jQuery not supported.

Odd issue that is becoming more frequent

Re: Odd issue that is becoming more frequent

Postby nealinator » Sep 06 2020, 1:43pm

Glad you got it fixed. Would love to have seen some pictures of what you found and how it was affecting the operation. I cant remember if I kept my old ones...I will have to take a look sometime and open one up and see if I see anything similar. Your description sounds like it is different than what was pictured in that link I attached earlier.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain188,885 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby 1177zr71 » Sep 06 2020, 5:16pm

Where we live there is no cell service so when I get home I just toss it on the counter and didn't think to take pictures. First thing before taking it apart scribe marks on the part the door shaft goes into so everything will line back up. Its the large gear in your picture that had a crack. Take cover off, remove first medium size white gear then lift the large one out. Mine was made a little different than the one in your picture. Turn it over and there is the 2 copper strips that are connected together. The hardest thing about the whole job was getting the screws out above the hump because my center console goes all the way to the dash so room to work is limited.
1177zr71
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Sep 06 2020, 7:22pm

Ok Tim...so you peaked my curiosity. I dug through my stuff and found the three original ones I removed.

I opened up the cases and not one of the gears were broken like in that other thread. His was from a 98 so perhaps they fixed that gear issue since they were white and now are black.

I did find some grease in two of them but I am not sure that was causing a disconnect assuming it is a dielectric type grease. But possibly the end of the two copper contacts gets tarnished and no longer making good contact. The strips they ride on are black and not copper...so I am not sure what that material is...but it has to be conductive. Did you wipe the grease off and clean off the black tracks also?

This third one that was the mode door actuator with the big gear on it that selects which vents the air is directed to has an obvious issue. The two contacts were bent and touching. And either that causing an issue or the fact that one of them is not contacting the black strip as well.

Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain188,885 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby 1177zr71 » Sep 07 2020, 2:11am

Yes, I cleaned the black strips and sanded lightly with 1000 grit.Then put a very very light coat of dielectric grease back on. I guess in the 20 years since it was built all the grease just accumulated between the two forks and the strips. I also cleaned and sanded the two copper strips too. Working good now and hope it last many years to come. I'm not as flexible as I was back in the old days when there was a lot more room to work on them.
1177zr71
Topics: 3
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Climate Control