jQuery not supported.

Can't get the brakes to bleed

Can't get the brakes to bleed

Postby Burtle [OP] » Oct 08 2016, 3:24am

I just bought a 1995 1500 Z71 ext. cab short bed. 160,000 miles. For the most part it's in good condition. It needs the typical rocker/cab corners replaced and a few odds and ends. I bought the truck with known brake issues.

its been sitting for 4 years because the other owner got tired of fighting the brakes.

fitst thing I noticed was the master cylinder was bad. I replaced it. Bled the brakes and they still won't properly work. The brakes go clear to the floor and you have to pump them to get stopped.

I did bleed the master cylinder first and I've bled the brakes I don't know how many times. I just can't seem to figure out the issue. The ABS light is on. I've been thinking maybe a bad wheel sensor(s)? Bad abs module? None of the lines are leaking and I don't see any kinks in the lines.

Anyone have any advice? I can't seem to find anyone with a obd1 scanner. The shop wants 100.00 just to plug theirs in.
Original Poster
Burtle
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1995
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 95 Chevrolet 1500z71
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Re: Can't get the brakes to bleed

Postby Toasted_311 » Oct 09 2016, 12:32am

You'll need a scanner to perform an abs brake bleed.
I've done so much with so little for so long, that I can do anything with nothing
Toasted_311
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 double cab
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Gozzie » Oct 09 2016, 1:06am

The abs on the the 95 is different from the newer trucks. Do a search on bleeding the abs. I'm sure I read a couple of posts about disconnecting the ground at the abs to get it pumping, or something to that effect
Gozzie
2009 Silverado Extended Cab 4x4
5.3L flex fuel 4 Speed
Gozzie
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 6 Speed LTZ
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Oct 09 2016, 1:40am

Just for kicks look at the fromt caliper bleeders. Are they on the top? If so then proceed if not the calipers were replaced and put on wrong side. When I first learning years ago had a 91 [email protected] pu replaced calipers and put on wrong sides. Bleeders were on the bottom I bled till I turned blue. Had a mechanic friend stop by the house goes to bleed them and says on wrong side swap them and bleed issue solved. Might help you maybe not worth a shot.
Welcher774
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby krmosl95 » Oct 11 2016, 8:54pm

If the pedal is extremely soft you could also have a bad booster. You may check into that as well. Fairly cheap to replace, and I would recommend it since the master cylinder was bad. They run a little over 100 bucks at O'Reilly's.
krmosl95
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2003
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes