jQuery not supported.

Service Stabilitrak, ABS, and traction control light error

Service Stabilitrak, ABS, and traction control light error

Postby DominicB24 [OP] » Mar 06 2018, 3:21pm

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 Z71 with a McGoughys 8 in lift, and 35 in tires. I have had the truck since 2014 and the lift since 2015. I recently had it in the dealership (Jan 2018) for warranty recall including the power steering. It has 96000 miles on it. Last night I was turning right into a parking lot and my Service stabilitrak light, ABS off light, and traction control light came on and it felt like the ABS kicked in while applying brakes to slow down. It felt like the brakes were pulsating when I pushed them. Now when ever I turn right (sometimes left a little fast) the same thing will happen. It also does it if i am traveling and hit a bump it will briefly flash. I don't loose power, or any weird thing happening on my instrument panel. I don't hear any noises or anything coming from the front suspension, and my cruise control still functions. If I press and hold the traction button it will turn off traction control, and issue still happens. I can replicate the problem if I am driving in a parking lot at a slow speed and I drive in a straight line and turn quickly right and left back and forth (snake pattern).

I have read through the other treads last night and this morning, and have seen numerous fixes from ground, brake switch, bearings, wheel postion sensors, steering sensors, and I would rather not replace all these at once, so I figured Id reach out, with a detailed description of my problem for a more pin pointed suggestion.
Thanks
Dominic
Original Poster
DominicB24
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Service Stabilitrak, ABS, and traction control light err

Postby idrivea2005sierra » Mar 06 2018, 5:37pm

I would start with the wheel speed sensors. If one is damaged it will send a false positive to the ABS controller and could easily trigger all those warnings. I believe they are replaceable and aren't that expensive.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 45&jsn=464
~Spencer
2005 Victory Red GMC Sierra, 5.3, Z71, CCSB
2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0, it's not stock
1991 Avanti Convertible, weekend cruiser and project OEM+ restoration
1961 Willys CJ5, currently undergoing chassis off OEM+ restoration
idrivea2005sierra
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Mar 06 2018, 6:10pm

do these trucks have some sort of an accelerometer in them with the stabilitrak? based on how you can replicate it in a parking lot, I would guess it would be something like that.
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 48
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jpmaniac » Mar 06 2018, 7:30pm

Yup, sounds like the Wheel Angle Position Sensor... Pain to fix, gotta drop the steering column, but only took a couple of hours and the part was less than $60 or so

Here's the video I used to help me out in knowing what to expect, of course you probly want to get it scanned to make sure that's the issue first. It's either $90ish at the dealer or a $200ish dollar code reader that can handle body codes. If I could go back, I'd probably buy the code reader, but I paid the $90 diagnostic fee at the dealer. They wanted to charge somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range to fix this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me494ovD24A
Jpmaniac
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2012
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DominicB24 [OP] » Mar 07 2018, 5:17am

Ok so I have an update. I went out an purchased a scanner tool as recommended. I got back the following codes. I am not able to look them up because I am having issues with the innova tool and my macbook. I am looking for an old PC laptop so I can install the software. Until then I am posting the codes here and see if anyone ran into this issue, and the fix with this additional info.

C0040-04
Right front wheel speed sensor circuit-open

U0422-71
Invalid data received from body control module - invalid data

U0101-00 Lost communication with transmission control module

Appreciate all the suggestions.
Original Poster
DominicB24
Topics: 4
Year: 2014
Extra Info: LT 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jpmaniac » Mar 07 2018, 5:30am

Check the right front hub for play, might need to replace it.
Jpmaniac
Topics: 27
Year: 2012
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Deafvl800rider » Mar 29 2018, 8:04am

I have 2008 gmc sierra 4x4. Had same issue. OBDII with ABS from AutoZone show front right sensor is bad. Actually, both front bearings were bad already when I checked. I ordered two new bearings with sensors included. I replaced it. DIC and ABS still showing. I went to AutoZone and asked guy to reset ABS. He did cleared the code and no showing anything on screen when he re-ran ABS scan. But ABS, Stabilitrak and Traction control still on and flipping in DIC. Suggestion? Just want to shut up those annoying fliping message. Lol
Deafvl800rider
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l 4 door 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GMC man » Mar 01 2019, 8:13pm

I have a 2010 Sierra with the same problem. It is intermittent at the moment but my question is, does anyone have a problem with their 4X4 because of this?
GMC man
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: sierra 1500 SLE Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Deafvl800rider » Mar 02 2019, 2:18am

I just took my truck to shop last Nov 2018. Before sending to shop. I bought a new ABS brake board to replace broken one (it's actually malfunctioning which is why). I swapped the board and screwed it back on (under the truck at driver side). I fired up engine hoping warning DIC go away but it didn't. Then sent it to shop. Cost me $80 and they found simple problem.. It's the wire jack for ABS brake at Rear Right wheel section came loose. They simply reset the wire, bingo! DIC and ABS lights went out. Now it's working normally and I was able to drive safely on snowy and icy road. (I had too much fun on that).

Let you know don't bother using or buying OBDII with ABS scanner. It's not worth your $$$ unless if you have Tech 2 scanner and subscription to GM to allow Tech 2 scanner to work with your truck (must have VIN ID provided and pay $25 to download firmware for scanner then can use it. Actually, "Service Traction Control/Stabilitrack" and ABS light don't need to be reset. It'll clear on its own if you replace or fixed the problem, pretty straightfoward.

All you need to check for fuse 1st, Brake switch 2nd (Brake switch also have ABS switch combined inside which is why you see 4 wires on jack) I just went ahead and replace it cuz it's only $13 bucks at auto parts), check wiring on each wheels ABS. Check grounding "0" ring crimp with wire for ABS and transaxle shift motor (Make sure if there's rust and corrosion there, clean contacts on "0" crimp and frame real good and shiny then screw grounding bolt back in and spray black rustolem paint to prevent corrosion and rust). If DIC and ABS don't go away. You might as well check ABS sensors (it's hall effect transistors itself). There is possibility that front wheel bearings may be worn and grind on ABS sensor. Mine was damaged and I bought two new wheel bearings sets which have new ABS sensors installed. Replaced both bearings and hooked up ABS wire jacks, I had to be sure it's snaps together properly. Checked rear ABS sensors and it looks fine. Be sure that it is not loose either. DIC and ABS should clear itself. Learning that OBDII ABS reset won't do amount, It'll clear itself if problem fixed. If you still have problems then you might want to check for broken wires between ABS sensors and jack. If wires are fine and plugged correctly, then last thing you should check is ABS board. This is the most expensive part to replace. Luckily, I spotted and grabbed clearance in Ebay for $86 while rest of them over $200. New board finally fixed the problem after I sent it to Dealership because I have pretty much given up and it's cold outside. So glad that it's a simple problem they fixed it quickly.
Deafvl800rider
Topics: 2
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l 4 door 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GMC man » Mar 03 2019, 5:08pm

Are you talking about the connection when you say wire jack?
GMC man
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: sierra 1500 SLE Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Brakes