jQuery not supported.

Injectors/intake/valve covers cleaning

Engine/injectors/intake cleaning

Postby xraypro1 [OP] » Jul 25 2020, 11:16pm

Not sure if this is best asked here, or in the engine forum. LOL. The truck is new to me, but 20 years old, and I want to do some maintenance including plugs and wires, but feel like it would be smart to do some cleaning first. The previous owner lived on a length of gravel road and I assume what I'm looking at is desert dust stuck to oil or other fluid.

Anyway, thought maybe I should ask those more experienced first, is there any product/techniques that you would recommend (or recommend avoiding) on the coils, valve covers, and intake manifold? I don't want to clean my engine and then find that it won't restart.

ps: trying to add a photo but wouldn't let me

Thanks, Bill.
Original Poster
xraypro1
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 13
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 4.8L 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Injectors/intake/valve covers cleaning

Postby badbruin44 » Jul 26 2020, 12:22am

I`m not really sure myself but utube will have some good know hows and stuff to avoid. I will check as i`m in the same circumstance as you good luck I know not to soak electrical and sensitive areas that will screw things up.
[gallery][/gallery]
badbruin44
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L CAI Gibson
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby xraypro1 [OP] » Jul 26 2020, 1:11am

badbruin44 wrote:I`m not really sure myself but utube will have some good know hows and stuff to avoid.

Right on. Yeah I know you're not supposed to spray water directly into the alternator or on the fuse block and things like that, but I've never had an engine with the coil packs on top of each cylinder like this before. And there's a wiring harness running across there with electrical connectors going to each coil pack. And I guess that's what I'm really wondering, is it safe / recommended to spray cleaner directly on those electrical connections and then hit them with a hose?
Original Poster
xraypro1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FoxProDenali » Jul 26 2020, 2:23am

I always clean my TB and intake plenum by soaking a rag in Seafoam and then rubbing it by hand. Disconnect battery- if it pleases you, though I've never had an issue.

The air cleaner/intake box is probably also dirty so you could pull that and scrub that out with soap and water.

You *could* use B12 Chemtool or Seafoam on a hot soak upper intake and valve cleaning if above else fails.

All wiring in the engine compartment is grounded. You could drive your truck into a swimming pool and nothing will happen. It's built that way. I *lightly* power wash mine to knock crud off all the time. Just avoid any harsh cleaning chemicals or anything that will stick to pulleys or cause caking on moving parts that otherwise benefit from ample lubrication.
2007 Sierra Denali 1500
Kooks|Corsa|Amp Research|DiabLew Tune|Vitesse
Build Thread: FoxProDenali's 2007 Sierra - Build, Show, Tell
FoxProDenali
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Engine/injectors/intake cleaning

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jul 26 2020, 3:55am

Take a look at this thread...

How to Clean Your Engine Compartment
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Fire Red-Bought new. 2" level-Michelin 275/60/20-DiabLew-Webasto Moonroof-Borla Touring 32 dmp-Bedrug-Helwig-Rosen-Denali grille-Extang-Raptor-Boss plow-SL1 LED's. 20,430 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby JB Long » Jul 26 2020, 5:25am

I'm more of the play it safe type. So when I cleaned up under the hood of my truck, I didn't do any spraying, soaking, or pressure washing whatsoever. I took out all of the plastic parts I could remove, then cleaned them all separately, Simple green degreaser, lots of clean rags, and finally a couple coats of ArmorAll. I wiped down all surfaces under the hood with soapy water and a rag, then some clean water soaked rags. It really turned out fantastic, but was a lot of time investment. I really need to do it again, but time on the truck really is not an option with where I'm at in my life currently.
JB Long
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71 CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Jul 26 2020, 6:28am

Yep that's a great thread. I think I used that when I cleaned mine, has some more tips if you read through the whole thing. It's pretty safe to use gentle water stream under the hood, but try not to soak out electrical connections and the alternator primarily. Of course the less water you have to use to rinse the better.

Regularly cleaning under the hood can cause issues, like the knock sensors located underneath the intake manifold are recessed into the valley plate and can trap water which rusts them out.
silentbravo
Topics: 21
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jul 26 2020, 1:31pm

If you do this with a warm engine and drive it soon thereafter, that water will quickly evaporate and not pool or cause rust issues.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Fire Red-Bought new. 2" level-Michelin 275/60/20-DiabLew-Webasto Moonroof-Borla Touring 32 dmp-Bedrug-Helwig-Rosen-Denali grille-Extang-Raptor-Boss plow-SL1 LED's. 20,430 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 17
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby xraypro1 [OP] » Jul 26 2020, 4:58pm

silentbravo wrote:Regularly cleaning under the hood can cause issues, like the knock sensors located underneath the intake manifold are recessed into the valley plate and can trap water which rusts them out.

Yeah that makes sense, but this isn't a show truck that is gonna get shined all the time. I've had show-quality vehicles before but this is a daily driver, and used like a truck. Heck, yesterday I used it to pull 3 old apricot trees out of the ground. And this desert environment is awesome for preserving things, but our regular 60-70mph dust storms would make it impossible to keep clean. Even the driveway on my property is gravel, and half of my land is nothing but bare desert dirt. At 20 years of age it has it's little fluid seeps, and all that desert dust sticks to everything!

Mainly, I just want to give the engine a good cleaning before doing some work. I want to change the plugs and wires and may need to do the intake manifold gaskets as well, to solve my slight "pinging" problem.
Original Poster
xraypro1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Detailing