jQuery not supported.

Parking Brake rebuild needed

Parking Brake rebuild needed

Postby dakotaford1991 [OP] » Apr 29 2015, 1:20am

hey guys, 2001 extended cab 5.3 silverado here my backing plates are soo rusted out that my parking brakes have literally fallen off. i ripped the last pieces off that were grinding around in there. but now i need help knowing what all to get to rebuild them. i live on a steep steep hill and my trans has a very hard time shifting in and out of park on this grade. really gotta get this repaired before i break someithng. im already planning on getting left and right cables, the middle one still works. but everything behind that is gone... literally haha. if anyone has a comprehensive overview of everything on the axle in there id appreciate it
PS: i just bought a full rotor and pad kit from rockauto and installed it all and de-rusted/re-greased all the guide pins. those were nasty.
Original Poster
dakotaford1991
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Parking Brake rebuild needed

Postby 6.2AllTerrain » Apr 29 2015, 1:21am

you can get the backing plates and parking brake stuff from a salvage yard.
2017 F*** F250 6.7 PSD Bronze Fire Metallic, 2.5" Rancho level, Fox resi's, Fuel Rampage 20X10 2 piece, Nitto Terra G2 37/12.5
6.2AllTerrain
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 31
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 6.2L
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby dakotaford1991 [OP] » Apr 29 2015, 1:30am

ive thought about that, its an option. but i was kinda looking for new parts. im not a fan of salvage yards. ive been to three or four and everytime i go they want more money than i can buy the parts new for. so i end up leaving it at the desk. like $100 for a taillight assy! or $300 for a cv axle??? outrageous prices there. (my reason for buying new.)
Original Poster
dakotaford1991
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dakotaford1991 [OP] » Apr 29 2015, 6:00am

well, i ordered a pair of backing plates, and a hardware kit. ive torn them all apart tonight and just dunno what im getting into. hopefully this is all i need to get this rollin again :/
Original Poster
dakotaford1991
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silvery13 » Apr 29 2015, 3:09pm

With a VIN I may be able to pull up a parts diagram.
Not a member of the "club", not a self appointed "this or that", not a legend in my own mind.
Conceptual Polymer High Efficiency Catch Can, DynaPro ATM RF-10 255-70/18, Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded, Bilstein 5100s
Silvery13
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 EcoTec 5.3
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Servicemen
Registered users

Return to Brakes