jQuery not supported.

new 3.0

why did you buy it

Re: new 3.0

Postby mjrchabot » Nov 27 2019, 3:46pm

Gas is currently $1.03/L and diesel is $1.21/L where I live ...

It would take a while for the cost of upgrading to diesel a long time to pay for itself.

I did the math based on the cost of the new Jeep Wrangler diesel for fun ($10k CAD upgrade) and it would take nearly 13 years to pay for itself if all remained equal in fuel prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjrchabot
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2018
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Hybrid
Extra Info: LT 5.3 eAssist 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby judsonlimited » Nov 27 2019, 4:28pm

I've been keeping track of these light truck diesels for a few months now because i am actually considering one in a few years. My gmc and chevy got an average of 16-17 mpg mixed city and highway driving. My current R** hemi gets about the same and a full tank range of about 415 miles. My chevy and GMC had a full tank range of ~375.
I've seen video after video of people testing these new duramaxes and they are getting upwards of 30 mpg and ranges in 600-700 mile range. The R** eco diesel that was just annouced shows 32 mpg epa estimated and with the large tank can go over 1000 miles! to me, the extra $0.65 a gallon seems worth it. I would be more privy to the duramax with it being an inline 6 over a gravity strained v6. The ecodiesel is a $4000~ option over the stock v6 and the duramax almost a $6000~ option over the stock 4 banger.

"CritterGitter: I'm just baffled at the amount of dumb worthless douchebaggery I see being done to these good trucks"

JEFFREY EPSTEIN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF
judsonlimited
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 139
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kevin_n » Nov 29 2019, 4:47am

I am interested in the new diesel in the half ton. But I was reading on the tow ratings and it is the same as the 2012 Silverado 1500 I have now, 9600lbs max. Sure the payload is less also but not sure on that. Looking to buy a toy hauler for 2 full size Harleys and looking for a truck to pull more weight. Sure my truck would be fine but figuring a final weight of around 8,500lbs, so was hoping for a little better number out of the new diesel.
kevin_n
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Nov 29 2019, 12:01pm

Just find yourself a max tow 1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby hercules100 » Dec 29 2019, 8:28pm

Need advise: I live in Nevada and the only emissions required for the new 3.0 Diesel are Federal, but the local dealer sells California emission trucks because they are near the state line (Carson City). I'm new to Diesel rigs and the new 3.0 truck runs great with plenty of power in the hills. I can order a Federal emissions truck or buy a California truck off their lot; today. I can't find out the difference between the two trucks, I can find lots of graphs and mubo jumbo but can't find anybody that can tell me what it all means. If there are any Diesel guys out there I would like to get your opinions. I'm not sure if they both have Cat converters, air pumps, EGR systems, different settings on the smog control module etc, or just different paperwork IE; Sticker. I have a feeling the mileage will be better on the Nevada truck, but again the dealers are not talking.
looking forward to your help, thanks Hercules100
hercules100
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Dec 29 2019, 9:03pm

There are no air pumps or any of that. That stuff all left many, many years ago.

Basically you have the emissions system on the motor, then the after treatment system in the exhaust.

The motors emissions consist of the EGR system (exhaust gas recirculation). There is an egr cooler and valve as well as all the plumbing for that.

This is the system that makes the motor eat it's own excrement.

Then there is the after treatment system. Which is a DOC, DPF, and SCR (diesel oxidation catalyst, diesel particulate filter, and selective catalytic reduction). The DOC is essentially just a diesel version of a regular catalytic converter on a gas vehicle.

The dpf traps the actual particles of soot and hold on to them until a regen happens, which during that, fuel is injected into the exhaust stream to essentially super heat the dpf and burn off the captured soot particles.

Then the scr is an always running system that injects DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) into the catalyst to help neutralize the nox, which is the "harmful" emissions. But don't worry your saving the earth once plastic jug and cardboard box at a time.

Combined these systems cause so many issues and rob power. They are very sensitive to anything amiss and will cause engine derate and shut down conditions if they see something off. Best way is to delete them, but I have not yet seen any available options to do that for the 3.0 duramax as of yet.

However, to answer your exact question on the cali truck vs the standard truck, I have no idea. Probally even stricter control systems if I had to guess. I'd avoid it at all costs.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 128
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby coolslice » Dec 29 2019, 9:12pm

I am literally about to buy a new truck in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I probably shouldn't be looking at a GM, considering the trouble I've had with my last two, but I don't like anything else any better. This new diesel really intrigues me. (I have an L5P Duramax currently) The issue I'm having is that there seems to be little to no info out there from real world owners yet. That's good because if they were having issues, it would be all over the web. I still would like to hear a little more though.

I'm not sure why I keep reading about these not being cost effective, especially compared to the 6.2? Diesel fuel is much cheaper than the required premium gas here.
coolslice
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2016
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Dec 29 2019, 9:21pm

From all the reports I am seeing online of the 3.0, it is getting some outstanding fuel milage.

Way better than any of the gas offerings get.

But it's not the highest towing capacity and is still brand new. Longevity is still un known.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 128
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby buelldude [OP] » Jan 02 2020, 10:57pm

So here is an update on my 3.0. I have gone thru about 5 tanks and its been 60/40 (city/HW) and I have a 4x4 that is getting 28 per tank. I still do the math when I fill up. I did get the computer to tell me one day coming home from work that its giving me 37+. I don't have numbers on towing yet, I know with my camper(small toy hauler) I was pulling it with my 2.8 getting 19. hope to do the same or better, it comes in at 4300 loaded.
Original Poster
buelldude
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hercules100 » Jan 03 2020, 2:52am

Hello to all; Thanks for the information,but I still can't get a straight answer from Chevy, one "sales manager" said they are the same truck the only difference is a sticker. That makes a lot of sense! I will just play poker (hide and watch) with them until I run into someone that knows the answer. My 2000 Silverado has 375K and most things are original, but every time I crank it up I do a "hail Mary" I know that timing chain must be stretched all to hell and I have oil leaks from several places , now the 4 wheel drive system is making an very unusual noise, sound like the front hubs may be getting loose and when put into gear under a driving load they are making the noise, smooth as silk in 2 wheel. I love the truck it has been solid and never left me stranded, but it is just worn out. I will retire it to a ranch truck until it dies.
Thanks Hercules
hercules100
Topics: 7
Year: 2000
Extra Info: z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Duramax 3.0 I6

Common search terms

truck still help silverado thanks same work front

It is currently Apr 05 2020, 3:05pm

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register