jQuery not supported.

A/C blows cold and then hot but only on one side

Dual climate controls - drivers side hot, passengers side cold.

Re: A/C blows cold and then hot but only on one side

Postby EKinMN » Sep 02 2011, 9:53pm

A buddy of mine had this happen. He ended up at the dealer. The issue was a bad servo that controls the baffle within the system. It was replaced under warranty and has been perfect ever since.
NEW: 2021 Silverado LT Z71, 5.3L, Katzkin leather, soft tonneau, bedliner
OLD: 2010 Sierra All Terrain, 5.3L, Range AFM delete, 2.5" level lift, Grenade XD wheels, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 154
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L 8 Speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Bama51 » Jun 26 2012, 1:58pm

Kilroy wrote:Folks... I was installing a gauge and switch for an aircompressor (for my airbags) today, and while I was in there, i replaced the following part: DORMAN Part # 604106

You can get it at http://www.rockauto.com and search for it. Cost is $108 but it's better than the $264 at the stealer.

My problem was the drivers side going from cold to full hot, and I found it was just a weak motor and worn out circuit board contact slider. I removed the lower dash pieces, bottom cover for the HVAC system, and reached right down on the lower side (near the floor) in the center of the truck and removed the INOP actuator. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish including removing the dash panels.

Works like a champ now... PM me if you want pictures and a better description.

I'm very happy 1) that I didn't have to fully remove the dash and HVAC system like in the D**** R** trucks, and 2) that I could do it myself and pay 1/2 the cost by getting it at rock auto.

I hope this helps some of you with this problem, so I can give a bit back to this forum. It's a new truck to me and I got this problem FIXED, DONE, GONE, TERMINATED, NO MORE...

Cheers,

Kilroy

Kilroy, I would LOVE to have more information about replacing this part. After many, many searches, you are the first person I have heard say you had a definitive solution. I couldn't figure out how to PM you, so any help (posted maybe?) in the way of directions, location, etc. would be very beneficial to many of us.

Also, thank you so much for your service to our great country! God Bless the USA!!!
Bama51
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2003
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SuperDaveMc » Jul 20 2012, 3:14am

Kilroy

I am new to this forum but have the exact same problem with my 2006 1500 Sierra, I am not sure how to PM you for more info on the repair that you talk about. Please help me to get the info and pictures, I am a very inexperienced mech and need all the help I can get.

SuperDave Mc
SuperDaveMc
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L V8 4x4 Ext
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bayoughost » Jul 27 2012, 4:50am

My 2004 Silverado had the same issue, went to u-pull-it wrecking yard and bought 2 actuators for eight bucks each, installed one of them and it works perfect! Hanging on to the second one for a backup!
Bayoughost
Topics: 2
Year: 2004
Extra Info: V6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby am4279 » Aug 03 2012, 9:33pm

I have a 2004 Silverado with almost exactly the same issue. Mine was blowing hot on the driver's side only after a few minutes of driving. It has been doing this for over a year. I too live in Texas and decided with the 100 plus degree days I should fix this. So, I researched the internet and it seems the most common fix is to replace the blender door servo. Got one, replaced it. Huge PITA! Chevy, come on!! mount screws in nearly impossible places to get to. After 3 trips to the store to buy tools I got it replaced but no fix. The new unit does the same thing. I put the old one back in and left it unplugged. Before putting it in though I started the truck, turned on the AC, and manually positioned the blender door to full cold by grabbing the blender door post and turning it. At lest I have cool air for now while I try to figure out what is causing this. I'm wondering if it is the Body Control Module. Help!

For those of you attemping to replace the blender door servo:
The driver's side unit is just above the tranny housing, on the right side, under the dash. It has 2 mount screws. The third hole on the servo assemply is for a guide - no screw. I used a flex 1/4 drive with a 9/32" socket to get to the cover panel screws and a 5.5mm deep socket with a 1/4" ratchet drive for the two servo mount screws.

AM
am4279
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Oledad » Aug 06 2012, 7:24pm

I have the exact same issue. Kilroy could you post your pics and information. Jerky King. Trying your fix first. PITA on these hot days. Thanks guys. Oledad.
Oledad
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Extra Info: work truck
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rwx » Aug 17 2012, 3:24pm

Same problem as others on my '04 Sierra, except mine always works normally for about a minute then blows hot on driver's side only (has been occurring about 4 times a year, but now is happening more often). I can stop, turn off the engine and immediate re-start, and it always fixes problem. I may try the pull the fuse trick to see if that works. If it does I will put a temporary switch in the line to do the same thing, so I can do it while driving. (until I get around to fixing the actuator)
rwx
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rwx » Aug 17 2012, 3:48pm

I found this similar situation, with some photos of a Tahoe. http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/09/ ... t-air.html
rwx
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rwx » Aug 22 2012, 10:09pm

I have decided to replace both of my blender servos -- I see the driver's servo, but cannot find the passenger side. I subscribed to an on-line manual, and the first thing it says is remove the instrument panel carrier. What exactly is that?
rwx
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gundolf » Jan 24 2013, 10:04pm

Thank You Chris71 and the rest of you people for posting informative, helpful information.
Just picked up my Silverado 2500HD from the Chev dealer with a 'no start', blow the 40 amp ignition fuse scenario, and on the way back to camp, discovered the Heater- Air conditioner acted as Chris described.
Followed the other posts and 'Voila" it's back to normal. (for a long time I hope).

Thanks again guys; Yes I was Canadian Airforce fifty some odd years ago!!
gundolf
Extra Info: _+
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Climate Control