jQuery not supported.

Shaking when not using brakes

Shaking when not using brakes

Postby Jinbammin [OP] » Jun 11 2021, 6:30pm

05 Silverado 2wd. Driving down the highway 60-75mph I develop a rough shake that shakes the entire truck, I can’t drive out of it by going faster or letting the truck coast itself down out of speed, hitting the brakes trying to stop makes it feel like the truck is jumping. I’ve replaced upper and lower control arms with new bushings new shock new inner and outer tie rod new rotors and pads new ( reman) calipers I did pull the slides out and grease them, as well as the new soft lines from the caliper to the hard line on the frame. I know it’s a braking issue simply by how hot the left front wheel gets. I can put it around town (30mph) and it’s fine, the steering will get a little tight when it’s acting up as well as how the pedal feels. I’m stumped and am tired of throwing parts at it trying to chase the issue. Any help or at least a point in the right direction would really brighten my day.
Original Poster
Jinbammin
Topics: 1
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 2wd 5.3 4 door
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Shaking when not using brakes

Postby 00pooterSS » Jun 11 2021, 9:27pm

If the brakes are sticking try replacing the master cylinder.

Sounds like it's going bad and holding pressure on the brakes and heating them up really hot which will lead to warped rotors and shaking.

If the pedal is harder when it's doing all this, and the brakes are getting really hot then something isn't releasing. Good chance it's the master cylinder.
2014 Sierra SLT. K&N intake, ported TB, SE headers, 3.5" exhaust, dropped 3.5/5.5 custom drop by me. 24's. Tuned by Sam.
00pooterSS
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 12 2021, 1:04pm

Get an IR (infra-red) temp gun, and then go for a drive. Maybe get it up to speed to produce that symptom, then quickly pull over and measure rotor temps with the IR gun. If the left front temp is 350* and the right front temp is also 350* (or close), then the issue could be as suggested above - master cylinder.

However, if the IR gun shows 350* on one side and 140* on the other side, then you know you have troubles on the hot side. There's most always only two things that are gonna cause one side brake to heat up; a sticking caliper, or a bad flex line.

At this point, since you have replaced both of those items, I will not make a guess until you post IR test results. Drive around, test temps at all 4 wheels under various conditions, and post back here please.

Another possibility might be hub bearing going out, that could cause heat and shake.

Either way, be careful driving this thing 'til you get her fixed. Sounds a bit dangerous.
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jinbammin [OP] » Jun 13 2021, 4:06pm

I’ll grab an ir gun on my next day off, luckily I live in a small town and am able to putt around most places I go. Wheel bearing/ hub assembly were both replaced around a year ago they spin freely and there is no play in them either. My thoughts have leaned towards master cylinder but I’ve been told by a few people that if your master is going out you just simply won’t have brakes anymore which I haven’t fully believed as that seems like it would only happen when the master completely fails.
Original Poster
Jinbammin
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby speedracer2016 » Jun 13 2021, 5:41pm

Had a F*rd pickup that did almost the same thing. Just did a brake job using all new parts everything went together just fine. On test drive smelt something burning. Stopped and saw the front rotor/brake was glowing. Come to find out it was the front brake hose. It had become defective on the inside and would not let the pressure release. Not saying that is YOUR problem but could be another item to take a look at. Good luck..
speedracer2016
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Classic - 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 13 2021, 10:11pm

speedracer2016 wrote:.... Come to find out it was the front brake hose......

Good suggestion, but in first post, he said he replaced those. ;)
Chevy-SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 13 2021, 10:20pm

Jinbammin wrote:I’ll grab an ir gun on my next day off, luckily I live in a small town and am able to putt around most places I go. Wheel bearing/ hub assembly were both replaced around a year ago they spin freely and there is no play in them either. My thoughts have leaned towards master cylinder but I’ve been told by a few people that if your master is going out you just simply won’t have brakes anymore which I haven’t fully believed as that seems like it would only happen when the master completely fails.

Bad M/C symptoms are typically felt when you hold pressure on the pedal and it slowly goes down to floor. That's an indicator that one (or more) of the internal seals have failed. I've been doing brake jobs for almost 50 years and have never seen a M/C fail completely and abruptly. Most common issue for loss of (most) braking is brake line popping through. Most common issue for brakes overheating is a sticking caliper.

You will love an IR gun. I have a bunch of them, they come in handy for all kinds of things in the car-fixing world. Let's say your engine is running odd and you're curious if it's firing on all 8 cylinders, well, go for a ride, then hop out with IR gun and shoot temps at each exhaust manifold port. If you've got one that's cooler, then you know you got an issue.

IR gun also works great in kitchen. Did you know that the best frying pan temp for scrambling eggs is 300 degrees? haha , just thought I'd toss that out there. I love scrambled eggs. :)
Chevy-SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 00pooterSS » Jun 14 2021, 8:29pm

Make sure nothing is obstructing the brake pedal from FULLY returning to the stop. If the pedal doesn't release all the way it wont let the master cylinder let the fluid back in and it will start pressure jacking.

Based on your description it sounds like it may be pressure jacking now (you said pedal gets stiff when the brakes drag) That's an indicator that fluid pressure is building in the system and not releasing. Rubber brake hoses are notorious for causing this. And usually a master cylinder only does it if it has been replaced and isn't made correctly/or needs brake rod length adjustment to allow it to release fully.

Usually a master fails in the low pedal fashion where the internal seals fail and the pedal starts getting close to the floor. This is usually also intermittent when the problem begins and worsens as under hood temps build.

All the above is "USUALLY"

With automotive I would never say ALWAYS. Weird things happen.
2014 Sierra SLT. K&N intake, ported TB, SE headers, 3.5" exhaust, dropped 3.5/5.5 custom drop by me. 24's. Tuned by Sam.
00pooterSS
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jinbammin [OP] » Jun 15 2021, 12:21am

When the brakes are operating correctly you don’t really feel it get on the brakes until 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the pedal travel.
Original Poster
Jinbammin
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bdoc70 » Jun 22 2021, 5:43pm

Is the wheel hub getting hot? You could have wheel bearings going bad. Jack up that wheel and grab the wheel and check for side to side movement top and bottom and left and right. Failed wheel bearings will certainly heat up...and certainly cause you to lose a wheel if you let them go too long. Just a thought...if you find it's not the brakes.
bdoc70
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Brakes