jQuery not supported.

AC Switch on the back of Compressor

Re: AC Switch on the back of Compressor

Postby deathphoenix99 » Jun 19 2012, 12:54pm

The high pressure switch just grounds out a wire for the Vehicle Control Module is appears on the wiring diagram.

Also, on the diagram, this is what it says there are and where they are located, but it could be wrong. Sometimes the information is spot on and sometimes it's wrong, depends on the vehicle.

Water Valve (Suburban, Utility, Crew Cab Only) --Right Center of Intake Area
A/C Low Pressure Switch -- On top rear of A/C compressor
A/C High Pressure Switch -- On Bottom rear of A/C compressor
A/C Compressor Cycling switch -- On top right of A/C Accumulator
deathphoenix99
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 31
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: SCLB 4.3L LS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby IP076 [OP] » Jun 19 2012, 1:23pm

Thanks again for the great info! Did that info come from the FSM? I'm more and more convinced I need to buy one, the Haynes stuff will only get you so far...I'd love to find a digital version...but there are so many scams out there that you never know what you're going to end up with.

I'll have to look again, but I'm fairly certain there's only one switch receptacle on the rear of the compressor. The only other switch near the compressor is the one I mentioned that is in the line just on top of the compressor. I'll snag a pic this morning and try to throw it up here. Thanks again!
Original Poster
IP076
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 1500 5.7L V8 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby deathphoenix99 » Jun 19 2012, 1:42pm

That information is from Mitchells Online Database. But I'm sure an FSM would have a lot of it as well.
deathphoenix99
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby IP076 [OP] » Jun 19 2012, 1:57pm

OK, I've attached a picture. The switch I'm wondering about is the one to the right of the intake, left of the red cap on the AC system. Like previously mentioned, there's a switch on the back of the compressor (presumably high pressure cutoff) and a switch on the accumulator (presumably the cycling switch).
Attachments
2012-06-19 05.37.46.jpg
Original Poster
IP076
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby deathphoenix99 » Jun 19 2012, 2:16pm

You do have a spare connector on the back of the compressor correct?

Do me a favor, when you get time, check the wire colors of the 3 switches, I need to know what colors the wires are for each switch, and then I can compare it to a wiring diagram.

Switch on accumulator
wire 1?
wire 2?

Switch on high side line
wire 1?
wire 2?

Switch on compressor
wire 1?
wire 2?
deathphoenix99
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby IP076 [OP] » Jun 20 2012, 2:00am

OK, here's what I've got:

Switch on the accumulator: DK GRN & BLK/WHT

Switch on the high side line: DK BLU & BLK/WHT

Switch on the compressor: LT GRN & DK GRN/WHT

The LT GRN line on the switch on the compressor is switched with the AC button on the dash, confirmed. In the other switches the non BLK lines have voltage with the ignition on, as I believe they should.

Thanks again for your help!
Original Poster
IP076
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby IP076 [OP] » Jun 21 2012, 4:16am

So, the plot thickens. I jumpered all three switches. Everything worked great. I removed the jumper on the cycling switch, nothing...so the cycling switch is bad. However, I'm going to go ahead and just replace all the switches.

Based on two wiring schematics I have, I can confirm the cycling switch is in fact on the accumulator. No problems.

I have two conflicting diagrams with regards to the High and Low pressure switches. I've also determined that Checker has 3 different low pressure switches, all of which appear to fit into the back of the compressor and fit the plug that was removed from there, and has LT GRN & DK GRN/WHT wire. According to the GM schematic from the dealer for a 98, this should be the High Pressure switch. This line is also switched with the AC button on the dash.

Checker has two different Hi Pressure switches. One that would fit the back of the compressor and one that would fit the supply line on the system. However, the plug that runs to that switch is a DK BLU & BLK/WHT line...which GM says should be the low pressure cutout switch.

The Haynes manual swaps the wires to the high and low switches...which would also be in coincidence with the switch supply at Checker.

Can anyone confirm that the switch on the supply line is in fact the HIGH pressure switch, and the switch on the back of the compressor is actually the LOW pressure switch?

Again the truck is a 97 with the 350.

Thanks for the help!
Original Poster
IP076
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby deathphoenix99 » Jun 21 2012, 1:39pm

IP076 wrote:Switch on the accumulator: DK GRN & BLK/WHT

Switch on the high side line: DK BLU & BLK/WHT

Switch on the compressor: LT GRN & DK GRN/WHT

Switch on Accumulator: A/C compressor cycling switch

Switch on the high side line: A/C High Pressure Cutout Switch

Switch on the compressor: A/C Low pressure cutout switch

Sorry I wasn't really online much yesterday. I'd go by the wiring colors, not where the diagrams state they should be. And it makes more sense that the high line would have the hi pressure switch since you have a switch on it.

deathphoenix99
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby [email protected] » Jul 14 2018, 10:53pm

the switch in the picture to the left of the red cap is the high pressure switch
[email protected]
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Climate Control