jQuery not supported.

Fuel Injector Fire

Fuel Injector Fire

Postby hcaz32000 [OP] » Aug 05 2020, 5:24am

A couple of months ago, I came to the forum asking for advice about an issue I was having with my 2017 Silverado with 55,000 miles on it. I took the advice of many posters to take it to another dealership to have a second diagnostics done on it.

The initial dealer wanted to replace all eight fuel injectors, fuel pump and fuel line.

The second dealer wanted to simply replace a bank of fuel injectors that were bad. They are a GM Certified Elite dealer in the area. I felt my truck was in good hands.

We started this situation with the dealer being super busy that day and giving me a loaner car because they wouldn't be able to get to it until the next day. The next afternoon they called and let me know what they had come up with and ordered the parts.

It took 3 weeks to get all 4 injectors in. They are on backorder and all the dealers in the area who had extra were waiting on their own to finish jobs.

The morning the injectors came in, my truck was parked in the dealers lot. The person who manages the lot was moving cars around. He grabbed the key for my truck and turned the ignition. Ignoring the red lock out tag.

The bank of injectors being placed were disassembled. Gas shot all over the engine and sparked creating a fire.

116583600_622743588372588_1797488647577077128_n.jpg

My truck was deemed totaled.

I made a call to GM customer service two weeks ago. I was told they would call me back in one business days. Still waiting two weeks later. Still dealing with the dealerships insurance company who tried to screw me on the truck by not providing replacement value. The cost to replace the truck has become more expensive and bank interest rates have climbed.

I'm at a complete loss of words for the customer service, quality of parts and overall GM experience right now after being a 4th generation Silverado owner.
Original Poster
hcaz32000
Topics: 2
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: All-Star v8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Fuel Injector Fire

Postby desertboy13 » Aug 05 2020, 5:53am

HOLY [email protected] BRO...

That just $ucks..

And than the dealership screwing u over..

Hope it works out

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk
desertboy13
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Stevenmorris.us » Aug 05 2020, 7:24am

Where are you at on this? I am sure you have been told this, but a lawyer to send a letter is not much. I promise you will get better results and faster after letter is sent. I am not sure of replacement cost, I thought insurance would just give market value and it’s up to Gap to cover rest of owed more than worth. If they won’t work with you or dealership won’t help to replace I would get a lawyer he can add his bill to dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevenmorris.us
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2015
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Aug 07 2020, 2:12am

This has nothing to do with GM. It's on the dealer and their liability. Your own 'comprehensive' insurance coverage should cover this. File a claim with your own insurance. They will go after the dealer to recover their losses.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Bought new. 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Raptor, Boss Sport Duty plow, SL1 LED's. 20,890 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby khory » Oct 12 2020, 8:47pm

I would reach out to GM corporate as well. This dealership is damaging their brand. They may be able to help resolve things.
khory
Topics: 1
Year: 2020
Variant: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gphipps33 » Oct 12 2020, 9:44pm

After my wife was involved in an accident where her vehicle was totaled, not her fault. I was told by an attorney that the insurance company/at fault party are only responsible for the value of the loss, not replacement value.

This is in Ohio so your laws may be different.
gphipps33
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Oct 12 2020, 11:01pm

I think you can call their insurance and file a claim on there behalf or something like that. It was like that with a rental house I had and the lawyer said we could do that to really piss them off if they kept ignoring him.
135,000 as of 9/25/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 57
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Zrock » Oct 13 2020, 4:10pm

Well for one thats the dealers job to replace your truck as it was their mistake that caused the damage. The dealer should be replacing it out of their own pocket and deal with the insurance on their own time getting you back on the road. That was their tech's fault and not the yard boys fault as since the truck was not able to run along with the lockout tag the battery should have been disconnected.

On a side note i would have went with dealer one... When we do injector work we always replace the lines that way their is no risk of failure
Zrock
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 57
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jeverts » Oct 17 2020, 1:38am

Something similar happened to a bus when I worked for Ohio State. I was a bus driver for them while I was a student there. The mechanic ignored the maintenance tag when he went out to warm them up for the day one winter morning. A short in the heater switch caused this.
bus2.jpg

As the previous poster mentioned though, this is the sole responsibility of the dealership, which in this case is independent of GM. If you contact your insurance company, they will go through all of the proper channels of filing a claim with their insurance company. They have a special interest in it, as it is them that insures the vehicle and they have the lawyer backing to make sure things move expediently. Is there any update on this? Have you gotten anywhere with the dealership?
2014 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 5.3L
2004 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 5.3L
jeverts
Topics: 51
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 LT Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8