jQuery not supported.

Micro Fiber towels

How do you clean your detailing towels

Re: Micro Fiber towels

Postby SierraHarley » Sep 06 2019, 4:01pm

plant.one wrote:
MooseKnuckles wrote:I buy a bag whenever they are on sale. a $20 bag can last me a good chunk of the year. They go from detailing clothes to garage clean up rags to the garbage.

thats how i roll with them. buy the cheap-o bulk packs for like 40 or 50 cents per.... toss em in with the regular laundry, find them in whatever sleeve or pants leg they hid in during the wash, and when they're fubar toss em for new ones.

although i'm all for pre-rinsing them if they're extra schmooey with plain ole hot water.

they're meant to be disposable, not an heirloom item you're gonna pass down to the grandkids.

Get some quality ones and you'll see the difference. I use to think the cheapo ones from Sams or Advance Auto were just fine and there was really no difference in them. Wrong. I wouldn't use the cheap ones on the paint anymore, maybe for cleaning the interior or wheels.
If you get some good ones they will not be disposable and end up costing you less in the long run and also be much better on your car than the cheap ones. Also, do not wash them with regular clothes and dry them with high heat or a fabric softener sheet, you are ruining them and defeating the purpose of even washing them and reusuing them. I made that mistake in the past

BFG KO2 265/70/17 * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature * 35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X * DD SL1 headlights
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby MooseKnuckles » Sep 06 2019, 4:10pm

What brand/type do you buy? I'll give em a try
Diablew - Bilstein 5100 FR - Rancho 5000X RR- 14+ Corner Step - 275-65-18 TerrainContact - PowerStop Z36 - BakFlip FiberMax - Ghetto CAI with Airaid dry - Straight Pipe - Eonon Android HU
MooseKnuckles
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 46
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 Crew 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby plant.one » Sep 06 2019, 4:11pm

I only use mine for glass and interior hard surface cleaning.

My clearcoat was pre-micro-scratched when I got the truck @ 10 years old and probably picks up a new stone chip every week or two due to all the highway driving... at least it feels like that often is when I'm repairing a new one anyway.

so I'm a solid member of the wash-all-u-want plan and drive thru the carwash 4-6 days a week.

If I were caring for a restored classic or a brand new shiny $60-$70,000 truck I'd look at it from a completely different perspective.

For what I use them for, semi-disposable walmart specials work just fine.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
08 silverado 1500 LT Z71 4x4 CrewCab
Stage 1 Cam, DOD/AFM Delete, Performance Valve grind, Port/Polished intake/exhaust, custom tune.

StormTrooper

Plant.One's 08 Stormtrooper build
plant.one
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 7
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 4x4 Crew LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jake2250 [OP] » Sep 06 2019, 4:22pm

Ok Thanks everyone! I think you identified the problem. Wife threw a bunch of cloths in with my towels. Then just left them on top of the washer after I told her I needed to line dry them!
Today I will try to rescue them and do a proper wash and line dry!
Also, Has any one else heard of "White Vinegar" in the wash to brighten and prevent lint?
It works well with dog hair! Just a half cup with all the other cloths and when your done, dog hair does not stick to your cloths!
Will try that with the towels to prevent lint!
Original Poster
jake2250
First Responder
First Responder
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
First Responders

Postby SierraHarley » Sep 06 2019, 4:24pm

MooseKnuckles wrote:What brand/type do you buy? I'll give em a try

I like the towels from The Rag Company. Specifically the Eagle Edgeless ones from Korea and the Creature Edgless ones from China.
Korea makes the best microfiber towels but the China ones from the rag company are good as well and cheaper.
https://www.theragcompany.com/microfibe ... detailing/

BFG KO2 265/70/17 * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature * 35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X * DD SL1 headlights
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ricka182 » Sep 06 2019, 4:26pm

MooseKnuckles wrote:What brand/type do you buy? I'll give em a try

I use Chemical Guys mostly.. El Gordo for most, Monster Drying towel, for...umm, drying..lol And I have a few CG gray, can't remember the name, but I use those for sealant removal.

The Rag Company is another high quality brand, Eagle Edgeless is really nice. Towels with a higher % of Polyamide will cost more, and are worth it...

Vinegar will help break down product, and possibly be anti-lint...but a good micro towel that hasn't been contaminate won't have lint anyway.
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby jake2250 [OP] » Sep 07 2019, 4:44am

Ok, so an update. rounded up 14 Micro Fiber towels out of the garage. washed them all by themselves (in between wifes laundry day).
Cold (tap) wash regular soil and a second rinse! 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar, and a splash of arm and hammer laundry soap.
Hung them on the line in the back yard to dry!

Well,, looks like i need 14 new micro fiber towels, these are clean but only as supple as an old terry cloth towel!
And they feel the same as Terry Cloth (all the special Micro Fibers are no longer MICRO) So,, they will get tossed in the "Oil Rag" bucket!
I will chalk this experience up to,,Micro fiber is a "one time use only"!
Original Poster
jake2250
First Responder
First Responder
Group Membership:
Registered users
First Responders

Postby RivGuy » Sep 07 2019, 5:36am

jake2250 wrote:Ok, so an update. rounded up 14 Micro Fiber towels out of the garage. washed them all by themselves (in between wifes laundry day).
Cold (tap) wash regular soil and a second rinse! 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar, and a splash of arm and hammer laundry soap.
Hung them on the line in the back yard to dry!

Well,, looks like i need 14 new micro fiber towels, these are clean but only as supple as an old terry cloth towel!
And they feel the same as Terry Cloth (all the special Micro Fibers are no longer MICRO) So,, they will get tossed in the "Oil Rag" bucket!
I will chalk this experience up to,,Micro fiber is a "one time use only"!

I thought I read in one or more of the posts above to wash them in hot water and if real dirty wash a second time before the spin cycle.
DO NOT use vinegar or they will come out as abrasive as a used terry cloth towel. IDK, maybe we need read all the above posts.
I know I will before I buy some of these micro-fiber towels. I've never used them before. I just recently ran out of my stash of the nice cotton diapers.
I always had a source for what we called "diapers" . Basically very soft white cotton towels that were about 1ft square.
They weren't terry cloth, just soft cotton. When washed they would shrink and had to be on something other than paint.
Worked real well for removing wax or just for the occasional clean up on good quality paint with several coats of clear.
Would use a light spray of wax and just wipe the paint down after you had washed it and let it dry/or used a chamois to dry it.

I could buy them in packs of 12 for about $6.00. Once the surface of each diaper was thoroughly used (dirty) then I would put them in the wash and use them for other things, maybe wheels or interior but not on a perfect paint job. So it all depended on the vehicle paint condition.
But I had perfect paint on my cars and my motorcycle at the time. I used to be able to buy the bundles of them at Target but they no longer sell them and only have micro-fiber towels that feel to abrasive to me. Everyone is cheaping out on good diapers or towels.
RivGuy
Topics: 8
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L HO Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jake2250 [OP] » Sep 07 2019, 4:45pm

Well with all the information here I did some checking, also by chance I looked at a care tag on one of the newer towels. "Cold water wash only" No bleach, air dry!
https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/laundry/wash-microfiber-cloths-towels.html

gee also found on GOOGLE; White vinegar is a natural softener!

But yeah,,

Maybe this? I like to read! I also like to get as much information as i can sometimes! But if the care tag says cold only,, then guess what? Rivguy, when you get down to the "Boil Your towels" let me know what you think??
https://adamspolishes.com/blogs/news/how-to-clean-your-microfiber-towels-restoration-rejuvenation-and-maintenance
Original Poster
jake2250
First Responder
First Responder
Group Membership:
Registered users
First Responders

Postby SierraHarley » Sep 07 2019, 6:42pm

From The Rag Company...
Microfiber Care Instructions
Always wash new microfiber towels prior to first use.
Wash only with other non-linting materials (NO Cotton!) to maintain proper dirt-gripping properties.
Always wash newer black, orange, red, and other dark colored towels separately from lighter colored towels to mitigate the risk of dye bleeding.
Machine wash with mild liquid detergent (free of dyes, fragrances, bleach and softeners.)
Do NOT use chlorine bleach
Do NOT use any fabric softener as this clogs the microfibers and reduces performance.
Tumble dry using low heat.
Do NOT iron.

To wash I use warm, sometimes cold but never hot. I use All Free and Clear detergent.
To dry I tumble dry on low and pull them out when they are just very slightly damp.

It really ain't hard.

Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Previous

Return to Detailing