jQuery not supported.

GDI VALVE COKING MAINTENANCE

GDI VALVE COKING MAINTENANCE

Postby RSELBY [OP] » Nov 08 2017, 8:10pm

got my truck with some miles on it, and doubt it previous owner ever done anything as far as valve coking treatments, i now have 85k on it and got a oil catch can ( mcnally RX speed works) and was going to use some CRC intake valve cleaner , I dont have any CEL lights on or any issues , just want to try and keep it in good condition , what is everyones take on doing this, dont want to remove intake manifold and dive into that yet as it runs good ( little rough idle sometimes )
Original Poster
RSELBY
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: GDI VALVE COKING MAINTENANCE

Postby ferraiolo1 » Nov 08 2017, 8:24pm

Tuner Boost wrote:Just to add some info, if you have a 2014 or newer, do NOT use any solvent based upper induction cleaner!! While these work well and safe with port injection engines, the new GDI engines build up a very hard baked on crystalline deposit that becomes as abrasive as sand over time, and is far more than any Port injection engine would ever form. Even at low mileage such as 20k miles, these treatments have caused scouring (scratches) to the piston skirts and cylinder walls as the smaller hard particles get forced between the piston and cylinder wall when performing. Also, with all engines, change oil and filter immediately after to avoid the risk of a rod bearing or other failure from the amount of solvent and debris that gets pushed past the rings during a process. Only a manual cleaning can remove deposits form a GDI engine safely and completely.

If anyone needs instructions, let me know. Happy to share how.

PM tunerboost if you have any other questions about it. He has a few posts about the cleanings
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Re: GDI VALVE COKING MAINTENANCE

Postby RSELBY [OP] » Nov 08 2017, 8:37pm

WOW glad I have not done anything yet , thanks for that
Original Poster
RSELBY
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8