jQuery not supported.

best brake upgrade for sierra

best brake upgrade for sierra

Postby bbruce [OP] » Dec 03 2016, 3:00am

Please forgive me if i'm posting this incorrectly, I'm new here. I have a 2014 sierra with max tow package. about 55000 miles on it. Recently did a tire rotation, and brakes look like they have a lot of wear left. I'm not normally hard on brakes, so this does not surprise me. This truck sees about 20000 miles a year. 16K of it is just a daily driver. The rest of the time i pull either a light snowmobile trailer, or our pretty heavy travel trailer. I know its not an HD. Our trailer is about 8300 pounds loaded, well under the stated capacity of 11,300lbs, but still a considerable weight behind a half ton. It would be nice with this trailer if i had just a little more brake on the truck end. Wondering what would be a good upgrade without spending thousands. Some day i will likely own an HD, but for now this is what i have, and quite honestly it does everything i need it to do, and i get decent milage back and forth to work. Almost every mile is put on it here in the flat land, very little hills or mountains,
Original Poster
bbruce
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: best brake upgrade for sierra

Postby Gozzie » Dec 04 2016, 12:26am

If your travel trailer has brakes wouldn't be cheaper to get a brake controller.
Gozzie
2009 Silverado Extended Cab 4x4
5.3L flex fuel 4 Speed
Gozzie
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 6 Speed LTZ
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby bbruce [OP] » Dec 04 2016, 5:08am

travel trailer does have brakes, and the truck has a factory brake controller, just was wanting a little more help up front, if you go to hard with the trailer brakes you skid tires on trailer during hard braking, and have very jerky stops on light braking events.
Original Poster
bbruce
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Fisger8new » Dec 04 2016, 5:24am

Powestop Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow brake disc and pad kit. I've run them on multiple trucks and a lot of others around here do also. I don't know about on the newer trucks but know it gave a significant boost to braking ability on all the trucks I have run them on.
Fisger8new
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 15
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 Vortec Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby n0trab » Dec 06 2016, 3:30pm

Power Stop K2069-36 Z36 Severe-Duty Truck And Tow 1-Click Brake Kit from Amazon is awesome!

-Sean
n0trab
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 LTZ 5.3L Vortec
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FOURDAWGS » Dec 06 2016, 4:25pm

got mine thru Auto Anything
Image2008 GMC Z71 KMC Hoss 20" Rims, Dick Cepek Fun Country tires, Westin Bull Bar, RC 3.5 Premium Lift Kit, CAI System., Extang tri-fold bed cover, In Tune tuned, Bilstien 5100s, Protected by Springfield Armory! Stopping supplied by POWER STOP.
FOURDAWGS
First Responder
First Responder
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 29
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3V8 HD1500
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby MrMomOC » Dec 07 2016, 7:57pm

I just had the Power Stop Z36 kit put on my 2015 1500, I also swapped out the brake lines because I felt like the stock lines were a bit mushy. Really like the feel of the Z36. Keep an eye out for sales this time of year, I ended up getting a great deal through Summit Racing.
MrMomOC
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Extra Info: 1500 - Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bbruce [OP] » Dec 08 2016, 3:43am

Sounds like it is unanimous, with the powerstop brakes. Thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye out for a deal and run these factory brakes till spring then. Ive got to give GM credit there, these factory brakes have a lot of life in them. Getting a lot more life out of these than i got on my previous truck(03 sierra). If you never tow or haul anything heavy, i bet you can get 100k miles on a set of factory brakes.
Original Poster
bbruce
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bruin » Dec 12 2016, 4:55am

I agree, I also put on the Power Stop Z36 hd, way better than factory!
Bruin
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 4X4 Ext cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby UnlikelyHero » Dec 12 2016, 5:23am

I don't tow much but my rig weighs 7,020lbs with me in it and a almost empty fuel tank so I'm going the run EBC's Extra Duty pads and their BSD rotors when I need to change mine out.
2015 GMC Sierra SLT All Terrain Crew Cab | 6.2L Ecotec | Mobility SVM | EMC-Digi
UnlikelyHero
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: Mobility SVM 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Brakes