jQuery not supported.

Duramax question

Duramax question

Postby codydegelia [OP] » May 23 2020, 3:14pm

First post, so yall take it easy. Currently, I'm driving a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3. Recently, it suffered a collapsed lifter, part of the DOD or AFM system. I want to get a truck with out DOD. I understand the duramax as well as the 6.0 vortec do not have this. I don't pull a lot, maybe a 7000lb boat here and there, and my daily commute is only 14 miles round trip. My question is would a stock duramax be a safe bet for short daily trips? I dont want to be swamped with excessive maintenance and repair. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Original Poster
codydegelia
Topics: 1
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Re: Duramax question

Postby ferraiolo1 » May 23 2020, 3:24pm

I would personally buy a 6.0. Admax is overkill for that, and the short trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » May 23 2020, 3:30pm

Sounds like the 6.0 in a 2500 would be a better match.

Unless your willing to spend some extra and tune it and delete it to eliminate the failure prone emissions system.

But diesels dont like short trips. Neither do gas engines really, but it's worse on the diesels.

But the diesel will get better fuel mileage towing by a good amount. Will have way more power, and have a much higher resale (and also purchase price).

Maintenance isnt a whole lot more on the diesel but repair costs can be if something fails. So its important to weigh your options and see what factors you like best about each and then decide from there.

Having said all that, I went from a 2017 1500 with the 5.3 to a 2015 2500 with the 6.6. I have never been happier with the switch.

Power is awesome, fuel milage is good, and I'm not limited in towing anymore.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 131
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby WesleySilverado » May 23 2020, 3:58pm

Sounds kind of like the predicament I was in. Have a small two axle travel trailer that weighs in less than 6000 pounds. Only towed a few times a year. Slightly over GVWR for my 2015 Silverado 5.3 which also has had the collapsed lifter issue and/or most recently undiagnosed electrical issues causing it to shut off the motor with no warning while driving.

Was on the fence about making the move to a 2019 leftover Duramax 2500 that was still on some local dealers lot. Truck looked sharp as it had dealer installed add ons like a rough country lift kit, fender flares, and beefed up wheels/tires.

Hell of a deal to be had but way overkill for anything in my driveway. Was looking at about 4K on top of the deal to get an 8 yr 150K bumper to bumper coverage (which I'd want with the fear of expensive diesel maintenance).

Ultimately ended up pulling the trigger on a 2020 TRD Pro T****a which is a sharp looking truck, rated to tow more than my 15 Silverado, and hopefully won't have the same mechanical issues that caused me to shop in the first place.

I really don't understand why I could not get the same LS3 6.2 L V8 motor that I have in my 2017 Chevy SS in a new GMC or Silverado pickup.

Screw all that nanny crap of AFM or DFM now. More crap to break. Test drove F**d and R** 150 and 1500 too. They both have crap like that too. Heck.....the F**d turns off at every stop unless you hit a button to disable but you have to do that every time you are in the vehicle for a new drive.

If you decide on a Duramax..........IG Burton Chevy in Berlin, MD has that 2019 leftover I was talking about. I test drove it. No way in heck though that the boss lady at home would ever drive something that big, lifted, etc...etc..

Good luck with things!
WesleySilverado
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 6 speed Trans
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » May 25 2020, 4:06am

If you dont tow heavy, then dont get the diesel. I have had several DMax 2500s and dont tow as much and have gone to a 6.0 2500. I can still pull quite a bit, though it works harder at it. If you are only going to tow 7K you will not benefit from the extra expense of the diesel.
Walkers
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Duramax question

Postby kingsize » May 25 2020, 12:41pm

[mention]codydegelia [/mention] and [mention]WesleySilverado [/mention] at what mileage did your lifters fail? Did you have AFM disabled with a tune or Range device.

Thanks
kingsize
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WesleySilverado » May 25 2020, 10:59pm

I don't remember the exact mileage when the lifters failed. Was he 75K and 80K. Had gotten into the gas a bit....heard a loud noise and then the truck started running like crap and the dash lit up like the Vegas strip. Luckily I had the extended warranty to cover out until 100K.

The only mods I had done were a cold air intake and a Borla cat back exhaust. I was planning on keeping it and doing a true AFM delete after 100K along with long tube headers. However the electrical issues helped to push me away from keeping it.

Having said that if anyone needs a set of new in box American Racing Headers on the cheap let me know. I can provide exact part number as it only fits certain year 5.3 L V8 GMC or Chevy pickups.
WesleySilverado
Topics: 9
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 6 speed Trans
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kingsize » May 26 2020, 6:16pm

Thanks for the reply, I’m at 77k now on my 2015 and no issues to date
kingsize
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Duramax 6600 6.6L V8 Diesel