Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2015 vs 2019 Duramax

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  19trax95 
#1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my from 2008 1500 w/ 5.3 to a Duramax.

I have been looking for a low-mileage 2019 and found a few with less than 20,000 miles for decent prices but I'll have to go 200+ miles to get it. I just came across a 2015 LTZ with 15,000 miles with the Z71 Appearance Package. They are asking $47,000. For that mileage, is that a good price? I don't know the story behind it but it's a one-owner and is in Panama City, FL.

I've read about the CP4 issues on the LML but other than that, any issues with the 15's? Any reason I should go with one over the other? I know I can delete and tune the LML much easier than the 19's so that a plus. But, the 19's are pushing more power factory.

#2 ·
That price is about right in my area. Especially given the miles. Usually the LTZ and High Country trucks with under 100k miles are in the mid $40k range.

The LT and lower trucks are mid to upper $30k depending on miles.

As for the year, I have a 15 and I love it. I could have went with an L5P but they still cost more than double to tune and parts are still fairly scarce, although getting much, much better as of late.

Other than the potential for cp4 issues, which is smaller than AFM failure, they are solid trucks. No matter the brand or year you will have the potential for emissions issues. Which is the biggest problem with modern diesels. The emissions systems just absolutely ruin them. But that's also something that is fixable.

#3 ·
I'm hoping I can get them down a little on the price. I would fully delete and tune the truck if I were to get it so the emissions stuff shouldn't be an issue.

I kick myself because I was just down in Panama City visiting family and didn't even think to see if they had any trucks there. Of course I look today and found one down there. The only thing that scares me is that it's a 5 year old truck with 15,000 miles on it. Makes me wonder if it had a bunch of problems or they just didn't drive it much.

#5 ·
hopefully just a camper puller like the few low mile ones I know.

There are two guys here at work that have some with very low miles like that.. one drives an S10 to work and the other a buick car.

I'm in the same boat as you and I think I will likely go ahead and get the LP5 although a little more expensive to tune and what not I think the aftermarket will catch up as I upgrade here and there. The only BUT to that is if I run across an LML that I can not pass up.

#10 ·
Correct me if I am wrong Eric but do the deletes, tune it and do a CP3 conversion and chances are you may never need a warranty!

#11 ·
Yup.

Realistically you probably wouldnt need warranty without the cp3 conversion.

Just getting rid of all the garbage they slap on these motors takes care of 95% of the potential issues. The cp4 pump failures only account for a couple percent of the trucks out there. And dirty fuel, water, and lack of lubrication are the killers of them.

Running a good additive, getting fuel from a high volume station, and keeping up on filter maintenance is crucial. But that's really with any diesel. A lift pump will further help keep the fuel clean and water free.

But the cp3 conversion is the way I went. I did it for two reasons. First was to dump the cp4, and the other was to have the ability to add power down the road without needing to change the pump anyway.

#13 ·
A lift pump is a must either way.

But the cp3 conversion is a good thing all by itself as well. However, in my opinion, if you stick with the cp4, a lift pump and good fuel additive are a must.

I still run a dose of optilube every fill up and have my lift pump even though I'm running a cp3 now.

It makes life better for the little transfer pump on the high pressure pumps and helps keep them fed with air and water free fuel.

#14 ·
Got a link to the truck you are looking at?

#17 ·
OP, Eric is correct 100% IRT the 15 and older being easier to delete, and he makes me envious every time I see his progress, but I own a 2019 like the one you posted a link to. I have had one recall for the engine block hearted and one for a ECM update. I love this truck, and if you could possibly talk the place down a little, you would be very happy with the 2019. as time goes on, I am hoping to see a reduction in the price to delete, but we do have a 100K powertrain warranty on these, which I am sure you would get with the 2019.

good luck in your search, post us some pictures when you get one.

#18 ·
I'm heading to look at the silver one this weekend and check it out.

The one thing I like about the white is it has the Z71 Appearance Package with everything colormatched. The first thing I would do on the silver one is get rid of the chrome and have it all wrapped to colormatch.

#19 ·
I liked the color matched look also...but the chrome parts sure take a road beating better than the painted stuff.

#21 ·
Went and looked at the silver 2019. Overall it was in really good condition with a few cosmetic blemishes. Most could be buffed out but there is one issue with the tailgate. Looks like something hit or it closed on something and caused it to bend. Underside all looks good with no noticeable spots underneath it.

My next question is on height. We took a tape measure to see if we could get an idea of height since I want it to be able to fit in the garage. We have a standard 7' opening and based on what we could tell it should fit but I would also plan on leveling and adding a size or so bigger tire. Nothing crazy.

For those that have a 2015 - 2019, do they fit in a standard 7' garage with a little room to spare?

Just for giggles, does anybody know if a 2020 2500 will fit in a standard 7' garage?

#22 ·
A stock height 2500 will fit in the garage height wise.

Leveled it will be EXTREMELY close. Mine will still just barely clear by maybe 3/4" to the tip of the shark fin.

The 2020 trucks sit much higher to begin with so those won't fit when leveled at all unless you do a reverse level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.