jQuery not supported.

Switch from manual adjustment system to digital system?

Switch from manual adjustment system to digital system?

Postby dylanellis2006 [OP] » Dec 06 2012, 9:59pm

i currently have the a/c / heater with the two knobs you push up or down to change the temperature. is it possible to switch it to the digital so i can see the exact temperature that it is set at?
Original Poster
dylanellis2006
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Switch from manual adjustment system to digital system?

Postby 1500VHO » Dec 09 2012, 3:29am

Hi,

Interesting question. I looked all over the web, and found nothing. I called my ASE mechanic friend, Josh. This is what he said:

"The plugs are different. It will not be just plug in and play. There are a bunch of sensors that will also need to be installed in the duct work for the Automatic control function. You'll also need a GM Manual(s) for the proper install and location of the sensors."

He was not sure if the wiring harness needs to be changed as well. He "guesses" it will because of the different plugs.

Josh and I both agree that a donor crash truck in a reclamation yard be found for all of the "stuff" you'll need.

I hope this helped, :D
ImageImage
1500VHO
Contributor
Contributor
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2005
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1 of 4701 built
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Crabman » Dec 09 2012, 3:34am

Well I have both, the automatic with the temp readout in the 2500 and the manual with the slide knobs in the 1500. Might be just me and my strange ways, but other then the neat cool looks of the auto/digital I actually prefer the manual controls when you come down to actual function. It just seems to work easier for me.
DOUBLE-0-FOURS
Commercial Fisherman
04 2500HD LS Crew 6.0, 4.10
04 1500 WT 5.3, 3.73
Crabman
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 2500HD LS CREW CAB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1500VHO » Dec 09 2012, 5:37am

Hi crabman,

I agree. I have the manual system in my truck, and automatic system in a couple of my cars. I like the manual system. Guess I'm just old fashioned. I remember when radio and heater could be ordered or car/truck purchased with these "options" deleted. ;)

:D
ImageImage
1500VHO
Contributor
Contributor
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1 of 4701 built
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby benz604 » Dec 09 2012, 7:37am

after dealing with some nightmares with my digital system i finally got it right and can honestly say i love it! after setting it up properly it knows just what i like, what you want to do is not impossible but aint easy either, you have to change out all the hvac wiring and your bcm, if you have a donor vehicle complete this would be alot easier but keep in mind there is components every wheres,even in the roof liner for the digital set up
benz604
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4 crewcab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jaseac » Dec 11 2012, 4:03pm

I have a 98 Z71 and of course it has the standard manual controls. What I find odd is that its listed as an option for manual controls and as far as I know there wasn't even a choice for either digital or manual. I fully intend on adding the digital controller that shows inside and outside temps along with adding the rear defogger and heated side mirrors. If no one has posted a "How-to" article on this I will do it when I finish. Be nice if there was a company that sold digital control systems. On another note it would be very nice if there was an aftermarket radio that could be used to control it all.
Jaseac
Year: 1998
Extra Info: 350 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tximonsteritx » Aug 20 2015, 3:20am

I know this might be an old post but could someone tell me exactly what they did and what parts are needed to get the job done? Thanks
tximonsteritx
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Variant: SS
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Newly registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Return to Climate Control