jQuery not supported.

Climate control lights 2001 Chevy silverado

Climate control lights 2001 Chevy silverado

Postby Z7161 [OP] » Jan 01 2020, 4:53pm

I have owned the truck for a little over a year. The climate control lights never worked. Is it better to purchase a bulb light kit kit from eBay or to purchase the bulbs separately (and what is the bulb size) from a local auto parts store? I see them on eBay but no description on bulb size, I know its a DIY where I pull out the unit an solder the bulbs in. Give me some ideas on this. Thank you.
Original Poster
Z7161
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Climate control lights 2001 Chevy silverado

Postby Zrock » Jan 01 2020, 5:25pm

look on ebay for the repair kits and get the bulb size from them and then just order the right size bulb. I cant remember if they are a 4 or 5mm bulb... I did some searching and ordered 12v led's for mine instead of having to put a resistor in
Zrock
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 59
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby PGB1 » Jan 01 2020, 5:48pm

When I bought my 2000 none of the climate control lights worked. It turned out to be corrosion on the power connector. So, if zero lights work perhaps try checking for corrosion & power at the connector before buying lamps. Hopefully this will be a quick fix for you.
Paul
PGB1
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 3 Door 6 Liter XLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Pak713 » Jan 01 2020, 8:01pm

If it isn’t the connection and they need to be replaced replace them with leds. If you don’t they’ll just burn out again. They are 3mm in size. The 5 mm light would be for your headlight switch or the cluster. Usspeedo sells kits on eBay and online and the are 12v replacement so no resistors needed. If you decide you want to do the leds with resistors it is just as easy if you can solder. Don’t buy no name cheap leds off eBay because they will not last. But I can vouch for usspeedo. I have used their leds before and they are of good quality. Superbrightleds.com also has replacement 3mm leds that are good replacements and I’ve used before. You will not be able to buy these bulbs at the parts store.
1.5” Motofab leveling kit
1.25” RC body lift
275/70/18 Falken Wildpeak AT3
Diablew Tune
Pak713
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 112
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: LT 5.3 Flex fuel Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adriver » Jan 01 2020, 8:36pm

If you're willing to search, then search for: Cluster LED mod. The LEDs are all the same for the cluster as the climate control lights. Most people start with wanting to do the cluster and then do the climate controls to keep it uniform.

You should find, superbrightleds.com. They have kits by vehicle. 99-02 are pull em out, and push in the new ones. If they don't work, take em out, flip em 180, and reinsert because you had the polarity wrong, no soldering needed. 03-07 classic require soldering to replace them.

You can buy kits, but once you know the size and number you can order from anywhere. That website has received good reviews for this though, and they will make it easy if you want to just order now. I wouldn't expect any local auto parts store to have the LED bulbs you want, and even if you did find them, you will have a limited selection. I know if you look online, you can find the rainbow and then some.
adriver
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Reg cab 2wd 4.8 5spd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Pak713 » Jan 01 2020, 9:04pm

The only lights that aren’t soldered on those trucks are the cluster. The climate control will require soldering. I’ve done quite a few of them. The cluster lights will be a different size than the climate control. Now they may sell a one size fits all, the original climate control lights are smaller than the cluster lights.
1.25” RC body lift
Diablew Tune
Pak713
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TGstring » Jan 03 2020, 12:13am

I have to replace a few bulbs on my 2002 and bought a whole bunch of 6v and 12v bulbs, along with a few LEds. i'll have a bunch of extras I could send your way for a few bucks if you happen to be patient enough? let me know. I haven't had time to tear things up yet and since I don't drive the truck in the winter much if at all, I'm in no rush... but do plan to do it soon.

just throwing it out there... let me know
TGstring
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 4.8L 5spd shortbox
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z7161 [OP] » Jan 08 2020, 4:07am

I wanted to thank everyone that gave me information on changing the light bulbs on my climate control unit. The lights never worked until today :D ! This is where I ordered them, after tax and shipping price was $32.89. I did the upper part and while doing the lower part that has a/c , rear defrost and re-circulation buttons my soldering iron stopped working so I'm going to purchase another soldering iron and finish. I want to thank Pak713 for responding to my pm and ordered what he told me!

unitItem # Description Qty
LED3WH LED 12V 3mm GM GMC Climate Control - Radio Buttons - Switches - Instrument Panel Lights SELECT YOUR COLOR 1

Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Auto & Truck Electronics
Phone: 1-800-921-9060
Email: [email protected]
Attachments
thumbnail.jpeg
Original Poster
Z7161
Topics: 2
Year: 2001
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Pak713 » Jan 08 2020, 10:10pm

Your welcome bro. That’s why we are here. It looks great. Glad it worked out for you. Pretty easy fix. That kit was a great price honestly for 12v leds. I will tell you if you ever plan on doing the cluster if you use white leds the cluster will illuminate blue with white leds. The stock gauge face has a blueish hue to it. I replaced my cluster lights with leds on my old truck. I used white and when the gauges were lit up they were blue. Also just another bit of info, if your using flux when soldering make sure and clean all the flux off the board when your done or it will short the light circuit out and burn out the bulbs. A qtip and a dip in rubbing alcohol is what I used. Didn’t know if you knew that or not.
1.25” RC body lift
Diablew Tune
Pak713
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control