jQuery not supported.

Parking brake cable adjustment 2013 Silverado 1500

Parking brake cable adjustment 2013 Silverado 1500

Postby KHE [OP] » Jun 06 2021, 7:08pm

I used my parking brake a week ago at the boat ramp and when I stepped on the pedal, I heard a "pop" and the pedal went to the floor.

I looked under the truck and the left and right rear cables were broken. The intermediate cable with the adjuster was corroded so I replaced all three.

What is the procedure for adjusting the cables? The nut on the original cable was about 2" away from the end but I am reluctant to set it to that position and would like to know what the correct procedure is. I replaced the rear brake shoes since they were almost shot.
Original Poster
KHE
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Parking brake cable adjustment 2013 Silverado 1500

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 07 2021, 1:08am

Basically, if the shoes were just replaced (assumes drum brakes), then I am also assuming you adjusted the rear brakes properly.

The parking adjustment is to just keep taking up the slack in the adjuster nut. The parking brake pedal will gradually get higher and firmer. You want the pedal to be very difficult (or impossible) to push all the way down to the floor. It's basically just done by feel. Obviously, you don't want it too tight, as this would put a constant drag on the rear brakes and quickly overheat and wear out (or lock up) the rears.
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Parking brake cable adjustment 2013 Silverado 1500

Postby KHE [OP] » Jun 07 2021, 2:39am

Thank you for the reply. I set the pedal two to three clicks and then adjusted the slack out of the system and it seems to function properly. With the parking brake released, the wheels turn freely and with it set, they are locked.
Original Poster
KHE
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes