jQuery not supported.

Blower Fan Issues

Blower Fan Issues

Postby outlaw_03 [OP] » May 20 2020, 4:31am

So I have a 2013 silverado crew cab ltz. Recently I have started having issues with my AC/heater. (common denominator is the fan) When I first start my truck, my AC runs fine. However, after driving for 20 minutes or so, the air out of the vents gets weak and there is a noticeably louder noise under the passenger dash. If I turn my AC off for a minute, it usually will work fine temporarily (5,10 minutes or so). I already replaced the resistor thinking that would solve my problems. I pulled the blower motor fan and it looked good. While I had it out, I plugged the blower motor fan up to a battery and let it run for 20-25 minutes and it ran perfectly fine.

So can anyone enlighten me and what the problem may be? Could the blower motor be bad even though it ran fine off the battery?
Original Poster
outlaw_03
Topics: 1
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: 1500 z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Blower Fan Issues

Postby RivGuy » May 20 2020, 8:28am

It sounds like you may have moisture in the AC system. When the small moisture molecules freeze up in the evaporator, on the Pass Side, You'll not only lack cooling air but can hear the effects of the system straining to pass liquid freon to the evaporator in the cabin.

You need to install a set of proper gauges to the system and watch the pressures from the beginning of turning on the AC and seeing what pressure changes your system is experiencing. It could just be low on freon but it sure sounds like a bit of moisture freezing up in the expansion valve.
That would explain all the symptoms your experiencing.

If that is the case you need to have the system vacuumed out and see if it holds a vacuum. That's the way to leak test the system.
Once any and all leaks are addressed then you can refill the system.
RivGuy
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L HO Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby outlaw_03 [OP] » May 21 2020, 4:15am

Thanks for the reply! Would that be the case for the heater problems too? Of course now since it is hot, I run my AC but I noticed the problem when it was still cool outside and I was trying to run my heater. Air got weak out of vents as well.
Original Poster
outlaw_03
Topics: 1
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » May 21 2020, 7:22pm

Could be the blower motor resistor is failing.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   183,265 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 169
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Junior62 » May 21 2020, 7:32pm

I would say you may have got a bad resistor, return it and try another one. Other than that, I agree with the theory of low refrigerant leading to a frozen evaporator. The evaporator could freeze up during heating function as well IF you are running in "auto" mode or defrost mode which will run the AC to maintain temp set point and/or keep windows from fogging up.
2011 ECSB LTZ James Jr: Factory L9H 6.2L, 6L80, Air Raid tube, tuned by me, 2/4 drop, Tahoe 20's, de-badged
Build Log: Junior62's 2011 Silverado Build
Junior62
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 2
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control