jQuery not supported.

Source for rebuilt ABS unit?

Source for rebuilt ABS unit?

Postby 99er [OP] » Jan 30 2021, 8:36pm

I was hoping to be able to rebuild my ABS unit, but that is not going to be possible. Just too much corrosion. Pretty interesting to take it apart, though.

You can buy rebuilt modules for this thing, but I have yet to find anyone who rebuilds the entire assembly. What I have is a Kelsey-Haynes, but I'm not sure how to tell which model it is. Searching for a replacement has me thinking that there is NO interchange of this part with other vehicles. That doesn't seem possible... I've found a couple in salvage yards within an hour of where I live, but that's a crap shoot, of course. Both are from '99 Silverado 2500s.

Appreciate any info you might be able to share. Thanks.
Original Poster
99er
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 LS 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Source for rebuilt ABS unit?

Postby Walkers » Jan 31 2021, 12:16pm

I have found that you will never find an exact matching number unit, but in the end they all seem to swap with no problem, so used, from a wrecking yard not in Minnesota would likely be the way to go.
Walkers
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 65
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 99er [OP] » Feb 04 2021, 9:51pm

Well...

I eventually figured out that I could buy the ABS modulator valve body assembly as a new unit, so I swallowed hard and dropped $300. That one hurt.

Also ordered the Dorman ABS reman. control module. $247 after core. Double ouch. DIdn't have much choice, however, at this point.

Module came with a note that says "...may require tire size relearn after installation." Anyone had any experience with this?
Original Poster
99er
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 99er [OP] » Feb 17 2021, 10:32pm

Well, my saga continues... Six days since I've worked on the truck. My garage is not insulated and it's just been too cold here in MN (-20°F overnight, highs below 0°). Finally a break from the bitter cold, so I'm back at it.

Everything is put back together and I need to bleed the brakes. I've done all four brakes, and now need to bleed the ABS. I broke down and bought a scan tool with that capability - the Foxwell NT630 Plus. It connects, reads the VIN, loads all menus, but cannot communicate with the ABS module. I've double checked connections at the ABS unit, and fuse is good. It seems to me that there are 3 possibilities.

1. This tool does not work with my vehicle.
2. The reman ABS module that I bought is either the wrong one or it's dead.
3. There's a wiring problem. The cable bundle running back there did get pushed around a bit as I was running new brake lines.

I have a support request into Foxwell. Wondering if anyone on the list is using this tool successfully with a '99-'02(?).

Thanks.
Original Poster
99er
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby talon118 » Feb 17 2021, 10:35pm

Stay away from dorman, just my 2 cents;.
2011 GMC Sierra 1500
20x9 xd misfits 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, Recon Smoked Cab lights, 2" RC level kit with 2.5 rear block, Diablo inTune 87 tune, Muffler Delete Dual side, Z71 cluster inlay/white needles
talon118
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 99er [OP] » Feb 17 2021, 10:41pm

Yeah, I've heard a few reports. The only unit Rockauto sells is the DORMAN 599865, and that's what I bought. I had a tough time figuring out which unit to buy, trying to match up numbers, etc.
Original Poster
99er
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 99er [OP] » Feb 18 2021, 11:54pm

Was in contact with Dorman today. They said that the module is likely defective. Rockauto is sending me a replacement.

What sucks about this is that there is no way to test it before installing again. I wonder if I could just plug it in before mounting it to the modulator, then see if the scan tool can connect with it.
Original Poster
99er
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TennMan » Feb 19 2021, 12:26am

I own a Foxwell NT630 Plus. This is just off the top of my head - seems like I remember reading the ABS bleed function will not work if the ABS light is on. Is your ABS light on?
Ronnie
2001 Sierra 1500 SL - Storm Gray / Graphite interior- ~147K
Just your basic short bed truck. 4.3 V6 -- Automatic -- 2WD

TennMan
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 4.3 -Automatic -2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 99er [OP] » Feb 19 2021, 12:27am

Thanks for your response.

No, the ABS is not on.
Original Poster
99er
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SonsSilverado01 » Feb 23 2021, 2:05am

I grabbed an abs module from a u pull and save yard in Michigan took about 5 min with cutting the brake lines and the electrical wires. Then removing the 3 bolts for the bracket. Cost was $30... that being said I pulled it Sunday and haven’t put it in yet... we will see if it works ok. Also got a rear end and a charcoal canister and a rear bumper and a 2003 dash to convert the 2001 to a double din radio... I love those u pull places... feels like Christmas... I like rock auto too but I’ll take the cheap way from time to time.
SonsSilverado01
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2001
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Brakes