jQuery not supported.

Blower motor

Blower motor

Postby Cames645 [OP] » Aug 09 2020, 6:54pm

98 pickup blower wont work on high changed switch resistor and relay when I checked the plug at the relay each wire had a different voltage for each speed even high but when put on high no voltage coming out of relay I tried 4 different relays including a new no change I can jump a wire across the relay and it works but I can't believe that many relays are bad has to be something I'm missing
Original Poster
Cames645
Topics: 1
Year: 1998
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Blower motor

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 09 2020, 8:30pm

If I remember correctly the high speed fan has no need to be wired through the resistor since it is high speed and If I remember correctly has its own separate relay that rarely if ever goes bad but a connector will get melted in that area causing high speed to intermittently or permanently stop working.
It has been so many years ago since I messed with one of these so I had to do a little research to try and find a post about the connector I had issues in the past with I only came up with description that matches what I vaguely remember.
I do not think the wiring from 97 is that different than your 1998 and would be looking into unless someone else comes up with something better the following was from Roberts post found on the following link

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/gmc- ... rk-on-high

Roberts Post is below

"Here is a possible solution for your 1995 GMC K1500 blower that wont work on high. First remove the glove box and set it aside. Now look into the area that the glove box resided. You will see a wire harness covered in factory foam and next to this on the right you will see a flat silver box that is your ECM. Now remove the foam covering gently because you will want to put this back on when your done. Now that you have removed the foam cover you will see a large junction connector and another connector with just a red and a black wire. Now what you want to do is turn on the ignition switch and the fan speed switch to high. Now gently grab ahold of the red and black wire connector and wiggle it if your fan came on you have found the problem. Now if this worked for you remove the positive battery wire from the battery because the red wire at this connector remains hot. Next disconnect the connector and look into the female side of the connector the red wire will show signs of it being loose, meaning that it looks like it has melted, This is due to a loose connection. Now if you opt to get a new GM connector or you can tighten the female connector so that the pin will fit snugly into it once again. Once this has been done you can put the connector back together you will see that the connectors still move when plugged back together. To fix this you will need a zip tie. Now put the zip tie between the red and black wires with the connector back together. Now pull the zip tie tight and cut the long end off with side cutters. Now reconnect your battery and turn your ignition switch back on and fan speed switch on high. The fan should be blowing on high, now wiggle the connector one more time the fan should stay on without interruption. Now put that foam covering back on just the way you found it. Push the wiring back in like you found it and then put you glove box back in. You shouldn't have anymore problems with the fan anymore if this was your problem"
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Cames645 [OP] » Aug 09 2020, 11:54pm

I will check that and let you now how I make out thanks
Original Poster
Cames645
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Cames645 [OP] » Aug 10 2020, 4:30pm

I found the plug and it was melted and the wire lost contact I took the plastic holder off reconnected the wires and heat shrunk them working like new thank you for the heads up.
Original Poster
Cames645
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 10 2020, 4:37pm

Glad I could help keep you cool. :D
EaOutlaw1969