jQuery not supported.

HVAC controls fried?

HVAC controls fried?

Postby JessterJ [OP] » Jul 27 2011, 8:26pm

My wife was driving our Sierra today and had the A/C stop working. I checked it out and we didn't have a blower on any speed, yet determined that the blower works when hooked up to direct 12v. The resistor looked okay on the outside, except that the 7-wire plug had the insulation burnt up the ground wire about 3/16". I needed a lot of force and a screwdriver to pry the plug out. The "E" wire on the plug had melted to the resistor side (female) plug housing. I replaced the plug and resistor. Blower has all speeds and is working like it should.

But, when we start up the vehicle and turn on the outside vent, the drivers side goes to A/C (compressor kicks in) and the passenger side goes to full hot; like the blend door actuators are having issues along with the A/C having a mind of its own. My wife says it just happened and she wasn't touching the controls when it initially went out. Could the electronic controls in the dash have fried and caused the blower resistor meltdown? It's either that or two actuators and the A/C are acting up together. BTW, the blower works great even with the A/C and heat having issues.

2005 Sierra 1500 SLE Crew
5.3L "T" engine RWD
Resistor is "4-hole" type
HVAC has dual manual controls, no front console, no rear blower
Original Poster
JessterJ
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Crew 5.3L RWD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: HVAC controls fried?

Postby lzn197 » Jul 30 2011, 4:39pm

See your dealer. GM has a special policy to fix the problem with the resistor. I got a letter last week.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby JessterJ [OP] » Aug 16 2011, 3:55pm

Update to original. I had been working on the inner tie rod and had pulled the airbag fuse the day before. I was thinking that the fuse marked for the supplemental restraint would of necessity be on its own circuit; not so on this truck. I ended up putting the fuse back in to get rid of the airbag light on the dash and all of a sudden the HVAC is working just fine.
Original Poster
JessterJ
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JessterJ [OP] » Feb 02 2013, 7:22pm

I received a recall letter from GM about the fried switch and connector. They will cover the cost of replacement at a dealer. They will not cover 3rd party parts (I used BWD) and the letter was about 2 months too late for my repair. No recourse from what the GM service rep told me. GM can count my truck as not having the issue because it was not replaced under recall. Aren't statistics wonderful and yet soooooo deceptive.
Original Poster
JessterJ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control