jQuery not supported.

AFM delete with solid roller lifters w/ a hydraulic cam

Re: AFM delete with solid roller lifters w/ a hydraulic cam

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jul 29 2020, 3:48pm

My thoughts were the dyno proven horse power and torque gains would be worth it if you were not planing or wanting to upgrade the rest of the valve train while doing a AFM swap anyways. My truck is a driver but calling my truck a daily driver would be a stretch since I do not drive it much.
I just do not have a good enough back or neck or the wallet to have the valves checked and adjusted once a year need it or not.
From what I remember and see on other forums the harder and longer you drive it the more often you will need to adjust them and this intensifies with higher lift longer duration cams meant for solid lifters not to mention with a more aggressive cam means stronger valve springs all of this considered a solid lift roller cam is desirable for my application but is not something I will do.
It is just people spend so much money to get this kind of performance gains when it is a free upgrade in reliability and performance with the hydraulic lifters removed from the equation while doing a AFM swap but I agree this is not even a consideration for the majority of people that are considering a AFM swap.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jul 29 2020, 5:35pm

Ok. So don’t add solid lifters then.

It’s still an over complication, the hp gains aren’t that great for the extra trouble.

A tune and long tube headers will do just as much. With no continuous maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Aug 01 2020, 2:49pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:Ok. So don’t add solid lifters then.

It’s still an over complication, the hp gains aren’t that great for the extra trouble.

A tune and long tube headers will do just as much. With no continuous maintenance.

I am guessing you did not get the point, the question or even the reason for the question. But thanks for your thoughts anyways.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 01 2020, 3:16pm

I understood your question. And you answered yourself as to one of the reasons as why it’s it’s not reasonable to do it.

EaOutlaw1969 wrote:I just do not have a good enough back or neck or the wallet to have the valves checked and adjusted once a year need it or not.

Unless you’re racing your truck. There are much easier, reliable, and less maintenance intensive ways to get a little extra hp.
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Aug 01 2020, 3:44pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:I understood your question. And you answered yourself as to one of the reasons as why it’s it’s not reasonable to do it.

EaOutlaw1969 wrote:I just do not have a good enough back or neck or the wallet to have the valves checked and adjusted once a year need it or not.

Unless you’re racing your truck. There are much easier, reliable, and less maintenance intensive ways to get a little extra hp.

What we have here is a failure to communicate, You simple do not understand the question. I agree I may not have presented it well enough to be understood.
And I am also not try to convince you or anyone to go out and do this .
I simply wanted to know from anyone that is running solid lifters yet installed a hydraulic cam during a AFM swap how reliable that set up was for them.
I did read on other sites where on non AFM engines people are running this setup and have gone past 30000 miles with no need for a lash adjustment and if this is the case it would be worth it if the right parts are chosen during a AFM delete. It is not about trying to get the most HP is it about having a reliable engine with less parts to fail and a lighter valve train just by selecting different lifters and getting free power as a side effect.
Sure everyone's results would vary, some people drive their truck like they stole it and take it the drag strip yes absolutely they would have more to tinker with. but the average guy who is looking for a better solution while doing a AFM delete going solid looks like a decent option but would need to have much more real world data to decide. not just someone stomping on their keyboard claiming it will be maintenance intensive when they haven't tried it.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 01 2020, 3:48pm

Answer your question, no. I’ve not seen it on any of the gm sites during all the years I have been on them.

99% of people install the TSP DOD delete kit with a nice cam and move on. I’ve not even seen a solid lifter kit for the afm ls/lt based engines.

Wasn’t that engine masters episode using a old gm small block?

Gmperformance truck forum might net more information.

ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Aug 01 2020, 4:22pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:Answer your question, no. I’ve not seen it on any of the gm sites during all the years I have been on them.

99% of people install the TSP DOD delete kit with a nice cam and move on. I’ve not even seen a solid lifter kit for the afm ls/lt based engines.

Wasn’t that engine masters episode using a old gm small block?

Gmperformance truck forum might net more information.

Yes it is using a non LS engine the theory remains the same even for my 2015 5.3
Here is the episode that got my imagination going. again it is not something I would do or have done until the question has been answered and a good parts list and possible machine work list is complied. Personally I doubt I would drive my truck long enough to have to do a AFM delete but I do plan on accumulating parts I would need and or want during the delete. Yet I am unwilling to be just another sheep willing to buy what everyone else has purchased
just because it is the easiest way of getting said parts. If it takes two three years to get the information I need I am happy with that. I can say if I have no choice but to do a AFM delete before my research is complete I will be using parts from manufactures that I at least have personal experience with,even if that takes having a cam custom made.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancherroorancher is online! » Aug 01 2020, 4:30pm

Perhaps you should just go for one of these, instead.........

https://sdparts.com/c-1029417-engine-tr ... erformance

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

102,900 miles 8/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancherroorancher is online!
Topics: 92
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Aug 01 2020, 4:33pm

roorancher wrote:Perhaps you should just go for one of these, instead.........

https://sdparts.com/c-1029417-engine-tr ... erformance

Sure you buying? I will get next round honest. LOL
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 01 2020, 4:41pm

Yeah I watched that a few years ago when it came out. Wanted to make sure we were talking about the same episode. The lt/ls engines are different with their rocker arm setup.

And you don’t “have” to do a dod delete. Very few people have issues with it if they turned it off via a tuner or range device early in the engines life.

Also not sure why you’re so stuck on only using companies you dealt with in the past. There is a whole new group of people making parts for these newer engines.

Nothing like the bbc and sbc engines of the past. And no reason to go backwards in tech

Last edited by ferraiolo1 on Aug 01 2020, 4:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8