jQuery not supported.

Spongy brakes 09 silverado

Spongy brakes 09 silverado

Postby Jhouck1201 [OP] » Apr 29 2021, 2:34am

Hello I'm wondering if anyone can help with this issue I'm having I had a caliper stick on my front passenger side so I replaced the caliper and the brake hose bled them there's no air in the system.

The issue I'm having is when the truck is off I have a hard pedal when I turn the truck on I lose almost all braking pressure I have to push the pedal pretty much to the floor to stop.

When I turn the truck off again my pedal goes back to normal and gets hard.

I also have a service stabilitrak and traction control light that came on at the same time all of this happened right after I put the new caliper and brake hose on makes no sense.

When my truck is running I unhooked the vacuum line and capped it and I get ny brake pedal back when I hook the vacuum hose back up I lose almost all breaking pressure again
Original Poster
Jhouck1201
Topics: 1
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 5.3l 4 speed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Spongy brakes 09 silverado

Postby Chevy-SS » Apr 29 2021, 3:05pm

Well, based on limited info, I am gonna say you still have air in the system. Did you let the master cylinder run dry? If so, you may need to start by doing a 'bench bleed' procedure on the M/C.

Are you getting any codes??? What are they? Did you cycle the ABS module during bleeding? This requires some sort of scan tool or software, readily available but costs a few bucks.

These trucks are tricky on brakes. I've been doing brake jobs for over 40 years, I owned two service stations at one time. In the 'old days', brakes were easy to bleed, there was no ABS. Just get a helper to pump the pedal, and bleed away. I rarely had any problems getting a perfect pedal. Nowadays, with ABS modules and all the extra lines, bleeding is more complex, it has to be done perfectly and thoroughly, otherwise you get soft pedal.
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Apr 29 2021, 5:08pm

Did you bleed the ABS as Dave said? I believe it requires different equipment and/or a scanner of sorts. You cannot do it old school...

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

121,008 miles 04/01/21

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 118
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Bluedeacon » Apr 29 2021, 5:30pm

I had this on my '95. Try bleeding from the bottom up - you'd be amazed! I use a hose with a syringe clamped on attached to the bleeder. Pretty soon you hear bubbles, and get pressure back. Brake shops couldn't figure it out, guys off the S10 yahoo list told me about it.
Bruce Pike

Currently
2001 Silverado K1500 5.3
1999 Dakota 3.9

Claimed by Iowa road salt:
'93 S10 2.8
'92 Dakota 318
'95 K1500 350
'97 Blazer
'00 Blazer
Bluedeacon
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: K1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jhouck1201 [OP] » May 01 2021, 12:40am

It was weird I actually just let it sit over night and took the cap to the resivour off and when I came out the next morning I had my brake pedal back to normal and no lights so must've just been a super stubborn bubble that worked itself out never had this much trouble getting the air out
Original Poster
Jhouck1201
Topics: 1
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3l 4 speed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby badbruin44 » May 01 2021, 2:46am

You might want to keep an eye on the fluid reservoir and remove cap from time to time in the short period just to make sure air is gone and fluid full.
[gallery][/gallery]
badbruin44
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L CAI Gibson
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » May 01 2021, 1:27pm

Jhouck1201 wrote:It was weird .....

Yes!! That is a great way to succinctly describe Chevy truck brakes. I have friends who have been in the auto repair business full-time for 40 to 50 years.... and they say the same thing... mostly about GM truck brakes.... weird, sometimes difficult (or impossible) to get a perfect pedal.

My own truck is perfect example of 'weird', I have re-done the brakes from top to bottom, S/S lines to replace rubber flex lines, new M/C, calipers, rotors, various pads, all assembled with meticulous care, measuring run-out on every new rotor to ensure smooth braking, carefully torquing each lug nut, bleeding GALLONS of fluid through & cycling the ABS..... and sometimes my brakes (and pedal) are just dead perfect... but most of the time, my pedal is a little bit soft and the brakes are just so-so. :roll:
Chevy-SS
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes