jQuery not supported.

Brake light on dash lit after drum brake replacement

97 c1500 5.7L brakes

Brake light on dash lit after drum brake replacement

Postby mrpd1501 [OP] » Apr 10 2016, 4:19am

Hello all,
I've been helping my neighbor get his 97 C1500 running and road worthy again after he had a motorcycle accident followed by an accident that resulted in totaling his '12 Silverado. After replacing the fuel pump, we noticed that the rear drum cylinder on the left side was leaking. I replaced both cylinders and the shoes, and the brakes work, but the e-brake doesn't seem to engage, and the dash brake light is on.

The reservoir is full
The parking brake switch tests good
I double checked my work on the replacement of cylinders and shoes against the book, and it looks like it's right. However, this is my first time touching drums. Trying to help a good neighbor get back in the game is going hard left on me.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to tear the brakes down again and make some adjustments?
Original Poster
mrpd1501
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1997
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.7l v8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Brake light on dash lit after drum brake replacement

Postby CJM8515 » Apr 10 2016, 5:39am

Low brake fluid if the dash light is on all the time. As for the e brake not engaging, are you sure its adjusted properly? Shoes need to be adjusted properly too, 1 spin and they should drag.
CJM8515
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Apr 10 2016, 5:51am

Check master cylinder resv usually has two chambers make sure both to full mark. Mark sure float is not stuck.
Welcher774
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby mrpd1501 [OP] » Apr 10 2016, 5:55am

Good call on the float. I didn't know there was one. The reservoir is full.
Original Poster
mrpd1501
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1997
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.7l v8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes