jQuery not supported.

Squirrels in the AC/Heater dashboard ductwork

Squirrels in the AC/Heater dashboard ductwork

Postby funtimefoods [OP] » Aug 17 2020, 9:58pm

I have searched all over the internet for a solution to this problem. I had to replace all the components in my dash that related to the ductwork due to a momma squirrel somehow getting into the duct work and having babies. I had both dead and alive babies along with decomposed ones that maggots were living on. YUCK. And I don't need to mention probably how bad the smell was. She did not get in through the inside of the truck. Somehow she got in from the outside. She was able to get into the fresh air duct and eat through a screen that was in place from the factory. The grille above the fresh air intake is intact. The mechanics are still shaking their heads as to how she got in. I have tried to find a diagram that would show any entrance that she could have gotten in or chewed through. She had been planning this for a while apparently since she built a huge nest out of moss that was about the size of a soccer ball and it was in the duct work just past where the air blower motor was located. Under the hood there were signs that she had been dragging the moss and leaves in someplace. I found residual of this up on top of some of the engine parts that were close to the firewall. I crawled under the truck with a flashlight and looked for any place that I could see that might have been chewed through. I could not find anything. Has anyone else had this problem with a squirrel or an animal of like size? I would not have been surprised had it have been a mouse since I could see how a little mouse could get in and in fact I did find a mummified mouse when we took it apart. I would like any ideas on how she could have gotten in and how to make sure this never happens again. The mechanic did put in a heavier duty hardware cloth where the original screen had been as well as putting wire under the grille that covers the fresh air intake. I live in the country, have some trees as do the neighbors and squirrels. I am contemplating baiting the squirrels to get rid of them but am concerned that the neighbor dogs and cats might eat them after they die. Even if I do manage to kill mine off I feel like there will be replacements. So need a deterent to keep them away. I have watched multiple videos on line and read as much as I can but other than having all my trees removed I do not see a resolution to this. Any ideas on any of the questions I posed?
Original Poster
funtimefoods
Topics: 1
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: diesel
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Squirrels in the AC/Heater dashboard ductwork

Postby silentbravo » Aug 18 2020, 12:59am

What about the vents behind the cab, between the cab and the bed? Maybe one of the vents is broke?

Pellet rifle will fix the squirrel issue, but yes you will have to maintain their numbers forever as they will come back, especially if you have some kind of fruit/nut trees or something that they like.
silentbravo
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby funtimefoods [OP] » Aug 18 2020, 1:39am

Thanks for the info.
Original Poster
funtimefoods
Topics: 1
Year: 2007
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: diesel
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Larry-Cleveland » Aug 18 2020, 1:47am

Running an ozone machine in the cab will help greatly will the smell. Amazon has them around $100.

My problem ended after 4 cats started to live on my deck.
Larry-Cleveland
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 60L 4X4 Flatbed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control