jQuery not supported.

Stainless vs oem brake hoses?

Stainless vs oem brake hoses?

Postby SteveJB [OP] » Jan 13 2016, 3:10am

Are stainless brake hoses really better than stock? What advantages do they have over the stock rubber ones?

Is there a good place to get them price wise? Any suggestions on brands? I'm changing the lines so I am going to change the hoses too.

Thanks,
Steve
Original Poster
SteveJB
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Stainless vs oem brake hoses?

Postby 19trax95 » Jan 13 2016, 3:23am

They can provide a firmer pedal in some cases since they don't expand much, whereas rubber hoses might expand a tiny bit when the brakes are pressed.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 128
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: Stainless vs oem brake hoses?

Postby Hendey Lathe » Jan 13 2016, 2:59pm

If your not going off road, SS lines look nice but really don't add much performance wise. The stainless braid is only there to protect the rubber hose inside from nicks and/or abrasions. I worked on a sprint car here in Western Pa. for 13 years and I prefer Kevlar braided lines over stainless. When the stainless braid gets nicked, it leaves nasty little jaggers that aren't fun to work around. You don't get that with Kevlar braid.
Hendey Lathe
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8 V-8 5-Spd 2X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes