jQuery not supported.

AFM delete with solid roller lifters w/ a hydraulic cam

AFM delete with solid roller lifters w/ a hydraulic cam

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jul 18 2020, 10:23pm

I was watching Engine Masters today on velocity with David Freiburger of Roadkill Steve Dulcich of Engine Masters magazine and Steve Brule of Westech Performance Group anyways today they did a test to compare solid lifters vs hydraulic using a hydraulic camshaft. Turns out the solid lifters won out showing higher horse power and torque numbers across the rpm range except for a small spot in the rpm range.
Anyways on the surface it looks like going to a solid roller lifter with longer push rods lowers the weight of the lifters considerably and with a tight lash setting will gain you free horse power vs using the same cam with hydraulic roller lifters.( mainly because the lifter will not bleed down or get mushy loosing lift thus losing potential performance )
What they could not prove or find out yet was how reliable this set up would be.
It seems if quality parts are used and rocker arm lubrication is verified and fine tuned this may be the way to go when doing an AFM delete.
Keep in mind I am not talking about tearing the engine apart and making many modifications trying to gain every ounce of power from it, but I think going with a quality set solid roller lifters that are meant for a higher lift, duration and rpm camshaft using them on a less aggressive hydraulic cam may give us one less thing to worry about and get more power as a side effect.

So the question Freiburger asked during the show and I am also asking has anyone done this swap while doing a AFM delete? if so has it been reliable?
Sure a more aggressive solid lifter cam tighter stronger valve springs and other mods could further increase performance, But I am not looking for max output and poor reliability which is why this interest me.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: AFM delete with solid roller lifters w/ a hydraulic cam

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jul 28 2020, 6:33pm

Still looking for input or opinions on this subject. I am slowly accumulating the parts I need or I should say want for a real AFM delete for now I plan on just getting a quality hydraulic roller kit from a name brand manufacturer I know and have used in the past yet so far I have only found kits from sources that are unknown to me.
I like Erson cams but they seem to not have anything in kit form, I still have to dig in deeper and learn more about what is required for the swap then I can cherry pick the parts I want to install.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jul 28 2020, 6:58pm

There may be a few people that could help with theory on here, not sure if any have actually done it.

If you really wanted some feedback you might would need to check out performancetrucks.net
131,500 as of 7/21/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jul 28 2020, 8:13pm

Just buy the tried and true Texas speed kit when you decided to mod your engine. They have been one of the leading builders and part suppliers of ls and lt based engines.

No reason to reinvent the wheel here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby tsuintx » Jul 28 2020, 9:39pm

I agree with Mike above. While Texas Speed might not be familiar to you specifically, they've been around for a long time and I don't think I've heard too many bad comments about anything they do. I've bought parts from them in the past when I was involved in the GM LT1/LS1 F-body realm.

Otherwise you just need to keep on piecing things together part by part from the companies you know and trust. I don't think there are too many people at least on here who have used something other than Texas Speed. That's probably why you haven't received much feedback here. As suggested by Bradley, PT.net might be a good option for you to dig deeper into things. Guys there modify their engines quite a bit more than around here.

Good luck with your research on other options. Remember to post your findings so others may follow your lead, if so desired.
2016 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab
2010 Tahoe LT2
2012 BMW K1600GTL Premium
tsuintx
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: 4x4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jul 29 2020, 12:38am

Bradley21sanders wrote:There may be a few people that could help with theory on here, not sure if any have actually done it.

If you really wanted some feedback you might would need to check out performancetrucks.net

thanks I will check them out.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jul 29 2020, 12:54am

My main goal with this thread is to not reinvent the wheel when it comes to AFM delete. The main point about this thread is if using a solid roller lifters with a cam designed for hydraulic lifters that has been proven to increase performance considerably and would seem on the surface could increase reliability does it in the real world not just on paper.
Texas speed, Erson Cams, Edelbrock,Comp Cams, hell anyone with the machinery could make a kit using solid lifters but has it been done and tested for longevity.
At very least it would be more maintenance trying to keep up with the lash adjustments.
I can tell you when I get around to doing my AFM delete or paying to get it done it will be using a hydraulic roller lifters. I am not young enough or in good enough shape to drive around with a test mule motor. LOL. I was just curious.
I can tell you why I have never heard of Texas speed is because they opened up about the same time I got out working on vehicles for a living. They have been around since 2002 so they must be doing something right.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Jul 29 2020, 2:07pm

Having come from the era of the original solid lifters I can tell you that you do not want them. Having to pull the valve covers and adjust them regularly sucked! Get the hydraulic cam you want and hydraulic lifters and you can not wonder andworry about it.
Walkers
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jul 29 2020, 2:50pm

The frequent adjustment is the only thing I can think would suck about going with solid roller lifters especially with a tall truck.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jul 29 2020, 3:29pm

Yeah you’re going backwards in technology for a daily driver.

The performance gains on a relatively stock engine would not be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Year: 2017
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Next

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8