jQuery not supported.

Dexos-D?

Dexos-D oil

Dexos-D?

Postby racermd [OP] » Apr 06 2020, 7:51pm

I know the 3.0l LM2 diesel engine is super-new but does anyone have any sources where they get Dexos-D engine oil, yet? Other than the dealer, I mean.

While I'm in-warranty, I'll probably still let the dealer do the oil changes. Yes, they overcharge but it's not that bad for something I do about twice a year right now. Once I'm out of warranty, I'd like go back to doing my own oil changes again. I can find filters all over the place - oil filters, air filters, fuel filters - from ACDelco, Wix, Fram, etc. The one thing I can't seem to find is Dexos-D engine oil.
Original Poster
racermd
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2020
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 1500 CC SB LM2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Dexos-D?

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Apr 06 2020, 8:11pm

Last I looked into it, which was a couple months ago, only two brands were available.

Acdelco and mobil 1. But mobil supplies the acdelco anyway, so it's only really one brand.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 131
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby WilliamBos » Apr 06 2020, 8:37pm

racermd wrote:I know the 3.0l LM2 diesel engine is super-new but does anyone have any sources where they get Dexos-D engine oil, yet? Other than the dealer, I mean.

While I'm in-warranty, I'll probably still let the dealer do the oil changes. Yes, they overcharge but it's not that bad for something I do about twice a year right now. Once I'm out of warranty, I'd like go back to doing my own oil changes again. I can find filters all over the place - oil filters, air filters, fuel filters - from ACDelco, Wix, Fram, etc. The one thing I can't seem to find is Dexos-D engine oil.

You are allowed to change your own oil under warranty, keep detailed records.
Thanks,
Will
2017 Silverado 1500 QC LT True North Edition 4x4 - Love it.
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 CC 4.8L 4X4 -Traded.
2004 GMC Sierra 1500 CC 5.3L Z71 - 350,000km/ 217,000 miles - RETIRED!
WilliamBos
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 5.3 L83 6L80 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Apr 06 2020, 8:44pm

Once you go back to doing your own oil changes, you might find stuff that makes you wish you had done them from day one.

2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 288
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby racermd [OP] » Apr 06 2020, 8:48pm

WilliamBos wrote:

Yeah, I know. It's just easier for me if they keep those records. They can't argue that something was done improperly if they're the ones doing it (if it was, they're on the hook for it at that point, anyway).
Original Poster
racermd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Apr 06 2020, 8:51pm

Easier to keep records until it's out of warranty and they ruined the oil pan or made the filter so tight it takes an act of god to remove it so now your stuck with dealing with it

Always best to do your own maintenance if your able to. That way there is zero doubt what is going in/on your vehicle, and that it was done correctly.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 131
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby jjs405 » Apr 06 2020, 9:01pm

19trax95 wrote:...Always best to do your own maintenance if your able to. That way there is zero doubt what is going in/on your vehicle, and that it was done correctly.

I agree 100% I cannot remember a time that I ever took my vehicle into the dealer/repair shop & was 100% happy with the way they treated my vehicle ... even something as simple as a warranty repair on a failed DEF heater ... found they lost the cap on my fuel test port; windshield replacement - failed to apply the weather strip correctly, lost plastic clips; etc, etc. etc.

It's always best to do your own maintenance whenever possible.
jjs405
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Apr 07 2020, 12:44am

racermd wrote:
WilliamBos wrote:

Yeah, I know. It's just easier for me if they keep those records. They can't argue that something was done improperly if they're the ones doing it (if it was, they're on the hook for it at that point, anyway).

Don't rely on them keeping records for you. They can be mysteriously "lost" or "unable to locate" when it comes time for a warranty claim. It happened to me once. Be sure to keep hard copies of everything you and the dealer do to the truck.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Fire Red-Bought new. 2" level-Michelin 275/60/20-DiabLew-Webasto Moonroof-Borla Touring 32 dmp-Bedrug-Helwig-Rosen-Denali grille-Extang-Raptor-Boss plow-SL1 LED's. 19,810 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby racermd [OP] » Apr 07 2020, 4:06pm

jjs405 wrote:
I agree 100% I cannot remember a time that I ever took my vehicle into the dealer/repair shop & was 100% happy with the way they treated my vehicle ... even something as simple as a warranty repair on a failed DEF heater ... found they lost the cap on my fuel test port; windshield replacement - failed to apply the weather strip correctly, lost plastic clips; etc, etc. etc.

It's always best to do your own maintenance whenever possible.

I didn't want this to get bogged down in the pros/cons of doing my own maintenance - I'm fully aware having been on both sides of that equation (lube "tech" at a local independent repair shop). My concern is the availability of Dexos-D outside the dealer service/parts channel.
Original Poster
racermd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby racermd [OP] » May 06 2020, 4:57am

Just took my new baby in for the first (free) service with a little over 2600 miles on the odo. On a new vehicle, I always have the first fluid changes done just after "break-in" so the little bits of things that bed/set/wear during that time are flushed out as soon as possible.

When I set up the request online, I made sure to note that it's the LM2 that requires DEXOS-D. I also verbally made sure the service advisor was aware of it and had him verify they actually had some on-hand before releasing my truck to them for the service.

Upon completion, they ALMOST forgot to top off the DEF which is supposed to be included on the "First Service Free" offer when getting a new GM vehicle. It initially got skipped because it apparently didn't show up on the technician's order page. Good thing I checked that before pulling out of the lot!

The receipt I got also shows DEXOS-1 because, apparently, DEXOS-D isn't showing as an option in the service computers for these trucks, yet. However, I did confirm they really used DEXOS-D when doing the work.

Dealer service departments still apparently don't have a lot of info in their computers for the LM2, yet. The staff know they're out there and are coming in but they're not (yet) getting the documentation from GM. (Is there anyone here that works in a GM service department that can confirm what is/isn't in the service computers for the LM2?)

My next oil change will probably be late fall and I'll probably be doing it myself, assuming I can find a reliable source of DEXOS-D at a decent price...
Original Poster
racermd
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next