jQuery not supported.

1995 blend air door actuator

1995 blend air door actuator

Postby cod1ak [OP] » Aug 19 2020, 12:44am

Hi folks. Ist post to the forum.
I have a 1995 Silverado and the actuator on the passenger side footwell is making a grinding and popping noise. I disconnected the wire to it. What has to be done to replace this? There is very little access and seems like the dash has to be torn apart just to get to it. Anyone able to change one another way? Also since I removed power to the actuator, is there a way to manually adjust the blend door until I get it fixed?
Thankyou.
Original Poster
cod1ak
Topics: 1
Year: 1995
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 1995 blend air door actuator

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 19 2020, 10:09am

From the little I researched for you to do the job right without any short cuts the dash is supposed to come out. yet some determined people willing to drill holes and get a few bloody knuckles in the process figured out if you remove just the lower section of the dash and ashtray gives you enough access to get to the actuator to replace it with a few holes drilled.
I would normally recommend doing the job right pull the dash and replace all the actuators and any other part that would be cheap and easy to get to while the dash is out.
Yet your truck is old the dash and trim pieces and harness connectors may be very fragile so I would want to disturb as little as possible which makes the video I found something I would consider. I would try harder to not break so many of the trim pieces the guy broke in the video.

Hopefully someone else here will show you a better video of this process or a even better procedure for now this is all I have for you. Hope it helps

EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cod1ak [OP] » Aug 19 2020, 3:34pm

Thank you for the reply and vid. However that is the actuator that controls the temp and is located close to the ashtray area. But, the vid you sent led me to this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PLvVTN20xg. The actuator I need to replace is close to the blower motor nested between the firewall and the "box" as shown at the 2:40 part of this vid and also at the 11:08 mark.
Looks like taking the dash and everything else out may be my only option.
Thanks again!
Original Poster
cod1ak
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 19 2020, 4:58pm

cod1ak wrote:Thank you for the reply and vid. However that is the actuator that controls the temp and is located close to the ashtray area. But, the vid you sent led me to this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PLvVTN20xg. The actuator I need to replace is close to the blower motor nested between the firewall and the "box" as shown at the 2:40 part of this vid and also at the 11:08 mark.
Looks like taking the dash and everything else out may be my only option.
Thanks again!

This guy is a yahoo he is calling every actuator a blend door actuator at spot 2:40 that is not the blend door actuator.
If the actuator you are having a issue with is the one at 2:40 yes by the book it requires that steering column to be dropped or removed and the dash removed plus the entire HVAC case to be removed and should be rebuilt not no mention a new dryer, orifice tube coolant hoses t-stat etc.
I sent you the video because you said you had a blend door actuator problem. and yes the blend door controls the temperature by blending the cold and hot sides of the HVAC case.

How to go about rigging that door so it stays in recirculation mode I wouldn't know.

Here is a link where a guy did this job in a hour without removing the dash. https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/show ... tid/170970
EaOutlaw1969
Topics: 12
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cod1ak [OP] » Aug 19 2020, 6:26pm

Thanks so much for that link and sorry for the confusion on which actuator is my problem, this is new to me. I am going to try this, hope it works for the 95-98 models! It may be a while but will post back my results.
Original Poster
cod1ak
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 19 2020, 7:14pm

OK good luck
EaOutlaw1969