OEM hub or an Aftermarket hub so really you are playing parts Russian Roulette. To make it worse we really do not know if there is a difference or not between OEM parts or aftermarket.

If this was my truck and my problem to fix I would only use OEM parts yet I feel your pain you have a older rusted out truck and from what I seen online OEM sensors for your truck can cost more than 100 bucks each while sensors for my 2015 GMC only cost around 16 bucks each.

What might help others that may want to help you play around with used parts is to know when your brakes are pulling. explain more about this.
Do your brakes pull to the right when braking all the time or just when the ABS kicks in? or does it pull right all the time braking or not?
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Jul 29 2020, 12:28pm

There is probably a code being stored for the specific sensor, but I believe you'd need a special reader to get that information. But if you plan to do both, sensors or hubs, it's a moot point anyway.

I had the ABS issue for a while, and it's fairly unsafe to drive like that, or even with it off...not to mention at least on my truck, pulling the ABS fuses gave me 10 nice loud dings when I started the truck, last thing I need early in the morning...lol

Anyway, if you're pulling to the right, that would mean the right side is being slowed down, and the left side is pushing and thus, pushing to the right...however, I didn't have any serious pulling..but I also likely had both bad sensors. I just wound replacing both hubs anyway, because they were already 5 years old and the sensor was built in already, pretty simple swap.
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 178
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby AirPuffedSugar [OP] » Jul 29 2020, 6:57pm

Before pulling the fuse I had no warning lights on the dash at all. Also, I’ve tried a couple different code readers and scanners, nothing pops up.

Yeah, OEM parts ain’t happening. Hell, if I have to end up buying hubs it’s going on the credit card as that’s the only way I can afford it right now. That’s why I’m taking a chance with a $15 sensor right now in case it works to avoid debt. For the budget I had, this truck is the best I could’ve gotten but it’s still pretty damn rusty which is a real heartbreaker.

As far as braking goes, it only pulls to the right at speeds below 10km/h. Any braking above that speed and there’s no pulling of the brakes in any specific direction. I’ve actually swapped all 4 discs within the last 3000km as well, but the issue was there before the brakes were swapped and still persists.
Original Poster
AirPuffedSugar
Topics: 8
Year: 2001
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4x4 4.10ar
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Jul 29 2020, 7:03pm

The ABS won't do anything over a certain speed anyway, so that's why it's only felt when you are slowing down. The system thinks the wheels are still moving much faster and knows you're trying to stop...so it engages when it doesn't need to...and effectively forces your foot off of the pedal...and the pulling will only be felt when the system is operating...

If the one sensor doesn't work, I would recco getting a pair of Timken hubs with sensors...
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 178
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Return to Brakes