jQuery not supported.

Brake Rotor Question

Im Confused

Brake Rotor Question

Postby jimmys5600 [OP] » Nov 05 2019, 10:31pm

Hi All, I see ads from different suppliers regards to their "upgraded" rotors. They state that they offer improved stopping.
If you rotors are above discard with no runout I don't understand how a higher end rotor would make a difference.
What say you?
Original Poster
jimmys5600
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Brake Rotor Question

Postby ricka182 » Nov 05 2019, 10:56pm

Usually an upgraded rotor would mean it's been slotted, drilled, or both. That will help dissipate the heat that builds up, and in turn, perform better when stopping. How noticeable? That depends on how you drive. I have Powerstop rotors and pads, and I definitely felt a difference in stopping, and that was just after a lift went on, it needed the extra stopping, and it was better than stock for sure.
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 171
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Den69RS96 » Nov 07 2019, 3:31pm

Most of it is marketing bs. Sure new rotors and pads will be an improvement over the worn out ones that your replacing. Unless you increased the rotor size or use drilled and slotted rotors for extreme braking, not much braking improvement will happen by installing replacement rotors. Drilled/slotted are great in racing applications because they vent away the gas and dust generated when the brakes are applied. They also cool a bit better. The downside is they are prone to cracking.

The best upgrades you could make would either be using a more aggressive pad compound or installing a larger rotor/caliper set up.
Den69RS96
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Crew Cab 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tatsngats » Nov 07 2019, 3:52pm

I have Powerstops but just the non- slotted ones. They work great and are all in need. I do tow my 5000 lb trailer occasionally and I have zero braking issues.
Tatsngats
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 56
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 CC 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes