jQuery not supported.

Hot is Cold and Cold is Hot - 2000 K1500

The switch acts like its reveresed

Hot is Cold and Cold is Hot - 2000 K1500

Postby Oh_Oh_Silverado [OP] » May 22 2016, 7:33pm

I found a 2000 K1500 Base with five speed and 4.8L and virtually no rust. It has high mileage but these are impossible to find in my area so I took a chance. Its all stock and runs well, but there are plenty of gremlins to sort out. A/C works but on the test drive with A/C off, the cab got so hot we had to open windows and the owner said it needed an actuator, which he included in the sale. When I got home I Youtubed and Googled and ended up changing out an actuator over the transmission hump. This didn't fix my problem so I got a refurbished controller off of eBay and installed it. This didn't fix my problem. The blend door seems to move like it should and I can feel the door moving with the switch. More Youtube showed another actuator behind the glove box and by dropping the glove box door I was able see the flap open and close when I hit the recirc and fresh air buttons, so that didn't seem to be a problem. I found a drawing on the 'net for a newer truck that pointed me to an actuator over the gas pedal and when that didn't seem to move with the mode switch I changed it out with the old part from the trans hump. That actuator now moves with the mode switch but didn't solve my heat problem. And then I realized the heat only happens when the switch is set to the Left (Cold) setting. If I set the switch to the Right (Hot) side I get ambient, cooler air. It's like the actuator is running backwards. I'm not sure if this was my original problem or not. I don't think the switch is the culprit, it was tested and the seller has a good rep. I understand there are different actuators and I'm wondering if I have a wrong one on the door above the transmission hump? I can't read any part numbers on the actuators that came with the truck. Can someone confirm the location and number of actuators and part numbers for a base 2000 Silverado K1500 regular cab? I'm okay changing the actuator if that solves it, but is there another way to fix this while keeping the stock appearance? Any other insight is greatly appreciated. For reference, this is the type of HVAC controller I have. If I use the setting in the picture I will get cool air.

Original Poster
Oh_Oh_Silverado
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Re: Hot is Cold and Cold is Hot - 2000 K1500

Postby coyhunter » May 23 2016, 12:23am

Maybe some one reversed the wires at back of controller.worth a shot
coyhunter
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Oh_Oh_Silverado [OP] » May 25 2016, 3:38am

Thanks but that's not really the response i was hoping for. Anybody got a diagram or part numbers for the actuators? This is supposedly a common problem for a common vehicle so its surprising how difficult the details are to find.
Original Poster
Oh_Oh_Silverado
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2000
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » May 25 2016, 4:07am

To reset the actuators you just need to turn the key to ON, do not start, and do NOTHING for 40 seconds. Then turn the key off and then start the truck. Do not touch the a/c controls during the 40 seconds.
SilverSurfer
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 78
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L Z85 AT 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby pjg55 » Apr 02 2019, 3:26am

Saw this older discussion when searching about my '99 Silverado 2500 with similar symptoms. The truck HVAC controls are the same as the picture by the original poster. My original issue was only getting hot air regardless of where the temperature setting was. I changed the actuator after testing showed it defective and verified the blend door operated freely. After installing the new actuator experienced the same symptoms as the original poster: Hot air when set to cold and cold/ambient air when set to hot. Tried doing a reset as described in the last response but it did not correct the issue. Also tried other reset procedures found from internet searches which involved pulling the HVAC fuse; again without success. Not sure what else to try at this point. Any help would be appreciated.
pjg55
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Camp80 » Dec 23 2020, 1:38am

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE and I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find out what your problem was? I switched the actuator under the dash were the hump and pulles the HVAC fuse let it go through its cycles and I still get the same thing. I'm very stumped and have no idea what to do. Could someone please help me out. Thanks.
Camp80
Year: 2004
Variant: SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Dec 23 2020, 5:16am

Well, to start with do the ignition switch trick like was mentioned.
Walkers
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Camp80 » Dec 23 2020, 1:18pm

Ok I'll try that. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I'll let you know. Thanks
Camp80
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Camp80 » Dec 23 2020, 1:30pm

Just as I figured that didn't fix it. I've tried everything that I know. I even pulled the HVAC fuse out for 60secs put it back in started my truck let it go through all of its cycles and it still did reset. My AC works great heat and cold but it's backwards. It's almost like someone has switched the wires around. Just like the one guy said in the post. That's the only thing that I haven't tried. Does anyone have a diagram showing which wires they are. Thanks
Camp80
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Old Barney » Jan 05 2021, 6:28pm

My 1999 did the same thing. I replaced with after market actuator it works backward too. After two years it quit working either way stuck on heat.
While I have my dash apart installing new radio I believe I will add an old style cable control. If I can find an old automatic choke conversion kit which I have installed years ago. Drill a hole in the dash route it down and make an adaptor to mate up with the shaft removing the electronic gizmo that all have seen FAIL!!
Old Barney
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: 1500 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control