jQuery not supported.

AFM delete with solid roller lifters w/ a hydraulic cam

Re: AFM delete with solid roller lifters w/ a hydraulic cam

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Aug 02 2020, 1:25am

When I said a stock cam I meant and should have been obvious what I meant which is a cam that has the same intake and exhaust profiles that match the non AFM cylinders on a AFM motor.
And yes I would want to buy or have a cam ground where I could just buy stock OEM length push rods meant for the non AFM cylinders and install them knowing they were the right length. I have no desire to make my super heavy truck into something it is not. it is a truck an Ex Uhaul truck at that it is not a track day race car, or a vehicle I would take to a drag strip it is just a truck I enjoy to drive I could care less about headers and dual exhaust larger injectors high stall speed converters, drive shaft loops and roll bars all you people with endless budgets can add Nitrous and or superchargers and blow up your engine till the cows come home for all I care.

This article written by Larry Carley who has more than 30 years of experience in the automotive aftermarket, including experience as an ASE-certified technician, and has won numerous awards for his articles. He has written 12 automotive-related books and developed automotive training software.
Wrote the following article for Engine Builder magazine back in 2012
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/0 ... %20lift%20.
A small clip the section that interested me I cut and pasted below. In general he suggest in this article for the masses that it is best to stick with lifters that match the cam, which is reasonable however there is one caveat to his statement ," As a rule, running solid lifters on a hydraulic cam will reduce the effective duration of the cam at lower rpm. This will move the peak torque and horsepower curve to a lower rpm range, which may or may not be advantageous depending on what you are trying to accomplish" For me that means more fun at a RPM that is easier on the engine. However who even knows what engine he was going on about? obviously results vary people have done this over the years and will continue to do so. it is not just me that asked this question.

Again I cannot stress this enough I am not the guy that is going to be installing a solid roller lifters in my truck. I merely asked a simple question that will hopefully be answered one day by the poor bastard that tried this in his or hers x AFM engine.

I will say I went on the Texas Speed website and watched their tour video and I do like what I see. and the fact they will even custom grind a cam for you and or even build a engine to the customers specs this is more than I can say for the manufactures I dealt with in the past.

What I do not like about the whole AFM disable and the AFM delete is that its not legal. even buying the Texas Speed & Performance kit it says right online Racing Use Only, Not Legal for Road Use.
Now do not get your feathers all ruffled up I know everyone does it, the only other choice is to proactively replace parts that commonly fail with AFM before they fail and we all know that is a loosing battle.

The fact that I have a engine in a truck that I purchased without researching enough that has this potential issue is on me. because I did not research it enough.
I saw what I thought I liked and I bought it now I get to deal with the fall out when and if a AFM failure happens before I get a chance to delete it.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 02 2020, 1:46am

You’re still WAYYY over thinking it. Drive the truck. Turn afm off. Worry less.

And yes doing all that work for a stock grind profile cam is silly. You can change the duration slightly and not have to worry about special push rods and still gain performance.

But again, another thing tsp already has figured out.

They literally take all the guess work out of it.

This engine may be new to you. but take almost everything you knew about sbc and bbcs and toss it.

The LT1 based engine has been out for 6 years now. There are copious amounts of information about it. Since it’s the same basic layout as the corvette, Camaros, and suvs you can cross reference forums and platforms if you really want to drive yourself information mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Aug 02 2020, 2:14am

ferraiolo1 wrote:You’re still WAYYY over thinking it. Drive the truck. Turn afm off. Worry less.

And yes doing all that work for a stock grind profile cam is silly. You can change the duration slightly and not have to worry about special push rods and still gain performance.

But again, another thing tsp already has figured out.

They literally take all the guess work out of it.

This engine may be new to you. but take almost everything you knew about sbc and bbcs and toss it.

The LT1 based engine has been out for 6 years now. There are copious amounts of information about it. Since it’s the same basic layout as the corvette, Camaros, and suvs you can cross reference forums and platforms if you really want to drive yourself information mad.

This is a simple thread with one simple question ( for fun based on theory and the potential to learn something )
It is abundantly clear that you have not done this will not do this and wouldn't even consider it drinking lots of beer, this I clearly understand, now run along and create your own thread with your rantings about what people should be thinking buying and doing with your blessing. Get over yourself already I have.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Aug 02 2020, 2:22am

Ouch!!!!
Play nice boys!!!

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

105,200 miles 9/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 02 2020, 2:22am

You posted a theory that doesn’t apply to our engines. Nor will it as parts Arnt really out there. You received feedback that differs from your opinion that comes from a different platform of engines from a different era And you have gotten defensive.

We have all been around these engines for years. We are just trying to educate you on something, you admittedly said you didn’t do enough research on.

It’s the internet. Don’t take things personally.

SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby tsuintx » Aug 02 2020, 2:52am

I know I don’t have the answer, but consider this: This thread has now been going on for two weeks and nobody has given you the answer you want or are looking for. Pretty sure that’s a sign that that nobody here has one for you.

Therefore, I would suggest you post your question on Performancetrucks.net and see what you get on there. A lot more guys opening up and modifying engine intenals than here. Just be warned: People over there can be even more blunt than here.

Good luck!
2016 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab
2010 Tahoe LT2
2012 BMW K1600GTL Premium
tsuintx
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: 4x4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Aug 02 2020, 8:51am

You guys just do not get it, this is a simple question that I am perfectly fine not getting an answer to on this forum or ever getting an answer to.
I just do not need constant over and over BS ramblings when they are not fact based. ( show me the dyno evidence and maintenance logs to prove this theory does not apply to our engines until then I get it you do not agree ) now stop with this childish behavior before I send you to your room!!!!
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 02 2020, 12:13pm

They aren’t out there. Because people don’t do it to lt engines. I’m not sure how valve lash would even be set. Since our rockers are torqued and that’s it. There is no adjustment specs. Again, not like a sbc

I’m sure you could have a custom set up made. Would be interesting if some would make vvt work with the cam though

ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Previous

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8