jQuery not supported.

Need help with exterior detailing questions

Need help with exterior detailing questions

Postby Walkers [OP] » Jan 05 2021, 6:59pm

My wife needs me to detail her Tesla model 3. From what I have seen or heard I need to use a clay brick on it. and then she wants some sort of ceramic coat which again I have heard of but I know nothing about can you guys give me a quick education as to what I need to do the things I need and if this ceramic coating would need any sort of top coat wax anything like that? I would much appreciate the help my appliance white Chevy trucks never got any treatment above washing so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks,
Original Poster
Walkers
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Need help with exterior detailing questions

Postby roorancher » Jan 05 2021, 7:16pm

Did you check the "Detailing Section" Andy? There's a lot of great info there....

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

114,500 miles 01/01/21

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 112
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby 315spotless_bowtie » Jan 05 2021, 7:22pm

This is tricky. While there are many consumer grade ceramic coatings available now, the key is prep work that goes into it before you actually apply the coating. Essentially, if you just wash the car and throw the coating on you'll be locking in any existing swirls, scratches, marring, etc. The proper way to perform the process would be to use a specific car shampoo that would strip off any old wax, soap residue, etc. (generally referred to as a strip wash or decon soap), then you'll want to use a spray on iron contamination remover, properly clay the car, at least a 1 step polishing using a DA or rotary and THEN the pain is properly prepped for a ceramic coating to adhere correctly so that it will actually last.

The second piece of that equation is that Tesla paint is notorious for being difficult to work with and is particularly "soft".
315spotless_bowtie
Year: 2021
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: RST
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FoxProDenaliFoxProDenali is online! » Jan 05 2021, 7:23pm

Si02 (ceramic) top coats are super cheap and some don't even require you to even touch the paint.

Plenty of YT vids that walk you through the proper steps to get the paint how you want it.

If you clay it, you're scratching it.
2007 Sierra Denali 1500
Kooks|Corsa|Amp Research|DiabLew Tune|Vitesse
Build Thread: FoxProDenali's 2007 Sierra - Build, Show, Tell
FoxProDenaliFoxProDenali is online!
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Jan 05 2021, 7:30pm

I just moved this to the Detailing section...

Now to help, clay is an important step before any detail job. It will remove embedded contaminants in the paints clear coat. I'm not sure if Tesla does anything special, but I doubt it...but it also wouldn't surprise me coming from Elon Musk...lol

Anyway...do you know how to use clay? It's pretty easy, but can be a pain in the arse. You can check the paint condition if you put a ziploc bag over your fingers, then mist some water on the paint. It should feel butter smooth...if not, you have stuff to remove, even if you can't see it.

I've used Meguiars clay and Mothers...it's almost all the same. I changed to a clay mitt from Nanoskin a couple of years ago, because it lasts longer and is easier to use, providing similar results. If you drop clay, it's trash, the whole piece that hit the ground...even if you fold it over, because in the process of using the clay, you will need to fold it over anyway so you'd be doing more damage than good. A clay mitt can simply be rinsed off and used again.

Ceramics are tricky...there are very cheap products, and very expensive products. I have yet to try one due to this wide range, until I can do more research, although with other truck issues I have not spent a lot of time keeping it looking good...trying to keep it running instead...lol

As for scratching when claying, never heard that and in my experiences, not true at all. I've used a special light and seen a major improvement in fine details after claying. And any topcoat is nothing more than a temp fix, that needs to be applied repeatedly to keep those results.
Check out Ferriolo1's thread, towards the end. He did a ceramic job, can't remember the product. But he's a smart guy and his truck looks amazing. At last check, he had a bit of snow and almost nothing stuck to his paint.

One item of concern with ceramics is applying it correctly...because if you do it wrong, you may need to buff it off somewhat aggressively, which then resets your progress until you buff back to a fine finish.

And that buffing, goes in between clay and ceramics... Our detailing section has a lot of great information, as does AutoGeek. Mike Philips has a lot of great information as well, but he slightly biased to a few brands he works directly with...
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 179
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Walkers [OP] » Jan 05 2021, 8:59pm

Much thanks on all fronts. I did look I just didn't see the detailing section way down there at the bottom. I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm looking for now. I had just never dealt with Clay brick before. I'll let you all know how it turns out in the end.
Original Poster
Walkers
Topics: 62
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FoxProDenaliFoxProDenali is online! » Jan 06 2021, 1:25am

If you touch modern clear coat, you’re going to scratch it. This includes everything from wash mits to wipe towels. Just part of the process. Do your best to minimize it.

I use a clay pad on my polisher 2x per year. A bar is fine, just takes forever.

Top coat is up to you. I think plain wax looks the best but it just doesn’t last vs synthetics. Just don’t get sucked into spending money on some new hyped product that has no validity behind it and makes a turd shine in the right light.
2007 Sierra Denali 1500
Kooks|Corsa|Amp Research|DiabLew Tune|Vitesse
Build Thread: FoxProDenali's 2007 Sierra - Build, Show, Tell
FoxProDenaliFoxProDenali is online!
Topics: 31
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Detailing