jQuery not supported.

Dexos-D?

Dexos-D oil

Re: Dexos-D?

Postby racermd [OP] » Jan 10 2021, 4:05am

19trax95 wrote:You'll very likely be waiting a while lol.

Read around online and there is a plethora of threads about the whole dexos licensing thing. All it is, is a standard that oils must meet, not much different than the normal oil ratings.

Personally I wouldn't get at all wrapped up in the dexos thing. Use a good oil, and you'll be fine. With a good oil, good filter, and good change interval, you will never have any oil related issues no matter what brand you go with. Realistically, all the top tier synthetics are good oil. You just need to decide which is best for you.

There are warranty concerns. If the manual says, "Use DEXOS-D licensed oil" and you experience an engine failure that could be linked to the use of non-DEXOS-D oil, you may be out of luck with a warranty repair. Once the warranty is up, though...

0w20 is new for diesel applications, as well. Until recently, the existing 0w20 products have an additive package meant for gasoline engines and probably not something you want to use long term in the LM2. So far, and as far as I know, DEXOS-D is the only 0w20 spec meant for diesels.

AMSOIL definitely has a history of making products that exceed the licensing requirements for a given application even when they don't/won't actually get the official licensing so I'm confident the new 0w20 they're offering will be just fine in the LM2. As noted, I'll likely be using it in mine once I get to my next service interval this spring.
Original Poster
racermd
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2020
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 1500 CC SB LM2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jan 10 2021, 4:10am

I have not seen or heard of any cases where the dealer tested the oil to see if it was a dexos approved oil.

But I'm also not one to care much about warranty. I do pretty much as I please so the warranty isn't really on my mind when doing things to my vehicles. So if warranty is the main focus of vehicle ownership, one should probably just have the dealer do all the maintenance at the exact service schedule according to GM so there can be no question, and a record of work performed.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 137
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Jan 10 2021, 6:28am

The new trucks have a 5yr/50,000 mile powertrain warranty now. So-basically 4 years worth of driving for many of us. After that who cares......
CKNSLS
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2018
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jan 10 2021, 6:46am

If you can wait 4 year haha. I don't keep anything stock so I buy things knowing I will very likely void any warranty that may be there. But having said that, I wouldn't even remotely consider using an oil that the manufacturer doesn't pay to get certified as risking warranty. But to each their own.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 137
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Big Till 3.0 » Jan 10 2021, 1:47pm

I'll tell ya what I'd like to see from Amsoil, an oil bypass system for the 3.0.
Had one for my 2005 2500HD and would like one for my 3.0.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Big Till 3.0
Topics: 1
Year: 2020
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Farmguy » Jan 12 2021, 4:20pm

It's different enough that GM's with 3 different (2.8L, 3.0L and 6.6L) engines in trucks, each uses a different spec engine oil.
Farmguy
Year: 2018
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: L5P
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Duramax 3.0 I6

Common search terms

using dexos trucks engine tapatalk pretty while change thing mine stock work sent

It is currently Feb 27 2021, 2:05am

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
Duramax 3.0 I6 Forum
New 3.0 Duramax I6 Engine
To create a new topic in Duramax 3.0 I6, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds