jQuery not supported.

new 3.0

why did you buy it

Re: new 3.0

Postby Chamba » Jan 21 2020, 2:38pm

Just to reanimate this thread, I have a 2020 3.0 duramax 4x4 crew cab long bed with sunroof and leather and I absolutely love it thus far. I'm getting a Strong 29 mpg highway and 26.91 mpg actual on the last tank of mixed driving (computer said 26.1, so I got better than the computer said).

I can also say that changing the oil on this wonderful new engine is a joy and a tribute to an engineer who obviously thought more about preventive maintenance than he did about simple assembly line proceedures.

Why anyone would consider a 6.2 instead of this engine baffles me; unless their goal is to support the Saudis with massive fuel consumption.

My only complaint thus far with this engine is that it is too quiet: it sounds like a small block petrol engine, not a diesel.
Like a Rock
Chamba
Topics: 1
Year: 2020
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3 litre Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NoFunTJ » Feb 27 2020, 9:05pm

So, I bought a new 2020 Silverado with the I6 turbo Duramax for my birthday on Thursday February 13.
On Saturday night I got an email from OnStar saying they ran a diagnostic, and I had a problem with emissions. The dealership, Findlay Chevrolet in Las Vegas, NV, was closed on Saturday. So, I took the truck in Monday morning, Feb 17. The shop was backed up with customers. So, they took a few hours to run codes, etc.
When they finally got back to me, they said the turbo had blown.
Since then, they have told me the part is so new that the turbo is not available. I've asked the sales team, the shop manager, the parts department manager, and GM cooperate how long it will take to fix, and nobody has an answer for me. Apparently, they need to take one off of the assembly line.
Has anyone had this kind of problem? If so, how long does it take to resolve. I just want my brand new truck! More than that, I would love for someone to give me an answer on when I can get my truck back.
NoFunTJ
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: RST
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Feb 27 2020, 9:17pm

Ever since the strike the GM parts have been on a long backlog. They are starting to get caught back up now but some parts still are hard to get.

No one will be able to give you a definite answer as to when the dealer will see the new turbo other than the supplier/GM.

Given how new it is they should get you a loaner. Tell the dealer you want one.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 128
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby NoFunTJ » Feb 27 2020, 9:45pm

Well, that is the most cooperate response I could have hoped for. Not only can the dealership do nothing to help, but GM cooperate can't do anything either? On top of that culprit is apparently the striking workers?
So, if that is the case, if the strike is over, and there are turbos being applied to unsold trucks in the plant, why can't they take one of those turbos off the line and send it to my dealer? Shouldn't a priority be placed on trucks that have already been sold?
This is frustrating. I can't recommend anyone buy this model of truck, with this engine because a major component will break after two days and less than two hundred miles. Furthermore, if it does break, look forward to driving a base model LT (if you're lucky, more likely a base model Cruze or Malibu) for an indeterminate amount of time, because GM has no interest in fixing the problem.
NoFunTJ
Extra Info: RST
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Feb 27 2020, 10:43pm

You must not understand how parts supply works.

It isnt as simple as pulling one off the line that is alloted for a production truck. It isnt like they have a pile of them they pick from. They only get as many as they intend to build trucks. So if they have say 150 trucks with the 3.0 duramax scheduled for production, they will have 150 engines for those trucks. The engines and trucks are made at different plants. And all the parts like turbos specifically, are not made by GM, but made by an outside company. Who you guessed it, builds enough to meet current production first then parts supply for purchase next.

It isnt 100% the union goons that went on strike that caused it, but it is VERY largely in part due to just that. Guys had trucks sitting at dealers for WEEKS or MONTHS waiting on major parts like transmissions, engines, etc.

It really is not a big deal. Have the dealer get you a loaner. Sure it sucks, but you will always have issues with the first production runs of trucks and especially new motors. It's that way with every brand and every type of product.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 128
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby pbf56 » Feb 28 2020, 12:24am

I had been driving a 2006 2500hd duramax that I bought new back then. I had great luck with it until a blew a head gasket at 541,000 miles. So I'm a little older and don't pull as big of a trailer anymore, but like diesel engines and the reliability I had with this 1. I wanted the MPG also and would never get it with a gasser. I started out looking in December and found a great deal at the end of the year, it had a list of $53,000 and the "make me drive" price they gave me over the phone was $40,000. So we picked it up New Years day. I have gotten 600 to 700 miles per tank, 28 to 31 mpg and not too many complaints. I do drive a lot sometimes, I have 7,500 miles on it.I took it in for the first oil change at about 3,500 miles and it took the dealer 3 hours to complete it, come to find out, they did not have the correct oil 0 -20 wt and had to order it in.
I did take it in to have a noise checked out, a rattle sound and they claim it is the EGR valve and GM is aware of this issue. I was driving twice and the XM service cut out and had to call them up to reboot it, the wanted me to stop the truck and open the doors and windows for 20 minutes so the refresh signal could get in. LOL
pbf56
Variant: LT
Extra Info: duramax 3.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adam86107 » Feb 28 2020, 1:28am

NoFunTJ wrote:Well, that is the most cooperate response I could have hoped for. Not only can the dealership do nothing to help, but GM cooperate can't do anything either? On top of that culprit is apparently the striking workers?
So, if that is the case, if the strike is over, and there are turbos being applied to unsold trucks in the plant, why can't they take one of those turbos off the line and send it to my dealer? Shouldn't a priority be placed on trucks that have already been sold?
This is frustrating. I can't recommend anyone buy this model of truck, with this engine because a major component will break after two days and less than two hundred miles. Furthermore, if it does break, look forward to driving a base model LT (if you're lucky, more likely a base model Cruze or Malibu) for an indeterminate amount of time, because GM has no interest in fixing the problem.

That sucks. I hope they get you squared away. Looks like you're racking up the miles pretty fast. Plan on keeping it past the powertrain warranty? With the cost of the components on a diesel I would have a hard time going without a warranty.
adam86107
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 74
Year: 2005
Extra Info: RST 5spd manual 4.8L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Turbochris » Feb 28 2020, 9:32am

Tell them to pull the turbo off another new truck sitting on the lot and install it on yours and they can put the other turbo back on that truck once it finally comes in keeping a customer happy and back on the road.
When i was a dealer tech I've done that with new cars to get parts not on hand and a happy customer back on the road. Even got paid to do the job twice by warranty on both vehicles.
If GM can't do this for you since the turbo isn't available otherwise for probably/potentially weeks away, well then GM just sucks if they can't do this to keep a happy customer driving in their vehicle. Nothing worse than making payments on something you're not even able to drive.
Tell them to pull their heads out of their asses and make it happen. If they have a new truck with this engine on lot then pull the turbo off that one for you.
Turbochris
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 5.3L CCSB 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chamba » Mar 02 2020, 11:59pm

I can imagine the setup for a future unhappy customer here though. How does a dealer sell a car as "new" when it's had fairly invasive mechanical surgery involving parts swapping already? I'd be aprehensive about buying a new car with that kind of maintenance history when if it was done in the name of helping others.

I hope they sort out your turbo issue quickly. That's really unfortunate.

For what is worth, one of my co-workers ordered his duramax just after i ordered mine and his has also been trouble free for over 5000 miles. I think you've got a good truck with a single issue.
Like a Rock
Chamba
Topics: 1
Extra Info: 3 litre Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Turbochris » Mar 03 2020, 2:50am

Chamba wrote:I can imagine the setup for a future unhappy customer here though. How does a dealer sell a car as "new" when it's had fairly invasive mechanical surgery involving parts swapping already? I'd be aprehensive about buying a new car with that kind of maintenance history when if it was done in the name of helping others.

They do it all the time, before you bought your truck brand new did you request the service record history on it? I bet you and 99.9% of people out there or on here have never once requested the service history on a brand new vehicle before buying it.
I personally wouldn't worry much about a turbo which is a simple external engine part being swapped out on the service history but i would most definitely be upset if i bought a vehicle that got hit on the lot and sold new to me and guess what that does in fact happen all the time!
Just because you bought brand new doesn't mean it hasn't had service repairs or body work done! Just a buyer beware here i suppose.
Turbochris
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 5.3L CCSB 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext