jQuery not supported.

new 3.0

why did you buy it

Re: new 3.0

Postby raidernationmike » May 21 2020, 1:59am

racermd wrote:
Retired guy wrote:I got mine after coming from a GMC Denali with the 6.2L gas engine and was tired of 15 mpg . I seldom tow and just wanted better mileage in my day to day driving. So far I’m averaging 26 mpg with the diesel and loving it.

I, too, came from a Denali with the 6.2L but switched for the overall fuel range on a single tank - an extension of overall fuel economy.

The power of the 6.2L was... intoxicating. But all I really needed was the torque to haul a bunch of stuff for the family and pull some fairly light trailers around. The 3L diesel has all the torque of the 6.2L but way down low in the RPM band which makes pulling anything (within the bounds of a half-ton pickup's capability) super-easy. The fuel economy is crazy for a truck this size, too. That said, the one and only thing I miss about that 6.2L is the highway passing power. Okay, maybe the great sound that engine made, too.

Either GM is severely under-rating the tow figures for its trucks or the other manufacturers are over-rating theirs. This platform is SOOOOO capable of more.

Part me of really wishes GM didn't mothball the 4.5L diesel (LMK) that was in development before the carpocalypse. Rumored to have 300-ish hp and 500-ish torque, THAT would have been a beast of an engine for a half-ton pickup. And probably a topic for a different area of the forum...
I’m about to retire my Denali 6.2L for a new Silverado RST I’m seeing many people have fan issues on YouTube and seems to be related to coolant valve versus engine issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raidernationmike
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2020
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: RST 3.0I Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby racermd » May 21 2020, 4:16am

raidernationmike wrote:I’m seeing many people have fan issues on YouTube and seems to be related to coolant valve versus engine issues

If you're referring to the main cooling fan being always on, I got that briefly in February just a few days after picking up my truck. I plugged in the block heater because ambient temps were near zero and I didn't want to take a chance on anything freezing up. Turns out, there's an issue with the fans running full tilt and the louvers opening despite the temps in the truck not needing it which seems to be triggered by the block heater being used when temps are above zero, even slightly.

I read elsewhere that GM seems to know about it but hasn't issued a proper fix out to dealers.

The workaround for now it's to let the truck sit for about 6 hours. After that, it should return to normal. If not, it should be an easy thing to get your local dealer to diagnose and document for the team upstream at GM to look at.
racermd
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 1500 CC SB LM2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby swervin36 » May 29 2020, 2:26pm

Have had several Chevy trucks over the years all getting 15-18 on the highway. I started looking at the 2500 Diesels about 5-6 years ago due to the MPG and durability of them. At the time I was making regular trips from NE PA to Central Alabama. Cost and not being able to justify the purpose of moving into a 2500 is what kept me from pulling the trigger. I do pull a trailer occasionally, two Harleys and gear, total weight around 4k. The 5.3's I have had pull that at highway speeds with no issues. Again hard to justify a 2500 for pulling a 4k load. When the little Duramax's came out, I wanted to take a look. The 9k towing was the same as the 4WD SLT that I traded and plenty for when I needed to tow the bikes. So I when ahead and pulled the trigger. Time will tell but so far I am very pleased with the truck. It has the getup and go of the 6.2 with the mileage of a 4 banger, what's not to like. I did break the cardinal rule of buying a new truck during the first release year but again time will tell.
swervin36
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: 3.0L Durama Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Tommy17 » Feb 01 2021, 1:01am

buelldude wrote:So to start this off
Going back to a full size truck with mpg that so has been higher than my last diesel. I wanted more tow power. What about anyone else, seems like this 1/2 ton diesel group isn't catching on. I know its the first year and no one wants to buy one till they get feed back from others that took the dive.

Just returned from a 3400 mile trip cruise set on 80mph when possible got 25.2 miles to a gallon with a nasty crosswind the last 1000 miles. I really love the truck has 6200 miles on.it so it goes to get oil changed and tires rotated tomorrow. Had a 2017 R** ecodiesel before and it was also excellent on fuel.
Tommy17
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2021
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby i82much » Feb 01 2021, 1:20am

I would like to see GM do something cool like take an older classic V8 and convert it to diesel. I bet an Olds 350 would be perfect!
i82much
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 CCSB WT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tommy17 » Feb 01 2021, 1:28am

buelldude wrote:So to start this off
Going back to a full size truck with mpg that so has been higher than my last diesel. I wanted more tow power. What about anyone else, seems like this 1/2 ton diesel group isn't catching on. I know its the first year and no one wants to buy one till they get feed back from others that took the dive.

Just returned from a 3400 mile trip cruise set on 80mph when possible got 25.2 miles to a gallon with a nasty crosswind the last 1000 miles. I really love the truck has 6200 miles on.it so it goes to get oil changed and tires rotated tomorrow. Had a 2017 R** ecodiesel before and it was also excellent on fuel.
Tommy17
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chamba » Feb 01 2021, 3:18am

18,350 miles on mine and i love it to death: best chevy I've ever owned. Averaging 26 mpg since i lifted it 3", 30 mpg before the lift. Towing our 25' bunkhouse travel trailer i averaged 14.8 while my mate with an f150 ecoboost averaged 8.5 with a similar trailer.

My computer is consistently 10% lower than my real world economy (dividing the miles driven by the gallons used). I suspect this would be so with all of these. So if your computer is saying you're getting 20 mpg, I'd bet you're getting closer to 22 mpg in real world.

Also, I change my own oil and love how easy and well placed it is. I just changed my fuel filter and it was equally easy. Chevy really knocked it out of the park with this truck. My only complaint thus far is i REALLY wish it had a bigger fuel tank.
Attachments
20210129_083019.jpg
Like a Rock
Chamba
Extra Info: 3 litre Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tommy17 » Feb 01 2021, 6:33am

I owned an ecodiesel for 65000 miles (2017) never had one issue with it I like this 2021 gmc duramax just hope it is as good as the R** was for me.
Tommy17
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tommy17 » Feb 01 2021, 6:42am

I think GM has a winner with this baby duramax I swore I would never have another gm diesel as I had a 1996 2500 6.5 turbo diesel and what a piece of junk it was!! My brother and I both have 2021 duramax bought a few weeks ago in December we both have thumbs up for them.
Tommy17
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Retired guy » Feb 01 2021, 2:14pm

I’ve got just over 9000 miles on my 2020 High Country and really love the 3.0 L diesel. I’m averaging 25 mpg pretty much everywhere which is at least 10 mpg’s better than my previous GMC Denali with the 6 Liter gas engine. The diesel doesn’t have as much top end passing power as the gas engine, but at the low end it’s pretty close.
Retired guy
Topics: 2
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 3.0 L diesel
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext