jQuery not supported.

Gas Station Car Wash

Gas Station Car Wash

Postby silverguy3500 [OP] » Feb 08 2020, 7:06pm

Are those brush-less car washes at the gas stations any good? even if you pay for a super deluxe wash with hot wax, is that real wax or is it some generic watered down wax. Just wondering since sometimes I am in a hurry and the hand wash places take long, is it worth it or is there any harm using the gas station car washes?
Original Poster
silverguy3500
Topics: 1
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Gas Station Car Wash

Postby roorancher » Feb 08 2020, 8:11pm

They are what they are...The high pressure water is not the best for your paint, and they will take all the heavy dirt off and make your truck appear clean. Some are maintained better than others.
Also keep in mind that the extreme high pressure water can do damage to parts of the truck, and could dent your roof.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

89200 miles 2/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs pending

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 76
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Feb 09 2020, 2:18am

Some are better than others, as Roo mentioned. Also, the harsh "soap" (chemicals) are likely not good for the paint or trim and probably will strip off any wax you had. The wax they apply isn't worth much at all. But... are those touchless car washes any worse than the rotating brush car washes that beat the heck out of your paint? Six of one, half-dozen of the other, I guess.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Bought new. 2" level, Michelin 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla Touring 32 dmp, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Denali grille, Extang, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED's, 19,380 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Spectreniner » Feb 09 2020, 2:34am

GBSierraSLE wrote:Some are better than others, as Roo mentioned. Also, the harsh "soap" (chemicals) are likely not good for the paint or trim and probably will strip off any wax you had. The wax they apply isn't worth much at all. But... are those touchless car washes any worse than the rotating brush car washes that beat the heck out of your paint? Six of one, half-dozen of the other, I guess.

Are the touchless ones better than brushed? Of course. That's not to say touchless is amazing but brushes that trap dirt and swirl it around on your paint are awful. My dad's Crosstour and my wife's Camry are completely swirled because they do the brushed washes.
Spectreniner
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 CC 5.3l Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ferraiolo1 » Feb 09 2020, 2:37am

They just use harsher chemicals. Yes better than a brush. But no not better than hand wash with a good soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Feb 09 2020, 2:43am

Yep, that was my (poorly stated) point. The touchless chemicals are not worse than the brushes. :lol:
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Bought new. 2" level, Michelin 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla Touring 32 dmp, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Denali grille, Extang, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED's, 19,380 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby jham0077 » Feb 09 2020, 3:06am

We have the manual old school car wash in town. I call it "environmentally friendly". It makes no difference what setting it's on, no soap comes out of it. Just very expensive water.
2013 Silverado
All stock for now....
jham0077
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Extra Info: LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CT2500HD » Feb 09 2020, 3:43pm

"Brushless" car washes include dilute acid in their soap detergent. No thanks.
CT2500HD
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Extra Info: 2500HD RCLB 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FoxProDenali » Feb 09 2020, 3:58pm

Superior Products makes a lot of those products. Same chemicals as any other products we use to clean and maintain. Harsh ? How so. So the detailers and waxes we apply are are good but a 50 gallon jug of it is bad?

You have a choice between jacked up, damaged but ‘clean’ paint, or not so clean paint that’s only as pretty as the last time it was touched.
2007 Sierra Denali 1500
Kooks|Corsa|Amp Research|DiabLew Tune|Vitesse
Build Thread: FoxProDenali's 2007 Sierra - Build, Show, Tell
FoxProDenali
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 26
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Feb 09 2020, 4:06pm

Not entirely correct. Just because they make products doesn’t mean they are all the same. The brushless car washes need the harsher industrial less diluted detergents to get the vehicle clean, because 1 the soap isn’t sitting on the vehicle long enough to actually lift all the dirt off 2 because it’s just water that then tries to remove it.

It strips the wax coating off your paint. And that “wax” upgrade you pay $3 at the car wash dor is a joke.

I’ll use it once in a while it I have too in the winter. But never when temps are above 32* and I can use a hose at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Next

Return to Detailing

Common search terms

using sent make long tapatalk same station wash probably keep last while lift truck thanks since pretty

It is currently Feb 17 2020, 12:16am

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds