jQuery not supported.

Tapping behind Passenger Side Dash

Tapping behind Passenger Side Dash

Postby Tanner69046 [OP] » Sep 23 2020, 5:28am

I have a 99 chevy silverado. On the passenger side behind the dash I hear a tapping noise that happens every now and then and taps about 5 or so times. It only happens when the fan is turned off. If it starts tapping and I turn the fan on the tapping immediately stops. The HVAC system still has full functionality. Any help is appreciated.
Original Poster
Tanner69046
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Tapping behind Passenger Side Dash

Postby shakenfake » Sep 23 2020, 7:00am

Pretty common for those trucks to have a ton of tapping the dash. There is a video on youtube on where to pinpoint all of it but trying to remove the tapping is an awfully hard thing to do and not worth the time imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrdaN5Ki64M This may be the video but honestly I can't remember it has been a long time since I saw it, this may help
Bandito
Cammed 6.0 coming soon
shakenfake
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 35
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 1999
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Sep 23 2020, 1:19pm

A few years back, I had a 98 Silverado K1500 and I had similar issue. I 'think' I remember that the fan never actually turned all the way off, it rotated a bit, even with HVAC shut down. At least, I think that's what I recall. Anyway, I installed new fan motor and cleaned out the fan, and that fixed it. You may just need to clean out some debris in the fan, that's what I suspect.
Chevy-SS
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2003
Extra Info: LS 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FlameOut » Sep 23 2020, 1:50pm

My 2004 did that. I always thought it was the actuator blend door trying to cycle, because I had the dreaded "hot" AC on once side and cold on the other
FlameOut
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Climate Control