jQuery not supported.

new 3.0

why did you buy it

Re: new 3.0

Postby raidernationmike » May 21 2020, 1:59am

racermd wrote:
Retired guy wrote:I got mine after coming from a GMC Denali with the 6.2L gas engine and was tired of 15 mpg . I seldom tow and just wanted better mileage in my day to day driving. So far I’m averaging 26 mpg with the diesel and loving it.

I, too, came from a Denali with the 6.2L but switched for the overall fuel range on a single tank - an extension of overall fuel economy.

The power of the 6.2L was... intoxicating. But all I really needed was the torque to haul a bunch of stuff for the family and pull some fairly light trailers around. The 3L diesel has all the torque of the 6.2L but way down low in the RPM band which makes pulling anything (within the bounds of a half-ton pickup's capability) super-easy. The fuel economy is crazy for a truck this size, too. That said, the one and only thing I miss about that 6.2L is the highway passing power. Okay, maybe the great sound that engine made, too.

Either GM is severely under-rating the tow figures for its trucks or the other manufacturers are over-rating theirs. This platform is SOOOOO capable of more.

Part me of really wishes GM didn't mothball the 4.5L diesel (LMK) that was in development before the carpocalypse. Rumored to have 300-ish hp and 500-ish torque, THAT would have been a beast of an engine for a half-ton pickup. And probably a topic for a different area of the forum...
I’m about to retire my Denali 6.2L for a new Silverado RST I’m seeing many people have fan issues on YouTube and seems to be related to coolant valve versus engine issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raidernationmike
Year: 2020
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: RST 3.0I Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby racermd » May 21 2020, 4:16am

raidernationmike wrote:I’m seeing many people have fan issues on YouTube and seems to be related to coolant valve versus engine issues

If you're referring to the main cooling fan being always on, I got that briefly in February just a few days after picking up my truck. I plugged in the block heater because ambient temps were near zero and I didn't want to take a chance on anything freezing up. Turns out, there's an issue with the fans running full tilt and the louvers opening despite the temps in the truck not needing it which seems to be triggered by the block heater being used when temps are above zero, even slightly.

I read elsewhere that GM seems to know about it but hasn't issued a proper fix out to dealers.

The workaround for now it's to let the truck sit for about 6 hours. After that, it should return to normal. If not, it should be an easy thing to get your local dealer to diagnose and document for the team upstream at GM to look at.
racermd
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 1500 CC SB LM2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby swervin36 » May 29 2020, 2:26pm

Have had several Chevy trucks over the years all getting 15-18 on the highway. I started looking at the 2500 Diesels about 5-6 years ago due to the MPG and durability of them. At the time I was making regular trips from NE PA to Central Alabama. Cost and not being able to justify the purpose of moving into a 2500 is what kept me from pulling the trigger. I do pull a trailer occasionally, two Harleys and gear, total weight around 4k. The 5.3's I have had pull that at highway speeds with no issues. Again hard to justify a 2500 for pulling a 4k load. When the little Duramax's came out, I wanted to take a look. The 9k towing was the same as the 4WD SLT that I traded and plenty for when I needed to tow the bikes. So I when ahead and pulled the trigger. Time will tell but so far I am very pleased with the truck. It has the getup and go of the 6.2 with the mileage of a 4 banger, what's not to like. I did break the cardinal rule of buying a new truck during the first release year but again time will tell.
swervin36
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: 3.0L Durama Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users
Previous

Return to Duramax 3.0 I6

Common search terms

truck engine trucks thing used getting power anything tapatalk mine issue light same silverado sent using first great

It is currently Jul 16 2020, 1:42am

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
Duramax 3.0 I6 Forum
New 3.0 Duramax I6 Engine
To create a new topic in Duramax 3.0 I6, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds