jQuery not supported.

Brake pads and rotor question

Brake pads and rotor question

Postby richbrad08 [OP] » Feb 26 2014, 7:20pm

So i have a 02 silverado ls 5.3 ext cab. I started to get a loud squeal while driving thought it might be my front brake since that's where i thought the noise is coming from. I replaced the front pads even tho when i went to do them they still had 50% life left. But the pads i got where a B**** to put on i actually had to take the caliper bracket off to put them on i never had to do that for anyone of my vehicles.
Wearever Gold Ceramic Brake Pads is what i bought. was it just me or the brand. So now the noise is still there check out the back i was shock there was hardly and pad left and i figured i will take the rotor off to check the drum part as well( Since my parking cable does not work). Noticed it needed adjusting so i am waiting to buy pads. How long do these rotors last? the rear i know has at least 250K miles on them because the little lock was still on the rotor. PLus loctite was still on the bolts.
I am pretty good with cars with changing fuel pump and rack and pinon anything outside the engine i can fix. why where the pads a pain and is it normal to see that many miles in a rotor
Original Poster
richbrad08
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Brake pads and rotor question

Postby richbrad08 [OP] » Feb 26 2014, 7:21pm

i am the second owner of this truck and the last owner had hardly any problem with this truck. Farmer truck
Original Poster
richbrad08
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby richbrad08 [OP] » Apr 29 2014, 12:42am

?BUMP. could my caliper bracket be bad? i really need help because i know pads dont take 30 mins a side and dont require a prybar to get the caliper off, and the pads are so hard to put on
Original Poster
richbrad08
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby salopeck65 » Apr 29 2014, 1:34am

usually brake dust and dirt/grime build up on the caliper bracket. I like to take the wire wheel to it and clean it. Be sure to lube it up with some "purple goop" aka ceramic brake lubricant. Auto parts stores sell it in little disposable bags(like advil comes in from a vending machine)
salopeck65
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4.8l WT
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby CT2500HD » Apr 29 2014, 2:21am

With that many miles on the truck and being unsure what got changed when, I'd do pads/rotors/shoes/calipers/brake cylinders all around. And fix the e-brake. If you have rear disc brakes, you have a drum-in-hat e-brake shoe that is pretty much just like a drum brake. Easy to replace the shoes, springs and pins. Take a picture before you dissemble for reference. Use brake grease on contact points, on the inside of just about every box of brake shoes/pads, there's usually a picture of where to grease. If you don't have anti-squeal shims, just the red brake-quiet goop on the backs of the pads where the pad contacts the caliper.

If you replace rotors, the most important break-in task is bedding the brakes. Google that for procedure.
CT2500HD
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 19
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD RCLB 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby richbrad08 [OP] » Apr 30 2014, 3:54am

I don't think it's the buildup on the calibersbracket because the pads themselves or hard to put in place
Original Poster
richbrad08
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby richbrad08 [OP] » Apr 30 2014, 8:49pm

Here a picture passenger side rotor and driver side the top part looks like its the only part stoping
Attachments
20140430_144233.jpg
20140430_144221.jpg
Original Poster
richbrad08
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby richbrad08 [OP] » May 02 2014, 12:47am

Believe its my front caliper bracket. Look at the back and they where even on both sides my front are slanted
Original Poster
richbrad08
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes