jQuery not supported.

A/C blows cold and then hot but only on one side

Dual climate controls - drivers side hot, passengers side cold.

Re: A/C blows cold and then hot but only on one side

Postby an2nez » Jun 07 2013, 8:54pm

Kilroy wrote:Folks... I was installing a gauge and switch for an aircompressor (for my airbags) today, and while I was in there, i replaced the following part: DORMAN Part # 604106

You can get it at http://www.rockauto.com and search for it. Cost is $108 but it's better than the $264 at the stealer.

My problem was the drivers side going from cold to full hot, and I found it was just a weak motor and worn out circuit board contact slider. I removed the lower dash pieces, bottom cover for the HVAC system, and reached right down on the lower side (near the floor) in the center of the truck and removed the INOP actuator. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish including removing the dash panels.

Works like a champ now... PM me if you want pictures and a better description.

I'm very happy 1) that I didn't have to fully remove the dash and HVAC system like in the D**** R** trucks, and 2) that I could do it myself and pay 1/2 the cost by getting it at rock auto.

I hope this helps some of you with this problem, so I can give a bit back to this forum. It's a new truck to me and I got this problem FIXED, DONE, GONE, TERMINATED, NO MORE...

Cheers,

Kilroy
an2nez
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby velocanman » Jun 28 2013, 3:03am

Folks, realize this is an older post but I am having exactly the same problems with my 2006 Silverado. Starts out cold air both sides, then the driver's side starts blowing hot while the passenger is still cool. I tried disconnecting the battery and alternating max/min temp settings, and no improvement.

Is there any other symptoms to check, or should I assume it's the air door actuator and order a new one? Amazon has them for about $90. I can check the salvage yard but not too many mid-2000 chevy's there yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C6Q7US

A follow-up question, that's probably answered elsewhere, is this: can I also replace the electronic Htr/AC controller with the 04-05 analog version? I have the analog controls on my 04 Suburban and actually prefer it.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-72958-Conditioner-Control-Assembly/dp/B000C9GYTA/

Thanks!
velocanman
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby krcflyer » Jul 15 2013, 9:19pm

I've done all of the temp fixes, but the problem seems to come back more frequently. Kilroy, would you send/post the DIY pics. plz plz

Kirby
krcflyer
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Extra Info: HD2500
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby FlameOut » Jul 17 2013, 12:21am

I just bought my 04 Silverado a few days ago and found this forum about an hour later. I was happy buying an older truck with nice cold AC, but today I had this same problem. Both sides blowing very hot no matter what I tried. I shut of the engine for a bit and when started it again the AC worked fine. So far it's only done it that one time andand I hope it never does it again, but I doubt ill be that lucky. I'm no looking forward tothecomplicated fix, but I'll do it if I have to
FlameOut
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 17
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Froman26 » Jul 19 2013, 12:27am

an2nez wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Folks... I was installing a gauge and switch for an aircompressor (for my airbags) today, and while I was in there, i replaced the following part: DORMAN Part # 604106

You can get it at http://www.rockauto.com and search for it. Cost is $108 but it's better than the $264 at the stealer.

My problem was the drivers side going from cold to full hot, and I found it was just a weak motor and worn out circuit board contact slider. I removed the lower dash pieces, bottom cover for the HVAC system, and reached right down on the lower side (near the floor) in the center of the truck and removed the INOP actuator. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish including removing the dash panels.

Works like a champ now... PM me if you want pictures and a better description.

I'm very happy 1) that I didn't have to fully remove the dash and HVAC system like in the D**** R** trucks, and 2) that I could do it myself and pay 1/2 the cost by getting it at rock auto.

I hope this helps some of you with this problem, so I can give a bit back to this forum. It's a new truck to me and I got this problem FIXED, DONE, GONE, TERMINATED, NO MORE...

Cheers,

Kilroy

Kilroy,

I am also new to the forum. Having the same issues and would like to check out those pics. Can't figure out how to PM you. Could you please hook me up?

Thanks,

Froman26
Froman26
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax 4x4
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby dankstud16 » Aug 04 2013, 11:04pm

Kilroy can I also have the information? Or anyone else that can send me the information????? My email is [email protected] would love to be able to fix this!!!
dankstud16
Extra Info: 4.8L 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jimbo23 » Oct 10 2014, 12:36am

I looked up the info on how to reset the actuators after replacing them in the GM service manual. Here are the steps to take without a scan tool. They worked well.

1clear all DTC's (Your local Advance Auto Parts will clear any error codes you have free normally with their tool)
2 Place the ignition in the OFF position
3 Install the new HVAC Actuator
4 Connect all previously disconnected components/wires
5 remove the 10amp HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds. This is located in the fuse block under the hood, not the one in the door jam and you need the one specifically labeled "HVAC/ECAS"
6 reinstall the HVAC/ECAS fuse
7 Start the vehicle
8 Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate itself (If you don't wait the 40 seconds, you will need to start over, because it will calibrate incorrectly)
9 Verify that no DTC's have set as current DTC's (that would require that scan tool again).

I skipped step 1 and 9. the waiting period on steps 5 and 9 are the most important in this procedure according to the GM service system.

Good luck!
John
Jimbo23
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby buddy8516 » Oct 15 2014, 8:01pm

I am new to these forum in general, have been reading through these post and problems
are similar to mine, first the blower won't work at idle but will start working a lil at around 40-50 mph, also it will blow cold at times from both driver and passenger side then randomly go to hot and changing the temp setting won't help it stays blowing hot even with blower motor turned off it will still randomly blow hot or cold.....any information or idea would help a lot.....btw its a 04 gmc sierra
buddy8516
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby drchasbrown » Aug 25 2015, 4:39am

Kilroy,

I sure would like pictures and a better description of your solution for A/C blows cold and then hot but only on one side.

Charlie
drchasbrown
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TexasTom » Sep 10 2015, 12:56pm

This is the main reason I joined this forum, my 2006 Silverado 1500 4X4 started doing this a couple of months ago as it is still in the high 90s here in Texas something had to change. I did find that when the A/C started acting up , turning off the truck, waiting a few seconds then restarting seemed to help for a while. seem it only happens when the truck is started, it doesn't start acting up while driving. Have copied both suggestions for the temp fix and will try them as soon as it gets light out side.Sent a PM to Kilroy and will await a reply.
Tom
TexasTom
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: S1500 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Climate Control