jQuery not supported.

Front rotor balance

Front rotor balance

Postby Matthewsteven1989 [OP] » Dec 02 2019, 7:01pm

Alright guys, back again. 07.5 sierra z71. Vibrations above 60 mph and seem to get worse in the steering wheel the faster you go. EVERYTHING has been replaced in the front except brakes and rotors. New tires, same issue, new wheels and tires, same issue. New u joints, driveshaft checked. New cv axles but i dont like how the chevy cv axles have play in them... can the brake rotors be out of balance? I'm at a loss now...
Original Poster
Matthewsteven1989
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Front rotor balance

Postby MIKE91B » Dec 02 2019, 8:58pm

It is possible for the rotors to be out of balance but I have never seen a case where that caused a vibration. I have seen lateral runout cause vibrations. This is usually extremely warped rotors. Vibrations are always tough to diagnose over the net but it looks like you have replaced all the usual suspects.
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Matthewsteven1989 [OP] » Dec 02 2019, 9:11pm

Its definitely not a warped rotor bc it doesnt shimmy and doesnt get worse when I hit the brakes.

I'm curious if it may be the strut bushings. I replaced them with new ones from rock auto but I've noticed with the weight of the truck on them at ride height the bushing in the lower mount at the control arm so soft that it pushes out and the block that bolts to the control arm isnt centered but is at the top side. I'll post a pic
Original Poster
Matthewsteven1989
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Matthewsteven1989 [OP] » Dec 02 2019, 9:12pm

The lower strut mounts
Attachments
20191202_131700.jpg
20191202_131851.jpg
Original Poster
Matthewsteven1989
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby plant.one » Dec 02 2019, 9:15pm

it seems like you've been chasing this vibration stuff for a while now...

i havent gone thru all your back posts...but there seems to be a history of numerous problems potentially causing issues with this truck being a paint shaker.

have you had it into a professional mechanic or god forbid the dealership for a diagnostic yet? paying someone $100 to diagnose this for you hands on once and for all may end up saving you hundreds of dollars in useless wasted replacement parts. just something to consider.
08 silverado 1500 LT Z71 4x4 CrewCab
Stage 1 Cam, DOD/AFM Delete, Performance Valve grind, Port/Polished intake/exhaust, custom tune.

StormTrooper

Plant.One's 08 Stormtrooper build
plant.one
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 4x4 Crew LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Dec 02 2019, 9:17pm

So did you ever replace your worn diff bushing or throw a diff drop in it?

Why do people keep making new threads for the same issue. All the facts and info keeps getting lost.

@ricka combine all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 97
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B » Dec 02 2019, 9:31pm

Well then you need to have a qualified NVH (noise vibration and harshness) technician look at it. The PICO scope will need to be used to determine what frequency the vibration is at and then it can be traced by magnitude. Your best bet is to stop guessing as it will only cost you more money. Time to diagnose this the scientific way.
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Matthewsteven1989 [OP] » Dec 02 2019, 9:37pm

plant.one wrote:it seems like you've been chasing this vibration stuff for a while now...

i havent gone thru all your back posts...but there seems to be a history of numerous problems potentially causing issues with this truck being a paint shaker.

have you had it into a professional mechanic or god forbid the dealership for a diagnostic yet? paying someone $100 to diagnose this for you hands on once and for all may end up saving you hundreds of dollars in useless wasted replacement parts. just something to consider.

I dont know of any place around here in south Arkansas that has the equipment or even smart enough to diagnose this... that's why I haven't
Original Poster
Matthewsteven1989
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CritterGitter » Dec 02 2019, 9:42pm

Just because you don't know of a place doesn't mean its not out there with some amount of "acceptable proximity"... Do some research on NVH qualified shops and see if there is an option. As many have stated, you don't want to continue to spend money on replacement parts that aren't the issue.
CritterGitter
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2011
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B » Dec 02 2019, 9:54pm

GM dealerships have NVH techs. I have the training but without the vehicle and the tool I’m of no use. Take it to the dealer and explain what you have done and what the problem is. Tell them you want them to perform a test with the PICO scope and if they look at you with crazy eyes find another dealer.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Next

Return to Brakes