jQuery not supported.

HVAC Controls Freezing - Dash Temp Reads "---"

HVAC Controls Freezing - Dash Temp Reads "---"

Postby smashZ71 [OP] » Mar 22 2016, 8:46pm

Hey folks,

Does anyone have any experience with their HVAC freezing up? Was the cause the HVAC module going, or is something causing it to freeze up, like a bad outdoor air temp sensor, or a bad resistor pack?

Here's the back story:

I've got a 2012 GMC Sierra SLE with the basic HVAC system. Three knobs, 2 buttons + A/C.

For the past few months my outside air temp on my dash board randomly reads "---". It used to be once a week, now it's once a day. Sometimes right away, sometimes after 2 minutes of driving. When this happens the A/C doesn't work because it's locked out because it has no outside temp.

More recently the HVAC controls have randomly stopped working. The lights don't come on, and the buttons / knobs do nothing. This only happens when the dash reads "---", but not every time; about once every 3 days.

For both cases above, turning off the truck and starting it back up again will resolve the issue. Sometimes for the duration of the drive, sometimes only for a short while.

I pulled a code, which off the top of my head I can't remember.. but it was a "U" code, and the translation was unable to communicate with the HVAC module.

Does anyone have an idea of where to start with this? I'm not even sure how the outdoor air temp ties into the computers. (Directly to BCM, Dash, or HVAC module)

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
Attachments
2015-06-06 15.09.43.jpg
The dashboard with ---
Original Poster
smashZ71
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT Z71 4x4 5.3 6spd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: HVAC Controls Freezing - Dash Temp Reads "---"

Postby esox07 » Mar 23 2016, 11:11pm

Will your HVAC controls work if you put it into Manual Mode? If you want the A/C you can just turn the temp all the way down to its minimum and then adjust the amount of cooling with the fan speed, kind of like it used to before all the AUTO stuff. Same for heat, turn the temp to max and then use the fan controls to determine how much heat it puts out. By setting the temp to its max, you lock the heat on and by setting the temp on the Climate controls to its min, you lock the A/C on.
I realize this doesnt solve your problem, but it might allow a work around until you get the root problem fixed.
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 281
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby GMT604 » Mar 24 2016, 1:45am

Ambient temp sensor is connected to the HVAC panel, which reports it to the cluster. I would suspect a bad AC panel, specially with the no communication code. Unless there are other no comm codes as well.
GMT604
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby smashZ71 [OP] » Mar 24 2016, 4:27pm

That was the only code present.

The only other thing that **may be relevant is that I swapped out the stock stereo for an Android touchscreen unit from china. ( < $400 delivered, how could you not! ). I bought all the proper harnesses and pigtails so I didn't have to cut into the factory wiring. I'll pull it all apart first just to make sure I didn't kink an HVAC wire somewhere, or miss getting a connector in properly. Honestly the problems started almost a year after the upgrade so it's doubtful.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the reply,

Kevin
Original Poster
smashZ71
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby smashZ71 [OP] » Mar 24 2016, 4:30pm

esox07 wrote:Will your HVAC controls work if you put it into Manual Mode?

When the lights on the knobs don't light up, I get nothin. Turning the fan full on or off is just off. I can't hear the blend motor's going either. It just dies.
Original Poster
smashZ71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control