jQuery not supported.

Lifter failure

Lifter failure

Postby daddio211 [OP] » Jul 22 2021, 1:51am

Has anyone had any level of success getting Mother GM to cover their miserable design of the collapsing lifters? The whole world knows what a failure they've made and I don't expect GM to admit fault anytime soon. Think of all of the people they would have to pay back, and all of the remaining trucks they'd have to fix.

So here's my personal situation:
Bought my truck new in December 2017 and have put about 30,000 per year on it. I'm meticulous about maintenance: oil changes at 20% (usually around 4500 miles) with Mobil 1 full synthetic, trans flush at 50,000, diff fluid... basically everything. I take excellent care of my truck so I can personally attest that failing lifters are NOT from lack of proper maintenance or hard driving.

Truck is now at 98,500 miles and suddenly developed a rough idle with code for cylinder 5 misfire. Off idle (say 850 RPM) roughness stopped, never experienced it while driving at all. I knew it was time for plugs so I threw some in, noticed the sound of a stuck lifter.

Took it to the dealership and told them to diagnose it, but also told them I'm pretty sure is was a stuck/collapsed lifter. They diagnosed it first as a bad injector which I disagreed with but they insisted. I explained if that didn't fix it I wouldn't be paying for it. Of course, that didn't fix it.

Next they claimed to have done a compression and leak down test and reported everything was good. GM told them (dealership) to replace the ECM. They did, no change. Replaced it with a second new ECM, no change. Back to my original ECM, no change. (duh!)

They told me Monday that they thought it was a valve and wanted to scope it but didn't have the correct attachments for their scope. They offered to put the truck back together (basically put the valve cover back on) until they had the parts - 2 or 3 months! I told them to pull a head and look, which they did.

They called today and said, "Sure enough, collapsed lifters on cylinder 5 and it wiped out the cam lobes." Yeah, no kidding!

They quoted me $7300 to replace all of the lifters and cam, no AFM/DOD delete OR $8500 for a new engine with WHAT!? You guessed it... a 3 YEAR 100,000 MILE WARRANTY!!!! :angry:

By 2017 GM was so ashamed of (legally liable?) the LT design that they had cut their warranty from 5/100,000 to 3/36,000. I think that happened by 2015, maybe. So yes, I'm out of warranty on a truck that has been METICULOUSLY cared for.

I told them today to not go any further and called a few friends. Looks like the average rate for pulling heads, resurfacing them, installing all new lifters and a cam is about $3600. Bump that up to a Stage 1 or Stage 2 cam, upgraded springs and lifters plus DOD delete AND TUNING is $4600.

First of all, I know my dealership will work with me on pricing to a degree. They're good, honest people but they're there to make money. The service manager was gone for the day when I got the call, and even the service writer said "This is the book cost, we'll do better but I didn't want to wait until tomorrow to tell you."

I know there's a class action on the 2020/2021 trucks that has started, but what's been done about the 2014 to 2019 trucks? Anyone know? If I'd bought this truck used I'd chalk this up to abuse from a previous owner but there's no way lifters should fail early like this. I know of people having them fail as low as 6500 miles. A friend of mine that worked at a dealership last year said they were unloading 2020 trucks off of the transport with 3 miles on them that had stuck lifters!

Any thoughts? Any advice? Any experience? Am I just going to have to pony up and pay?
Original Poster
daddio211
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2017
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Lifter failure

Postby 19trax95 » Jul 22 2021, 2:36am

The powertrain warranty was changed in 2016 to 60,000 miles or 5 years. Whichever comes first. It used to be 100k or 5 years. Diesels are still 100k.

I highly, highly doubt you'll get any assistance from GM. It's a known and unfortunately fairly common issue. Failures aren't super wide spread, but they obviously happen. Was one of the reasons I dumped my 1500.

My father has had 2 trucks, a 2009 and his current 2018, have AFM failure. His 09 took the whole motor with it due to metal from the cam packing the filter, which then bypassed, sending said metal to the mains, which spun and wiped the crank and block. That was at 20k miles. Got a new long block under warranty obviously.

The 2018 got just the lifters replaced at just under 50k. He had AFM disabled since literally day one. So obviously that does nothing to prevent failure.

If I were in your shoes, I'd either dump the truck, and get an HD truck, or do a AFM delete. Thats the only way you'll ever have any semblance of a reliable motor in my opinion
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 142
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jul 22 2021, 3:14am

What Rick said. Put an AFM delete kit in it from Texas Speed, and keep on going. The dealer won't do it for you...they'll just put the same crap back in the motor....

If you do a search on the site for Texas Speed I'm sure all kinds of threads will come up about different delete kits guys have purchased and installed.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

129,559 miles as of 08/01/21

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 123
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby daddio211 [OP] » Jul 22 2021, 3:17am

Thanks for the reply, Trax. I figured as much, not likely GM will step up.

I'm going to fix it right then sell it. Not going to AFM/DOD delete it though as I think that should be the new owners decision. Been thinking about a new F**d, LOL.
Original Poster
daddio211
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby daddio211 [OP] » Jul 22 2021, 3:19am

Thanks Roo, I've already looked at those and if I decide to keep the truck I'm definitely deleting. Just not sure if I'll keep it yet.
Original Poster
daddio211
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jul 22 2021, 3:20am

Good luck with that one lol.

I wouldn't buy any truck built in 2020 or 2021. Way too many issue across all brands. Heck, good luck even finding a brand new truck right now haha.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 142
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby daddio211 [OP] » Jul 22 2021, 3:27am

Amen to that, Trax! I'm considering pre-ordering a Maverick for a daily but will definitely have a used GM truck to pull my trailers around, probably a 88-98 crew cab.
Original Poster
daddio211
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EdgecrusherXES » Jul 22 2021, 5:04pm

daddio211 wrote:Thanks for the reply, Trax. I figured as much, not likely GM will step up.

I'm going to fix it right then sell it. Not going to AFM/DOD delete it though as I think that should be the new owners decision. Been thinking about a new F**d, LOL.

F*** has it's own share of problems. EcoBoost v6 the water pump resides behind the timing chain cover so when not if the water pump goes it empties into the crank case. Say goodbye to the bearings want to know how I know I helped a friend on his that conveniently was just out of warranty and F*** wanted to replace the motor. He ended up having it repaired with a local shop, sold it, and now has a T***. It is honestly not GM's fault it is the stupid EPA and Fed that are to blame. Car makers have to increase fuel economy because of all the rules.
I did the AFM delete with Texas Speed parts they are great people and I will say you will love your truck more after the AFM delete even if you do not go with a performance cam. You will have a more reliable engine and you will see a slight bump in power ditching the AFM due to mass reduction at the valvetrain but nothing huge more just a little more responsive.
Once my dad's truck falls out of warranty he wants me to do the AFM delete and have his tuned. Still working on him to add a supercharger. :lol:
2014 Silverado LTZ Texas Edition 4x4
Magnusson TVS2300
TSP Cam & AFM delete
EdgecrusherXES
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4 3.73 SC
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jul 22 2021, 6:57pm

If you can get it fixed in a timely manner, next few months, you could sell it for a good bit due to the market conditions.

I personally would pay a little extra, if I were in the market for a truck like that, if it had the AFM deleted when it was fixed. Of course with paperwork, food for thought.

Or if you fix it right without AFM then you can drive it for another 5 years+ problem free.
150,602 as of 6/28/21
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 63
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby 2001 chevy silverado » Jul 22 2021, 11:53pm

If you take a car to a dealer and say "I think it's an expensive lifter problem", and they give you a $7,300 lifter problem diagnosis that tells me ...

#1 DiY fix it yourself your already knowing enough

#2 they lied. it's a simple fix and they told you it's a lifter since they knew you'd believe it

I'd immediately

* either get a F***, forget your frustrations with GM, knowing F*** also has "secrets to discover"

* take it to another shop - get an independant review and don't say a word about lifters

* DiY - diagnose the problem yourself and fix it yourself. if you do so remember to be damn sure it's the lifters before spending all the time / money to do it. make sure this "lag or noise" isn't something far simpler
2001 chevy silverado
Year: 2001
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 6 cyl 4.0 L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8