jQuery not supported.

Blower fan destroyed housing. Cheap fix?

Blower fan destroyed housing. Cheap fix?

Postby mcompton1973 [OP] » Sep 07 2020, 8:25pm

2003 1500
Few days ago I was driving down the road. Hit a massive pothole on the left side. When I did that I started hearing a plastic squealing screeching sound coming from the passenger side dash. And my AC wasn't really blowing. mess with the controls. Realize the fan was turning fine but something was going on in the air wasn't coming out the vents.

so today I pulled the plastic shroud and when I got in there, the blower motor and fan was not sitting in its housing properly. It was tilted connected on one side and out on the other.

I went to put it back in place, but the side had come out on had been damaged. The sounds I was hearing was the blower motor spinning against the plastic where it should Mount. And that got chewed up.

I don't know if I can put it in place and try to JB weld it? Or put some screws to hold it in place. Has anybody had anything like this happen? I'll try and post a couple pictures of the housing.
Attachments
20200907_112306.jpg
Original Poster
mcompton1973
Topics: 1
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 4wd 135k miles
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Blower fan destroyed housing. Cheap fix?

Postby silentbravo » Sep 11 2020, 12:56am

First I've seen of this! Did the blower motor rip out of it's mounting holes then?
silentbravo
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mcompton1973 [OP] » Sep 11 2020, 12:58am

It appears that it is not the stock motor. My guess is that when it was reinstalled, it was not put in properly.
Original Poster
mcompton1973
Topics: 1
Year: 2003
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 4wd 135k miles
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Sep 11 2020, 2:14am

Best Idea I can come up with is go to the wrecking yard and cut out that section of plastic with an inch or two all the way around and smooth any protrusions from your case and screw the new piece in place on yours. Maybe use some VHB tape and screws.it could be made to be a fairly clean repair that way.
Walkers
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control