jQuery not supported.

Rebuilt Master Cylinders Failures.

Rebuilt Master Cylinders Failures.

Postby John Buffum [OP] » Mar 24 2020, 10:48pm

OK. So far, I've spent $700, $300 of that at the stealership, to find out that you can't seem to find a rebuilt master cylinder that will last more than a week. This is the feedback I get from the independent mechanic, Meinecke, and the stealership. I'm back to the independent mechanic to put in the fourth master cylinder. For my 2002, new GM is not available, according to the stealership. If you buy Napa, Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly's, of Joe's Auto Parts, they're all rebuilt by the same Chinese factory. The stealership buys theirs from O'Reilly.

At least the independent mechanic I started with isn't going to charge me for the job.

Are you finding this, too?
Last edited by John Buffum on Mar 24 2020, 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't underestimate the Rambler. It had a drop back bench seat. For a teenager, well, use your imagination.
Original Poster
John Buffum
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Rebuilt Master Cylinders Failures.

Postby Z15 » Mar 24 2020, 10:54pm

Buy AC Delco, pretty good chance its not made in china.
Brake Master Cylinder
Part Number: 18M1107
Product Notes:
Brake Master Cylinder
All; w/Hyd Booster

Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1999-2002
Vehicle List

Brake Master Cylinder
Part Number: 18M1159
Product Notes:
Brake Master Cylinder
All; Vac Booster

Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1999-2002
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2016 Polaris RZR 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 237
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Vendors
Registered users

Postby John Buffum [OP] » Mar 25 2020, 1:00am

Well, I'm not making this up. The stealership can't get these. At least that is what they told me. I'll pass that along to my mechanic.
Don't underestimate the Rambler. It had a drop back bench seat. For a teenager, well, use your imagination.
Original Poster
John Buffum
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Mar 25 2020, 1:11am

Amazon shows a new Dorman for $43.72.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-03-24-19-09-45.png

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

91300 miles 3/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs pending

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 85
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby John Buffum [OP] » Mar 25 2020, 1:32am

I remember, when I was a kid, you could buy parts, and they'd always be good, unless you bought them from JC Whitney. Even then, JC Whitney sold brands like Moog, Felpro, and even Delco. Today, there's no telling what you're getting. I've had good luck with Dorman, from Autozone. All my brake pads and rotors are Dorman, My air mass sensor is Dorman. Apparently, though, the luck changes with master cylinders. The mechanic bench bleeds it, tests the resistance, and it's fine. He installs it. It drives fine. Then, a day or so later, it fails. New fluid, so that's not to blame. No. It's not air. He removes and bench tests again, and gets leakdown. It's like the formula for the rubber inside is wrong, and the fluid eats it.

Many moons ago, (1970s), I was an automatic transmission mechanic. There was one year, we got bad seals and O rings. Drove the bosses NUTS with come-backs. It would road test just fine, but fail a week later, leaking and not holding pressure in the lip seals. Bad rubber.

Rubber is a very complex substance. It is usually specifically formulated for very specific conditions. Get the formula wrong, and your component fails.
Original Poster
John Buffum
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RivGuy » Mar 25 2020, 7:48am

I agree with you on the rubber compounds being complex and sorry you've had so much bad luck with your attempts to do what should be an easy job.

Hopefully you can get the AC Delco Master Cylinder as Mike posted and be done with the headache.
I have had very good luck with Cordone products also. They have US based engineering and some US manufacturing. But even if they sub out the manufacturing, the engineering specs they supply to the subs and the quality control they use is excellent.

Things certainly are very different these days than they were even 10 years ago, when it comes to replacement parts. I have learned to only seek out OEM parts if available otherwise get a high quality replacement with a good warranty.
I know you said you couldn't even get OEM from your dealer. I would look for another dealer cause that's **** business practice from them.
I have heard of people having trouble getting OEM parts from dealers even though the factory is still supplying the parts. The parts managers at some dealerships are just trying to pad there numbers by buying aftermarket and charging OEM prices.
It helps the Parts Departments bottom line and profits as well as the Manager of the department gets bonuses based on profits every month.
That all depends on the individual dealerships policy though.

Good luck with the next try at it.
RivGuy
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L HO Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Mar 25 2020, 11:36am

John Buffum wrote:Well, I'm not making this up. The stealership can't get these. At least that is what they told me. I'll pass that along to my mechanic.

You can buy them on AMAZON....

ACDelco 18M1159 Professional Brake Master Cylinder Assembly
by ACDelco
4.0 out of 5 stars 17 ratings
Price: $102.59 PRIME & FREE Returns

ACDelco 18M1107 Professional Brake Master Cylinder Assembly
by ACDelco
4.5 out of 5 stars 6 ratings
Price: $134.78 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2016 Polaris RZR 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 237
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Vendors
Registered users

Postby John Buffum [OP] » Mar 25 2020, 7:31pm

I bit the bullet and told the mechanic to buy the Delco if he could find it. Tired of foolin' with it. He'll pass the cost on to me.
Original Poster
John Buffum
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Zrock » Mar 26 2020, 3:53pm

Out of all these master cyl that have been replaced has any of the techs checked the rod length? If its the wrong one or set to long it will push the seals out... Im almost betting their is another issue as i have never seen 4 bad cyl in a row.. I can see one or 2.... Could also be a line collapsing somewhere causing things to over pressure back through the system.. Like trying to pump water through a closed valve its gotta go some ware
Zrock
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby John Buffum [OP] » Mar 26 2020, 4:41pm

I'm sure the stealership mechanic checked this, and I'll pass that along to my mechanic.

The lines are all open, but they're rusted. I'm going to schedule a total replacement as soon as some stock dividends come in in April. Now would be a VERY BAD time to sell stock to pay for this. I'm not the Government ;) I can't declare there's suddenly two trillion dollars available when there isn't.

I wonder what's next. Oh well, whatever it needs, it gets.
Original Poster
John Buffum
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Brakes