jQuery not supported.

Duramax Questions

Duramax Questions

Postby cblades [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 3:37pm

I am looking to get into a duramax in the coming months and am curious if there is anything I should be looking out for? Looking at 2016 and newer with less than 50,000 miles. Not narrowed it down to one truck yet just searching for now. I currently drive a 2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab Z71 and have never owned a diesel before. I by no means need a diesel to tow my 4000lb boat but when I take trips to Ontario fishing my truck needs more payload to haul water, food, and supplies to last a week. And after towing my boat with my dads old 2012 duramax it was quite impressive. Thanks
Original Poster
cblades
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: CC Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Duramax Questions

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Jan 13 2020, 4:06pm

I made that exact switch a little under a month ago.

I traded in my 2017 1500 for a 2015 2500 duramax. Couldn't be happier. Power is outstanding, and will be getting better shortly once I tune it.

Main thing is that these diesel, the LML specifically, need a few things done to them to maximize reliability and longevity.

First and biggest thing is a lift pump. This helps filter, remove water, and remove air from the fuel. It also pushed clean fuel to the cp4 high pressure pump to help make its life easier.

Also highly important is using a good fuel additive and fueling up at high traffic, quality stations.

Then there is the second most important thing and that's getting rid of the emissions. The emissions systems absolutely ruin the motor. Mainly the egr system. It forces the engine to inhale it's own exhaust, which carbons up the intake and accelerates wear on everything due to the highly abrasive carbon.

The dpf and scr systems aren't too horrible other than the wasted fuel it used when in a regen and having to add def.

But once you take care of those things, they are really good motors.

The cp4 on the lml motors does have issues. Similar to the AFM issues on the 1500 trucks. The majority go without issues, but some most definitely do have issues. And it can be very expensive if the pump fails.

They fail due to contamination in the fuel and modern fuels poor lubrication properties. Which is why the lift pump and additive is so crucial. When they fail they often send metal through the fuel system which means you need to replace the pump, injectors, lines, fuel rails, etc.

This can be avoided before anything potentially happens by doing a cp3 swap. This will generally run around the $2-4k mark depending on the parts you use and if you do it yourself or not.
ImageImage
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 133
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jan 13 2020, 4:15pm

Also note. The 2017 + trucks, although more powerful can’t be deleted or modded without dropping 5k into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Jan 13 2020, 4:18pm

^^^ good point to mention

The LML trucks (2011-2016) can be tuned for right around $1500ish depending what you get.

The L5p trucks will be well Iin excess of $5k just to get them tuned. It involves a new ecm, which only HPtuners sells. And also only their adapter can communicate with. And not too many companies are doing tuning for them.
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby cblades [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 4:42pm

So would you guys recommend getting a 2016 truck and getting it tuned and deleted over getting a 2017 truck? Is the tune and delete more valuable than say spending money on an extended warranty? Lastly, how much power does the tune and delete add? I only drive about 8500 miles a year if that. I test drove a 2016 Saturday and it had GOBBBS of power already.
Original Poster
cblades
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Jan 13 2020, 4:51pm

Depends how much money you want to spend.

If you have the money to tune the 2017+ trucks then definitely get one of those. They make more power starting out and dont have a cp4.

If you dont want to spend realistically around $7k all said and done for a good delete and tune for the truck then the LML is what you want. I'm going to be all in at around $1500 for the tunes, $550 for exhaust, and then depending what exactly I get, $2k for a full egr delete. And by full delete i mean new up pipes, and all new intake piping. It can be done MUCH, much cheaper with using blocker plates. But I want all that garbage off the top of my motor. And it looks nicer.

So really you can do a full delete, tunes, cp3 conversion and all to an LML and be at the same cost as just a tune and exhaust on an L5p.

All depends what you want.

If you have no desire to delete or tune then definitely go L5p without a doubt. More power and a better fuel pump.

But as for power, tuning on a diesel is night and day different than a gas truck.

The tunes I am getting, will have 5 levels, first is optimized stock, which is 30 HP over stock. 2nd is heavy tow which is 40hp over stock, 3rd is light tow 80hp, 4th is sport 120hp and 5th is the race tune which the dyno at 545hp at the rear wheels with just a lift pump.

So power is much better than stock. As is fuel mileage, engine wear, better shifting, etc. And you completely eliminate the biggest source of issues on these trucks which is emissions system failures.
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby cblades [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 5:22pm

So how much total would it cost to delete a 2016 the right way and gain the most power? Again, thanks for the replies. I have always had gas 5.3 trucks but just want the power and ease of towing a diesel provides. I live in the flatlands of Illinois but I like to take trips during the summer and it seems like last summer when I had my 2017 loaded down with gear and a boat that thing was screaming in the hills. My dads old duramax didn't even flinch.
Original Poster
cblades
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Jan 13 2020, 5:25pm

For all top of the line stuff, with 5 tunes it's around $4k.

But like I mentioned it can be done much cheaper and still be done right.
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jan 13 2020, 6:32pm

A guy at work had his 2016 fail with around 30k miles on it. i believe he said the dealer replaced everything from the gas tank to the injectors or something like that because of those metal shavings.
131,500 as of 7/21/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Jan 13 2020, 6:38pm

Yeah that's the best way to ensure no metal is left in the system.

They do make a metering valved called the system saver that has a heavier duty, smaller micron screen to hopefully catch any metal should the pump come apart and shut the motor down faster before more damage is done.

It's like $240 and is fairly simple to change. No sure fire thing though.
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users
Next