jQuery not supported.

Front drivers side ABS wire ripped out. How to repair?

Front drivers side ABS wire ripped out. How to repair?

Postby username48 [OP] » May 09 2018, 1:13am

Hi all,

This thread is regarding my 2001 Sierra 1500 SLE extended cab.

So recently my truck threw an ABS light that has been on constantly since. I figured I'd order an OBD scanner on Amazon before I try to diagnose it, only to find out regular OBD scanners don't read ABS codes... Oh well. In any case, I've been driving around for a solid week since the light came on without issue.

Having diagnosed an ABS issue on my mom's Chevy Equinox, I knew some of the basics to look for. I turned my wheels to the left and lo and behold, the grey wire that runs behind the front drivers side wheel is ripped out completely. Appears to be in tact on the passenger side. See this image of the culprit: https://i.imgur.com/9d64LOA.jpg

You can't see it in the photo, but the plastic clip closest to the end of the wire was also completely loose. So, I have a few questions for the much more knowledgeable people on this forum. I would appreciate some insight before I try to tackle this myself.

1) I'm guessing this is the wire that runs to the ABS sensor on the wheel and tells the computer how fast the wheel is spinning, correct?

2) What could cause this wire to be ripped out? From what I can see, it doesn't look like the wire was heavily corroded, though I can't see where the wire is supposed to be attached without removing the tire. The only thing I can think of is one of the Costco tire technicians accidentally undoing the plastic clip when I had my tires changed over about a month ago, causing it to slowly rip out from vibration.

3) Can wheel misalignment put stress on this wire and cause it to get ripped out? When I bought my winter tires at Kal Tire, they told me I needed a wheel alignment. I wasn't inclined to believe them since I had an inner tie rod replaced and wheel alignment done the previous Summer by a mechanic I trust. Nonetheless, if my wheel alignment was severely messed up, could this rip out the wire?

4) Is this something I could potentially reattach with my trusty soldering iron, or will I need to replace the entire hub that houses the ABS sensor? (This was the part that needed replacing on my mom's equinox, so I figured I'd ask). If it can be fixed with a soldering iron, does anyone have any tips for doing this?

I appreciate any insights anyone can provide. I will also mention that a couple times before the happened, when going very slow in a parking lot, i could feel some vibration in my brake pedal and there was a bit of resistance. Almost like a click I had to overcome. I didn't have any issues actually braking afterwards, and this only happened two times a couple weeks apart (in the exact same parking lot, coincidentally). The ABS light did not come on at all when this happened, and it didn't feel like ABS kick back. Don't know if it's related, but thought I'd throw it in.

Thanks!
Original Poster
username48
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Front drivers side ABS wire ripped out. How to repair?

Postby nealinator » May 09 2018, 1:20am

You can buy a new wire harness. Goes into the middle are of the back of the wheel (hub).

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/che ... ensor,1912

Something may have caught it and ripped it out. Have you been driving through any debris or wooded areas?
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby nealinator » May 09 2018, 1:22am

Here is an install video. Scroll to about the 5:00 mark to see where it goes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeWFZQiK9II[/youtube]
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby username48 [OP] » May 09 2018, 2:09am

Thanks for the response! No, I haven't been driving through any debris or wooded areas. It's RWD, so I don't take it off-roading or anything. Just normal highway and city driving. That's what makes this so puzzling.
Original Poster
username48
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 1500 SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes