jQuery not supported.

L83 FBO Power?

L83 FBO Power?

Postby BlackRado97 [OP] » Aug 31 2020, 4:20am

Anyone have an idea of what numbers a full bolt on L83 with E85 puts down? A buddy of mine has his setup like that and it’s pretty quick. I understand that the LT based motors are pretty stout once you put power to them. What I can’t understand is why my 2012 FBO, Cam, Stall and gears truck won’t absolutely destroy him in every race? I can pull out in front, but only barely and some of the races, it keeps up pretty nicely up top. The only race where I liked the outcome was on a 50 roll that we did but I didn’t ask if anything happened on his end. We’re both crew cabs as well. I know that the tuner can play a factor as well, but I should still be able to pull ahead easy and stay there. I may very well be wrong being that I’m asking this question
Original Poster
BlackRado97
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: L83 FBO Power?

Postby 19trax95 » Aug 31 2020, 12:42pm

What are you considering full bolt on? I assume headers and intake, but anything else?

Base hp on the L83 is 355, so assuming he has headers and intake alone, I'd estimate maybe 380 on the higher end at the crank on e85. If he has a cam then it all depends what the specs are, and if it does have a cam, I would assume it has a torque converter to match the cam.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 135
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby BlackRado97 [OP] » Aug 31 2020, 2:04pm

19trax95 wrote:What are you considering full bolt on? I assume headers and intake, but anything else?

Base hp on the L83 is 355, so assuming he has headers and intake alone, I'd estimate maybe 380 on the higher end at the crank on e85. If he has a cam then it all depends what the specs are, and if it does have a cam, I would assume it has a torque converter to match the cam.

Yes all he has is Longtube headers, cold air intake and tuned for E85. My 2012 is the truck that has a cam
Original Poster
BlackRado97
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Aug 31 2020, 2:11pm

Its just a matter of his having more power then.

But gear ratios and transmissions are also a factor for sure.

What is your gear ratio and tire size vs his? And what trans does he have vs what you have?
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby BlackRado97 [OP] » Aug 31 2020, 2:19pm

19trax95 wrote:Its just a matter of his having more power then.

But gear ratios and transmissions are also a factor for sure.

What is your gear ratio and tire size vs his? And what trans does he have vs what you have?

His gear ratio is the stock 3.73 and he has the 8 speed transmission and my truck (2012) has the 6 speed and I changed my gears to a 3.90 ratio. As far as wheels and tires go, we literally have the exact same GMC stock wheel from 2016 and are both on 275/55/20 tires
Original Poster
BlackRado97
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Aug 31 2020, 2:41pm

Yeah thats just a case of him having more power (maybe) and a more ideal gear ratio and trans setup.

The 5.3 in the gmt900 made 320hp at the crank. The l83 is 355hp. So figure cam, headers and intake on yours, your probably around 370hp or so. Maybe more, maybe less. Depends on your exact setup obviously, and tuning.

With his headers and intake he's probably around the same, again, depending on tuning.

But with the 8 speed trans, and the 3.73 ratio, its easier for his motor to remain in its power band for a longer period of time, which will help keep his speed up and keep pulling.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby BlackRado97 [OP] » Aug 31 2020, 3:42pm

19trax95 wrote:Yeah thats just a case of him having more power (maybe) and a more ideal gear ratio and trans setup.

The 5.3 in the gmt900 made 320hp at the crank. The l83 is 355hp. So figure cam, headers and intake on yours, your probably around 370hp or so. Maybe more, maybe less. Depends on your exact setup obviously, and tuning.

With his headers and intake he's probably around the same, again, depending on tuning.

But with the 8 speed trans, and the 3.73 ratio, its easier for his motor to remain in its power band for a longer period of time, which will help keep his speed up and keep pulling.

Wow that’s crazy how much of a difference a transmission can make, which I know they make a difference, but this is the first time experiencing it first hand. What you said definitely makes sense though

And those Gen V motors respond to power adders a lot better than I thought if we’re about the same power level
Original Poster
BlackRado97
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Aug 31 2020, 4:52pm

Those are just round numbers. Actual gains vary greatly depending on exact specs, tuning, altitude, air temp, fuel, etc.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

L83 FBO Power?

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 31 2020, 5:13pm

He also picks up 25hp just by running e85 on the stock tune. Per gm specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8